View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Podcast Production 
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

Hey Guys ,

Inspired by u guys I though I try my hand at podcasting too. Not songs of ice and fire related but for Guild Wars 2.

How do you guys do the call ? Skype or something more fancy like Vent, mumble or teamspeak

So what call recorder do you guys use ? I found this http://www.pamela.biz/en/ , but I don't like it as it prefers to record sound at a low bit rate.

I'll be Grateful for any tips of the trade you guys are willing to share , thnx :D

Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 am
Site Admin

For windows users, I use mp3 skype recorder - http://voipcallrecording.com/
I used to use Pamela ("this call is being recorded"), but our licence expired and mp3 skype recorder does everything we need quite well for free.
For mac, I'm not sure what Kyle and the rest use. It's a mac: it just works, right?

If you have uneven sound levels (some people sound louder than others) run the recorded file through levelator - http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator - It has to be in wav or aiff so if you don't record in that format need to convert to it with audacity (free) or another program.

To add album art or edit other metadata, you can use mp3 tag - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Most of the actual editing is done with audacity (free editor)

Tue May 22, 2012 11:00 am
Profile WWW

Cool Thnx for tips Amin

Tue May 22, 2012 12:21 pm
maesters of the citadel

If you have a server available (they are quite cheap) Mumble has an absolutely outstanding voice codec, and it also has a build in recorder. I have never used it for anything though, i just think voices are insanely clear.

Tue May 22, 2012 1:00 pm
house smallwoody mongoballer

I'm super annoyed this topic happend now and not a few weeks ago because I started podcasting too and looked here first for info, not knowing at all what to do.
I use skype to link up with my partner.
Then I use Total Recorder to record it. I briefly tried HotRecorder but their support folks weren't getting back to me with answers to questions.
I use AVS Audio Software to edit, but it cost me some money. But it seems worthwhile because it works really well, and is rather intuitive.
Then I use Hipcast.com to host the files. Again, this costs some money, but they also get me traffic and it makes posting the file on my blog and on iTunes super easy.
Amin has been doing this a lot longer, so if he says there are free routes around some of this stuff, it is probably the better way to go.

For those curious, I do a pop culture podcast (Because the internet needs another!) from the angle of busy parents. We never talk Thrones though because my partner doesn't watch it, and there is already a great podcast that covers it as well as anyone could. Its called Kitchen Pass Podcast and is on iTunes or kitchen-pass-podcast.blogspot.com

Wed May 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Hipcast.com looks pretty cool, thnx Motley

@Belwas , yeah i used mumble before it is pretty good , it'll probably be more reliable skype

Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 pm
Site Admin

Hmm, we should look into Mumble, given that skype has been very unstable lately.

Let this be the thread for people to suggest podcasting software/tips in general. Things like levelator and mp3tag are all software that past listeners suggested to us, so we are always open to hearing about new ways to improve the audio and technical quality of our podcasts.

Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]