View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Episode 84 
podcast historian

Started good - still listening.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:44 am
Profile WWW
house micro-woody☹

I wonder how many more "... beyond the wall" podcast titles Amin has in him.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:48 am
podcast doctor

great guest this week......good stuff from kyle as well! i think its hilarious how much the guest clearly loved the first 3 books and yet disliked the last 2 so much that he couldnt even finish adwd yet?? wow.........thats unthinkable for me..........plot development or not you're still in westros bro.......u dont wanna read more really?? talk about a love/hate relationship

oh well......thanks for the episode

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 am
★wardens of the woody★

Great episode, but I have to say that I was shocked that someone who is seen as enough of a close-reader and expert on ASOIAF to write an essay on it for a book needs to have his memory refreshed on R+L=J!.....

....also now further along in the podcast and shocked that he hasn't finished ADWD yet, especially as Dany is a major character in his arguments in his essay!

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 am
team stannis

Just through the first hour and I really really enjoyed the discussion.

When reading the article, I thought that Mr. Hartinger's definition of outcast was too broad and inconsistent (maybe necessarily) for my taste. But I found him during the interview to be very engaging and persuasive. Really good interesting stuff.

Also - KYLE F'N ROCKED IT THIS EPISODE!

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
house tinywoody lord

Probably my favorite after-show to date. I was busting a gut laughing at work…. "Yahweh" (heh)

Also, the most frustrating after-show... Some serious "man-woody" blocking from the editing department....

I really like these "Beyond the Wall" discussions. Kyle really did a great job keeping the conversation going.

Mere steel can't kill
-The Sword

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:52 pm
house bolton

The aftershow editing was just cruel... Loved it.

Spoiler: show
Was I reading between the lines enough to hear that you guys are possibly getting an actor from the show as a guest... My mind is racing with the possibilities...

Just look inside yourself and you'll see me waving up at you naked wearing only a cock ring.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 pm
Site Admin

ShadowStalker wrote:

My mind is racing with the possibilities...

That was the point :twisted: I thought it would be cool to leave snippets in there rather than a full editing out, to see the reaction and interpretation from listeners dedicated enough to listen to the aftershow :mrgreen:

By the way everyone, if you enjoyed this episode or one of our episodes where we interview someone, if it is not too much trouble please post a short comment on the main page. It helps to have some more comments there as people look at our past interviews on the main page when considering accepting an invitation to guest host with our podcast.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
team stannis

ShadowStalker wrote:

Was I reading between the lines enough to hear that you guys are possibly getting an actor from the show as a guest... My mind is racing with the possibilities...

Hodor?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:09 pm
podcast doctor

it would be awesome if they got ros/esme bianco on........she prob gets alot of the flak for her character when its really imo more the fault of the show runners and writers.........

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:32 pm
podcast historian

Here my comment - first the one I also posted on the webpage.

myself wrote:
Hi,
I really liked the episode and think Mr. Hardinger was a great guest. The interview was great.

I have to add that I disagree with him, that Dany is the stereotypical fantasy hero because Jon does fit much better into the pattern (male, lordling, banned/banished, secret parentage).

And I really would advise to finish ADWD. Although it might not fulfill every expectation it is still better than AFFC. An “expert” should have read that one (and the TotH-essays with all theories – especially about Jon’s parents).

Thank you again.

And then I wanted to add:
- Great interview. Ashley - don't be frustrated, interviewing seems easy but is really hard.

- Behind the creaking door - that was cruel :twisted: (and I don't think Amin talked about Hodor the first times. Because Kyle said something about: "We can get CREEEAK every time now, but wait, he'll start to film again." We all know Kyle knows Kristian - so I'm pretty sure he talked about Hodor.). That was really twisted, but I like it.

- AND: I like it when you put the start of the episode at the end, its always a WTF-moment in terms of: "Wait, this is the start again, but I think I have missed that part..."

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:52 am
Profile WWW
podcast convert

linecom1 wrote:
great guest this week......good stuff from kyle as well! i think its hilarious how much the guest clearly loved the first 3 books and yet disliked the last 2 so much that he couldnt even finish adwd yet?? wow.........thats unthinkable for me..........plot development or not you're still in westros bro.......u dont wanna read more really?? talk about a love/hate relationship

I actually have 3 or 4 friends who started the series within the last year, enjoyed the first three books, but gave up somewhere on either book 4 or 5.

I think the sheer amount of characters and places, plus less action overall, is just a bit too much for some people. Especially the more casual readers.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:53 am
podcast doctor

Lex wrote:
linecom1 wrote:

I actually have 3 or 4 friends who started the series within the last year, enjoyed the first three books, but gave up somewhere on either book 4 or 5.

I think the sheer amount of characters and places, plus less action overall, is just a bit too much for some people. Especially the more casual readers.

good point about casual readers.......but this guy wrote a published essay about the series, and appeared as a guest host on a podcast devoted to that series to discuss it........not sure if he counts as a "casual" reader......

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 am
house stark

Amin wrote:
By the way everyone, if you enjoyed this episode or one of our episodes where we interview someone, if it is not too much trouble please post a short comment on the main page. It helps to have some more comments there as people look at our past interviews on the main page when considering accepting an invitation to guest host with our podcast.

Just left a comment for Episode 83, and will do the same for Episode 84 as soon as I finish it. :) I'm loving these Ranging Beyond the Wall discussions! Amin, Kyle, Ashley (and Mimi, when she's able to join) - how do you manage to be so good at both literary criticism and dick jokes?!?!?!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:24 am
mrs. sandor clegane

personally, I blame sexual repression. 8-)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:06 am
house micro-woody☹

As an English Major, I loved this. I have had countless discussions on "others" and it was pretty cool to hear that kind of discussion on a series that I read completely outside of school work.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 am
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Lex wrote:
linecom1 wrote:

Yeah, my dad got kind of tired of the story by book 4 (he's also very frustrated with the Wheel of Time) - between that and the wait for Dance, he didn't bother reading book 5 until this spring.

brynden wrote:
Here my comment - first the one I also posted on the webpage.

myself wrote:
Hi,
I really liked the episode and think Mr. Hardinger was a great guest. The interview was great.

I have to add that I disagree with him, that Dany is the stereotypical fantasy hero because Jon does fit much better into the pattern (male, lordling, banned/banished, secret parentage).

I think the only thing more stereotypical than either of them would be them ending up on the throne together, one of them wielding Lightbringer. :?

Unless GRRM pulled it off in a really surprising manner.

I also disagree with Mr. Hardinger about the prophecies: I don't think there has to be any sort of payoff, because he'd then be subverting the expectations of the audience.

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 pm
♬ podcast bard ♬

very enjoyable episode, good guest and interesting discussion. I have to agree I found it odd that your man hadn't finished the series, surely you need all the evidence before drawing conclusions? While I found "feast" a little slow compared to the first 3 , it was still good, and I thought "dance" was right back to top form. Loved the creaking teasers, you little rascals :D

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 am
☑ bastards of kingsgrave guest host ♞

I adored this episode. English major boner the entire time!

“There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different." -Sandor Clegane

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 am
Profile WWW
house stark

"Yahweh" as a an anime sub-genre might be just about the single best thing to ever come from this podcast.

Also, perhaps the community should get a kickstarter going so we can get keaton suits or snuggies or whatever for Amin and Kyle.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:44 am
for my freckles, your grace

rpawson wrote:
Also, perhaps the community should get a kickstarter going so we can get keaton suits or snuggies or whatever for Amin and Kyle.

Someone wants to give me a snuggie? Score! I'm all in.

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]