View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
What is the "feather hat theory"? 
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

They keep mentioning it, but I don't know what it is? Thanks!

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
☁ podcast art manager ☁

The feathered hat theory is one of Amin's crackpot theories. Amin goes through it in episode 36 - Feathered Hat.

It pretty says that Theon and Catelyn could have gotten together, if Catelyn had returned to Winterfell before Theon captures it.

Amin had the theory that Catelyn would become Theon's bedslave, and proved it through a quote from A Game of Thrones where Theon promised to give Catelyn 'a feathered hat'.

It also followed that feathered hats were generally worn by whores (or so Amin said) therefore Theon was offering to make Catelyn his whore.

Complete nonsense of course, but still hilarious (especially reading AGOT agian haha)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Oh, okay. Weird, but funny. I love all of the crazy theorizing you can do with these books.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
☑ guest host ♘

I'm still not sure where Amin got the feathered hat=whore reference, but it puts a whole new layer of meaning anytime someone with feathers shows up now.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:52 am
Site Admin

Wow that is a great summary jesicka309! I'm going to make you a feathered hat just for that. Just kidding ;)

Seriously I'm glad we have our own little subculture within a subculture going on the podcast and forums.

And in relation to the question of why I thought whores wear feather hats... I think it was that I had the notion that some whores in Westeros (or Essos?) wear eccentric clothing and a feathered hat could fit within that category. I no longer remember where I got the basis for that eccentric clothing though, but it was something in the text, even if it was twisted far beyond what it was intended to convey.

Podcast historian Brynden could tell you that Feathered Hat theory hit another level in GNO V2, where Randyl Tarly was thrown into the mix by Apocalypse Dan (who later claimed it was his nemesis and "circle jerk" critic StormTrooper Dan, but there is no denying the audio record)

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:22 am
Profile WWW
☁ podcast art manager ☁

Amin wrote:
Wow that is a great summary jesicka309! I'm going to make you a feathered hat just for that. Just kidding ;)

I was actually shocked how readily that came to me. Who cares about my business degree, I should get a podcast qualification!

Amin wrote:
And in relation to the question of why I thought whores wear feather hats... I think it was that I had the notion that some whores in Westeros (or Essos?) wear eccentric clothing and a feathered hat could fit within that category. I no longer remember where I got the basis for that eccentric clothing though, but it was something in the text, even if it was twisted far beyond what it was intended to convey.

So does that mean that the Summer Islanders, who wear the fancy feathered cloaks, are really all whores? Makes total sense now. *nods*

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:55 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

jesicka309 wrote:
So does that mean that the Summer Islanders, who wear the fancy feathered cloaks, are really all whores? Makes total sense now. *nods*

Explains Chataya... didn't she mention that she and her daughter were from the Summer Islands? :)

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:13 pm
house manwoody lord

jesicka309 wrote:

I may be wrong, but I thought the Summer Islanders actually are all whores.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:36 pm
littlefingerlick.gif

Cylon wrote:
jesicka309 wrote:

I don't think their all whores, I just think they have sex a lot.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:40 pm
☁ podcast art manager ☁

Well perhaps that is the REAL Feathered Hat theory. Feathers = huge sexual appetite. And we know Cat liked sex (aching loins?). So it is quite feasible in that by offering Catelyn a feathered hat, Theon was recognising that Cat liked sex,and was willing to ease 'her ache'. ;)

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

K1NGSLAYER wrote:
Cylon wrote:
jesicka309 wrote:

But what about all the feathers?

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:46 pm
littlefingerlick.gif

Exodus wrote:
K1NGSLAYER wrote:
Cylon wrote:

They wanted to trick people in to thinking that their whores so that they get paid for sex even though they would happily do it for free. :)

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:53 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

K1NGSLAYER wrote:
Exodus wrote:
K1NGSLAYER wrote:

They wanted to trick people in to thinking that their whores so that they get paid for sex even though they would happily do it for free. :)

Hmmm. Maybe I should consider wearing some feathers. 8-)

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:58 pm
☑ bastards of kingsgrave guest host ♞

It all goes to prove that the musketeers were all Knights of the Hind Flower.

Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm
☑ guest host ♘

So this morning at work I got the following in an email (I work at an academic library) and thought y'all would appreciate it...

"[Head of Special Collections] said that [rapper] visited last week and his materials may be given to the library (with the exception of his mink coat and feather hat)."

Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 am

In A Clash of Kings, there is a quote from Theon when he is sleeping with Kira. Page 525 of COK:

"She came to him wet and eager and lithe as a weasel, and there had been a certain undeniable spice to fucking a common tavern wench in Lord Eddard Stark's own bed"

I imagine the spice would have been greater if Catelyn Stark was held captive.

Sun May 27, 2012 11:36 am
Site Admin

BTW, feather hat theory is leaving its mark on the Bastards of Kingsgrave - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1173

Sun May 27, 2012 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

jesicka309 wrote:
Amin wrote:

I was actually shocked how readily that came to me. Who cares about my business degree, I should get a podcast qualification!

Amin wrote:

Now that I think of it, I think that is what inspired it. I was looking for a connection between Theon proposing to make the feathered hat and his true intentions. By mentioning feather hat, he was showing his intention to symbolically (and physically) cloak Catelyn in the clothes of the Summer Islanders (where even the high-born practice prostitution), making her his high-born bed slave.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]