View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Episode 125: Salted Water 
house manwoody lord

LordManderBlee wrote:
I love Manderly more than anyone :D but I don't think for a second that he's escaping this story intact. He is the villain in virtually every medieval story ever, he fed people their own kin in pie form and enjoyed every second of it. His end will probably be quite brutal.

Could be, but I'm not so sure...
I mean yeah, he's probably going to die, but he's not exactly the Rat Cook or anything. In all fairness, they totally deserved it (both the ones that went into the pies and the ones that the pies went into), and you gotta remember Manderly not only ate a slice of each of those pies too himself, but actually went back for seconds... But mainly:
"It was not for murder that the gods cursed him, {...} nor for serving the Andal king his son in a pie. A man has a right to vengeance. But he slew a guest beneath his roof, and that the gods cannot forgive."
So the guest gifts Lord Wyman gave those 3 Freys constitutes a Westerosi divine loophole, which earns him a pass on this one. He wasn't their host anymore, and Old Nan gives vengeance against non-guests the thumbs up. :) When has old Nan ever been wrong about anything?

If there's still confusion about who Tyrek Lannister is (/was), he's the one who was married to a baby, earning himself the name "Wetnurse". Personally, I think we're more likely to see Benjen again, and I doubt that will happen. I'll be glad if I'm wrong though, even if he is a wight or something.

It's entirely possible Stannis himself dubbed Ser Davos "The Onion Knight" upon knighting him - after Blackwater I remember there was a Brune (Lothor?) who was given the name "Apple Eater" from the king (via his hand IIRC?). So it might even be quite likely. Even though it is more often used derisively by Stannis' other (highborn) knights. And speaking of apples, I think that either I misunderstood something that was said in this podcast episode, or else you guys got the Fossoways and the Florents mixed up there - just for a brief moment - talking about them being either red or green. No big deal, only mentioning it because it ties in with the apple eater thing.

It's so awesome that you guys seem to be recording more often these days! Should've called this episode "The Return of Ashlo". 'Cause I'm pretty sure she missed a few... Seems right anyhow. But with the kind of day I'm having, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn I'm mistaken about that and probably a shocking amount of other things I've just typed as well...

Anyhow, back to work now...

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Loophole is the key word though Arristan. Fate's not going to let the man slide because of a loophole, what he did was super super wrong, you can't really justify feeding someone their own family. We'll see though! And yeah it was nice to have Ashley back! Also, they mentioned both the Florents and Fossoways separately, so you just got a touch mixed up :D

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:13 pm
house manwoody lord

Thanks for setting me straight LMB - I must have drifted off and been paying attention to the road for a moment there or something... :)

Time will tell about the fat man, as you say. But I've never known Old Nan to be wrong before... You do realize though, anything short of getting transformed into a giant albino rodent that never dies and is constantly hungry for his own children, and I'm calling it a get out of hell free card from the gods to Lord Wyman!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

I have to agree with Arristan here and say Manderlee's death not a for sure thing. Maybe wishful thinking but as he pointed out the moral of the Rat Cook was guest right not deceptive cannabalism. I say the death's were justified and, hey,it's winter: meat is scarce. The gods may actually commend him for not being wasteful :lol:

In the Davos chapter I thought it was funny that Melisandre uses half rotten onions as an analogy here. What amuses me is that later in Sam's chapter just before shit gets real at Craster's he is eating (drum roll please) a half rotten onion. Turns out you can just cut the rotten part off and maybe human beings shouldn't be judged in black and white. :roll:

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:07 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Arristan the Old wrote:
Thanks for setting me straight LMB - I must have drifted off and been paying attention to the road for a moment there or something... :)

Time will tell about the fat man, as you say. But I've never known Old Nan to be wrong before... You do realize though, anything short of getting transformed into a giant albino rodent that never dies and is constantly hungry for his own children, and I'm calling it a get out of hell free card from the gods to Lord Wyman!

Good point ser. I bet he gets turned into a giant child eating walrus. Also, his life is already a horror story! "THey cut his throat but he was so fat he didn't die!!!!" That sounds like a child's horror story to me.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 pm
house tyrell

Salt is an electrolyte, right? So Stannis is effectively into sugar-free sports drinks, just without the plastic sipper bottles and colorful labels.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:16 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Tom 162 wrote:
Salt is an electrolyte, right? So Stannis is effectively into sugar-free sports drinks, just without the plastic sipper bottles and colorful labels.

That makes perfect sense!! He would drink a sports drink with no sugar.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:51 pm
house manwoody lord

Lady_Grey wrote:
I have to agree with Arristan here and say Manderlee's death not a for sure thing. Maybe wishful thinking but as he pointed out the moral of the Rat Cook was guest right not deceptive cannabalism. I say the death's were justified and, hey,it's winter: meat is scarce. The gods may actually commend him for not being wasteful :lol:...

I love it when people agree with me... but technically, I actually said he probably will die (this is Westeros after all)... Just that he's probably not cursed by the gods. At least not for feeding Freys to Freys...

LMB - a giant child eating walrus! LOL, I love it!

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Arristan the Old wrote:
Lady_Grey wrote:
I have to agree with Arristan here and say Manderlee's death not a for sure thing. Maybe wishful thinking but as he pointed out the moral of the Rat Cook was guest right not deceptive cannabalism. I say the death's were justified and, hey,it's winter: meat is scarce. The gods may actually commend him for not being wasteful :lol:...

I love it when people agree with me... but technically, I actually said he probably will die (this is Westeros after all)... Just that he's probably not cursed by the gods. At least not for feeding Freys to Freys...

LMB - a giant child eating walrus! LOL, I love it!

Thanks! Come on podcast artists!!! We want a giant childeating walrus here!!!

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2