View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Episode 122: The Telltale Mimo 
team stannis

Edit - Episode inspired art: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2653
-----
Still listening. Really enjoying it.

Great impassioned defense of Quentyn the Frog Prince and by extension George and ADwD by Kyle. F' Yeah Kyle!

Definitely dark magic at Summerhall and alchemists/wildfire.

Quote:
“He is always with the red woman, and . . . he is not in his right mind, I fear. This talk of a stone dragon . . . madness, I tell you, sheer madness. Did we learn nothing from Aerion Brightfire, from the nine mages, from the alchemists? Did we learn nothing from Summerhall? No good has ever come from these dreams of dragons, I told Axell as much.

Quote:
The look Stannis gave her was dark. “Nine mages crossed the sea to hatch Aegon the Third’s cache of eggs. Baelor the Blessed prayed over his for half a year. Aegon the Fourth built dragons of wood and iron. Aerion Brightflame drank wildfire to transform himself. The mages failed, King Baelor’s prayers went unanswered, the wooden dragons burned, and Prince Aerion died screaming.”

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:09 am
★wardens of the woody★

FTWard wrote:

Great impassioned defense of Quentyn the Frog Prince and by extension George and ADwD by Kyle. F'yeah Kyle!

Totally.
FTWard wrote:

Quote:
The look Stannis gave her was dark. “Nine mages crossed the sea to hatch Aegon the Third’s cache of eggs. Baelor the Blessed prayed over his for half a year. Aegon the Fourth built dragons of wood and iron. Aerion Brightflame drank wildfire to transform himself. The mages failed, King Baelor’s prayers went unanswered, the wooden dragons burned, and Prince Aerion died screaming.”

A quote that actually explains the history of some failed dragon hatching attempts but no mention of Summerhall or Aegon V. Seems George is keeping that card close to his chest... For now.

Ok so I'm a little shocked my fellow Dany lover Mimi is being pretty harsh on her motivations at Meereen. Poor girl was trying to protect her 'children' as best she could. Say what you will about the girl, she has so far tried to learn from her mistakes and correct her perceptions when she sees a flaw with them. That is why she stayed at Meereen to rule. D's boner was a welcome relief from a pretty stressful existence she burdened herself with. It was not a motivator in staying away from Westeros.

PS. Kyle is extra fine when he is being humble. Loved his afterword and agreed wholeheartedly. This is an awesome time to be part of the fandom.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:12 pm
team stannis

Heh.

I always read that sentence and just equated it with Egg and Summerhall. Sometimes I can't tell my Aegons and Walders without a scorecard.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 pm
podcast doctor

kyle you are the MAN!! taking names and breaking hearts do your THANG!!

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 pm
☑ vok guest host ♝

This gives a whole other version of Summerhall:

Quote:
Barristan III (The Kingbreaker):

"The prince of dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses. All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love, in defiance of their father's wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends. Treason and turmoil followed, as night follows day, ending at Summerhall in sorcery, fire, and grief."

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:54 am
★wardens of the woody★

That's a great passage. Very interesting.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 am
for my freckles, your grace

linecom1 wrote:
kyle you are the MAN!! taking names and breaking hearts do your THANG!!

Huh? What did I do this time?

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:15 pm
for my freckles, your grace

I apologize for mentioning Justin Bieber.

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:15 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Kyle wrote:
I apologize for mentioning Justin Bieber.

I only accept that because of our shared history (as a podcast listener)

Slàinte,
Nadine.

If you piss me off I may be forced to kill you... in my book.
https://www.demonality.org/

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
brotherhood without banners

Mimi still belittling people who like the show....i'm surprised she wants a tattoo though.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm
house manwoody mongoballer

This is my theory about what happened at summerhall and how it will tie into the current story.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1633&p=34040&hilit=Summerhall#p34040

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 pm
house tinywoody lord

Beric175 wrote:
Mimi still belittling people who like the show....i'm surprised she wants a tattoo though.

Not so much the tattoo as the reason for getting one. Peer pressure tattoo?

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:45 pm
podcast doctor

Beric175 wrote:

i agree with this observation and would like to add that i dont think its intentional as i think mimi has a tendency to wear her heart on her sleeve. but i agree that its not the nicest thing to do.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:02 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

Since Mimi asked, I threw up my $.02 on Summerhall.
I put it here: http://podcastoficeandfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58401#p58401

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:02 pm
★wardens of the woody★

FTWard wrote:

Great impassioned defense of Quentyn the Frog Prince and by extension George and ADwD by Kyle. F' Yeah Kyle!

Definitely dark magic at Summerhall and alchemists/wildfire.

Quote:
“He is always with the red woman, and . . . he is not in his right mind, I fear. This talk of a stone dragon . . . madness, I tell you, sheer madness. Did we learn nothing from Aerion Brightfire, from the nine mages, from the alchemists? Did we learn nothing from Summerhall? No good has ever come from these dreams of dragons, I told Axell as much.

Quote:

Great quotes! I would also include the witch dwarf's name (shocking lack of knowledge) when she says about her weeping at summerhall over Jenny of Oldstones.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm
house baratheon

From the D&E Summerhall thread. My theory on an aspect of Summerhall.

KCenturion wrote:
My take on it is that Egg may have been desperate when he tried to hatch the dragon eggs. Recent thread on Westeros regarding the Queen of Thorns and her 'Targaryen Prince', got me thinking and I posted on there.

The War of the Ninepenny Kings was around the time of Summerhall (259AL) but our information on it is a little bit more than a shade above the information we have on Summerhall itself. The date of the War is said to be around 258/9AL but we're not exactly sure when it ended.

What if the War may not have been going well to start with? The Band of Nine had conquered the Disputed Lands, Tyrosh and the Stepstones so what if Westeros was on the losing side of the War when they first sent troops to thwart the advance and so Aegon decided to do something crazy...like attempting to hatch the dragon eggs to save his Kingdom.

A little bit more while I'm thinking this all through: As a result of the tragedy, Barristan and the Westerosi troops fought on for their deceased King and that was the push they needed to win the war against the Band, or specifically Maelys and the Golden Company.

Selmy was named to the Kingsguard by Gerold Hightower during Jaehaerys II reign. So is it safe to say that Gerold was promoted to Lord Commander, replacing Dunk, and the heroic Selmy returning from the War (in 260AL) replaced Dunk's spot in the Kingsguard?

brynden wrote:
Good ideas Centurion. Taking into account that (some) Targaryens had visions it could have been even more tragic: maybe some vision told Egg that IF he tires to hatch the eggs his kingdom will survive - and altough he didn't wanted to they attempted it for the greater good not knowing that in fact their DEATHS would be the thing that would encourage the troops. IMHO that would be a very Martin-eske thing to do.

I didn't elaborate on that Targaryen Prince theory. THEORY MODE! Olenna was betrothed to Duncan Targaryen but he set her aside to marry Jenny of Oldstones. Obviously because Olenna has outlived most of her contemporaries and she can tell whatever version of the story she likes now. "I put a stop to that."

In the same vein that Dorne were reluctant to help the Targaryen's during Robert's Rebellion, the breaking of the betrothal may have lead to the Redwyne's reluctance to send their fleet to aid the war effort which could have been going poorly.

Weirwood-Net Character Tracker - Watchlist for Winter Survey Results

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:16 am

linecom1 wrote:
Beric175 wrote:

i agree with this observation and would like to add that i dont think its intentional as i think mimi has a tendency to wear her heart on her sleeve. but i agree that its not the nicest thing to do.

I think it hurts me to hear her talk this way because I was someone who, just like with LOTR, watched the adaptation first and then went to read the books it was based on and found great joy in it and developed a huge passion for the fandom and I acknoweldge that it makes for great reading. To have others imply that the fact that I haven't discovered these books sooner and like the show makes me a lesser fan than the people who read the books first is a bit rich in my opinion. I also don't want to take away from the fact that many readers who don't like the show obviously may have very valid reasons for disliking it. But at the same time I feel that it would be nicer if people who dislike the show could go "I don't enjoy it, so it's not the thing for me but I can understand why other people who are as intelligent as me would like it" instead of saying "don't want to be associated with that shit". But maybe, as you said, that has more something to do with Mimi's blunt nature than anything else.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 am

lothen wrote:
Beric175 wrote:

Not so much the tattoo as the reason for getting one. Peer pressure tattoo?

Yeah if it's peer pressure I would advise her to not get one because that stuff stays with you forever and when the time comes when you don't want it anymore it'll leave scars and so you might regret getting it.

I had a similar temptation with smoking: I was tempted to start smoking in secondary school watching all these other people get together as a group while smoking but I didn't smoke at all and now everyone I know who smoked in secondary school (and is still smoking) tells me that I shouldn't start because they now say that it's really hard to stop.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:12 am
★wardens of the woody★

Tattoos are tricky. I got one in college and don't regret it but while I have been noodling with some other ideas for years I can not pull the trigger on them.

My rule is that you have to agree to a design for two years. That way it gives you plenty of time to think about it and negates any bad decision making due to events around you. If one can hold on to the same design for two years then it is a tattoo worth having.

FTWard wrote:
+5 to nerd cred for Eiffel :geek: :D

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:35 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sorry, i'm the worst.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:09 am
Profile WWW
podcast convert

I'm a fan of tattoos, but I agree you need to be really careful. Tastes change, etc.

Anyway, here's a pretty entertaining link to some Game of Thrones tattoos. A couple are seriously awesome (I like #4, #15, #26), most are average/bad, some are so bad it's painful! The worst is #25, I think.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hulia/31-incredible-game-of-thrones-tattoos-9r70

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:43 pm
house smallwoody

I am guessing that if it wasn't for fans of the show listening to the podcast there would not be a Geekie award or a nomination for the podcast. Funny how the podcast got super popular right when HBO started the show...just saying that I doubt Amin and Mimi would be writing essays if there was no show. Respect goes both ways...to earn it you must give it.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:33 pm
house tinywoody lord

This is one of my favorite episodes. I would say it's definitely one that has the spirit of the show's entire run in it. Really enjoyed it.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:51 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dunk the Lunk wrote:
I am guessing that if it wasn't for fans of the show listening to the podcast there would not be a Geekie award or a nomination for the podcast. Funny how the podcast got super popular right when HBO started the show...just saying that I doubt Amin and Mimi would be writing essays if there was no show. Respect goes both ways...to earn it you must give it.

doesn't matter to me; i'd still enjoy podcasting and i'm sure tower of the hand would still continue producing in-depth essays on the series. hbo didn't hand us awards or accolades. i respect and adore all of our listeners, regardless of my grousing. i don't owe a tv channel the same.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

PROSTRATE YOURSELF BEFORE THE UNDYING HBO OVERLORDS OR FACE RIGHTEOUS RETRIBUTION!

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Of course one doesn't owe the show anything but there are ASOIAF-dedicated websites where being a fan of the show is almost a liability because people will easily get into heated debates and insults are thrown around and there is just a feeling that us who joined the game later than the others are told that apparently we like the books less because the others 1) read them first and 2) dislike the show and 3) some of us actually enjoy the show for what it is: a tv adaptation that has to change things from the books so apparently when one likes good acting or good music or good cinematography, and are open-minded about what could or could not go into the show etc. that somehow says something about the love for the books. Just because I like the show does not mean it will taint my conception of the characters or events from the book. I just wished that the people who love the books would not feel like they constantly need to defend the books against the show. I guess what i'm trying to say is that even if one does not like something there are different ways to interact with people who like the very thing we dislike, some better than others but I feel that making someone feel unwanted or ignorant because they like the show is the wrong approach. I just hate the idea of "we are better than you and we know how you should think about these books and ever single character in them."

Noone disputes that a big part of why the show is successful is because it has a great foundation to work from and I don't get the idea that somehow the show will take away anything from the books that the latter are being praised for. If anything, the show will just ensure that the fanbase of the books will grow because lots of people would like to know more about the characters, the world, etc. I just don't see the utility of looking down one's nose at those who enjoy both for different reasons.

It seems to me that the kneejerk reaction from purists who treat people who like the show like they're lesser fans stems from the fact that they now wished the show hadn't been as successful as it was in terms of money and critical praise because it is a "dilluted" or "different" version of the story and so they'd rather people didn't know about ASOIAF through the show, which seems to be equivalent to the idea that they'd rather have noone else know about ASOIAF to outside of the small group of friends in general because they want to claim ownership of the fandom when in fact it belongs to all of us, no matter how much we like or dislike the show. They don't like the way the fandom is currently developing. Now I am rather more accepting of the fact that the fandom can develop either way and I still will appreciate both the books and the show in my own way and to the same extent that i always have and I sincerely respect the purists' way of appreciating them for themselves. If I had to have a gripe with every single change in the Harry Potter movies or any other adaptation and with the people whon enjoy them I'd live a pretty miserable life.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:53 pm
house payne

Yes Beric175, those are all unfortunate opinions that people hold, but as far as I can tell Mimi is not espousing any such thing. She simply doesn't like the show and would love the books regardless of whether the the show existed or not. I don't see her attacking show fans in any of the ways you've observed. A pox on judgmental folks who make things so personal. It's a shame that you've felt repressed for sharing your earnest enthusiasm (which I share) for a television program, but such accusations don't seem warranted in the case of the telltale Mimo.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:21 pm
★wardens of the woody★

It's strange to me that book purists are repeatedly cited as the defensive ones when it seems like the issue always begins with primary TV fans supposedly being "treated badly" by people who don't like the show. It's okay to not like a thing and someone not liking a thing doesn't implicitly mean they don't like the people that do.

I never took Mimi's comments on the influence of 'Game of Thrones' in her life being annoying as an indictment of the people that enjoy it.

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Pod's Plight wrote:
Yes Beric175, those are all unfortunate opinions that people hold, but as far as I can tell Mimi is not espousing any such thing. She simply doesn't like the show and would love the books regardless of whether the the show existed or not. I don't see her attacking show fans in any of the ways you've observed. A pox on judgmental folks who make things so personal. It's a shame that you've felt repressed for sharing your earnest enthusiasm (which I share) for a television program, but such accusations don't seem warranted in the case of the telltale Mimo.

There seems to be a misunderstanding: i never accused someone on this site (including Mimi) to engage in that sort of behaviour but it does occur elsewhere and I would be highly disappointed if it were to happen here. Luckily we're all responsible people here who can have a civil conversation about an issue like this.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 am

Alias wrote:
It's strange to me that book purists are repeatedly cited as the defensive ones when it seems like the issue always begins with primary TV fans supposedly being "treated badly" by people who don't like the show. It's okay to not like a thing and someone not liking a thing doesn't implicitly mean they don't like the people that do.

I never took Mimi's comments on the influence of 'Game of Thrones' in her life being annoying as an indictment of the people that enjoy it.

Neither did I actually. But due to past experience I may be overcautious or oversensitive when it comes to this. I will just clarify: I don't accuse anyone on this site of engaging in the kind of behavior or adopting that kind of mentality that I described earlier. I merely linked her comments to that larger issue that has nothing to do with her specifically but that I see happening on other sites and that I preventively wished to address and I also acknowledge that one may or may not like the show. It's all fine with me because ultimately that has nothing to do with me, it's everyone's individual decision and I do not wish to judge or change anyone else's subjective taste.

Maybe you do have a point in that I often come to the defence of the show but then again I'm not a ''primary'' tv fan because I do acknowledge that the books are better and more complex but that does not prevent me from looking past the changes that were made and still be able to go "this might work for someone who does't have the time to read the books every year".

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next