View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Episode 88 
podcast historian

I'm only a few minutes in - very exiting to get a new (and quite long) episode.

Here is the exact data:

Elio and Linda first visited aPoIaF in Ep. 37 (Interviewing Westeros) / February 2011

Since then Elio was in 4 more whole Episodes (GuysNO2-4 + Ep.88) and you called him 3 times (Ep. 52 / Ep. 65 / Ep. 80) - mostly because of the TV-show
Linda was in 2 more episodes (GirlsNO2 + Ep.88) and you called her in Ep.52

With his 8 appearances Elio is the guest with the most appearances.

Great to have the two - more comments when I have listened...

edit:

1) The episode was great. Funny as always and Linda and Elio fit perfectly to your sense of humor.
2) Did Mimi finally watch season 2?
3) Hodor/Sandor/Gregor - I love that Elio can produce theories like that "on the run".
4) Regarding laxatives:

AGOT Bran II wrote:
“Robert can barely stomach his brothers. Not that I blame him. Stannis would be enough to give anyone indigestion.”

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Good episode, always love when Elio and Linda pop in. Their level of knowledge is shocking.

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 am
house micro-woody☹

Amin , I think the word you were searching for was "homeopathy." And it is indeed pseudoscientific fraudulent bullshit.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:54 am
house smallwoody mongoballer

Currently listening to the podcast. Can someone please provide a link to Linda's tumblr, I'd like to check it out.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 pm
team stannis

Get an error when trying to leave comment on front page.

I thought this was a great episode. Instant classic. Overtired Linda is a blast! Any episode where Mimi is the biggest prude has got to be special. 5LCs

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm
Site Admin

FTWard wrote:
Get an error when trying to leave comment on front page.

Should be working now.

Lots of classic moments in this episode

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
for my freckles, your grace

Dr.H.Lecter wrote:
Currently listening to the podcast. Can someone please provide a link to Linda's tumblr, I'd like to check it out.

I second that!

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:02 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ask and you shall receive.

http://hippoiathanatoi.tumblr.com/

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:08 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

I'm already intrigued. "mental faculties of a vegetable" reeled me in.

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 am
★wardens of the woody★

Wow that tumblr is both funny and scary. Funny, because I shared a lot of Linda's reaction to he show. But scary. I had no idea how much trolling and hate Linda was getting. Kinda sad that two people who have done so much to form a conduit between the fans and George are having to waste time on deflecting abuse.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 am
podcast doctor

fun episode, it was nice to have ashley back again. although i find it personally disconcerting that its becoming rare to have episodes where the entire gang is together. you guys work best as a team.

anyway linda was hilarious and you all should have them on more often for chapter discussions. i think its ironically funny that linda, the co-founder of Westeros.org is not a "message board" person.

a couple of medical corrections and/or clarifications:

-hodor definitely does NOT have wernicke's (pronounced wer-nick-ee, not wer-nick) aphasia. as described here: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Wernicke's+aphasia wernicke's aphasia, as a Receptive Aphasia, involves difficulty in comprehension or understanding of words. i believe hodor understands language normally as he is able to take instructions without problem.

mimi initially thought hodor had broca's aphasia, an Expressive Aphasia, because its usually characterized as primarily having difficulty speaking however there can also be difficulty in comprehension with brocas aphasia. although the deficits in speech with brocas is usually things like agrammatism or dysprodosy or simplification of consonant clusters.

theres actually a classic case of extreme broca's aphasia in which one of Paul Broca's patients could only say one single word "Tan"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Broca#Research, and the nickname for the patient was therefore Tan even though it was not his real name.

i think GRRM modeled Hodor after this patient.

-i think there was a question about whether one can still pass bowels after dying. the answer to that question is yes, but the movement of bowels from a dead person is more of a "leakage" rather than active passing as the person is dead and the bowel movement is the result of losing neurological input to the rectum.

ps. mimi you're welcome for that mspaint drawing, i put alot of effort into drawing you, although i probably put more effort into your cleavage than your eyes. oh well im asian too so its not racist right? lol

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm
team blacksmith

Have not listened yet, but I'm looking forward to it. And there's a great Sansa chapter for your next episode ;-)

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:21 pm
★wardens of the woody★

inkasrain wrote:
Have not listened yet, but I'm looking forward to it. And there's a great Sansa chapter for your next episode ;-)

Yeah there is. Also, Linda's tumblr just made my day

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:04 pm
team blacksmith

I support fanfiction and I'm still a fan... just saying... of course I respect Linda's opinion and she should not be abused for it...

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:31 pm
house micro-woody☹

Nice episode, guys. It's great when Elio and Linda are guests.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:34 pm
podcast historian

i wonder why nobody ever tried to teac hodor to write. he seems totally capable of understanding. he sometimes "forgets" important things (his size + that bran is sitting on his back) - but I wnder if he would be capable to write??

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:23 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

brynden wrote:
i wonder why nobody ever tried to teac hodor to write. he seems totally capable of understanding. he sometimes "forgets" important things (his size + that bran is sitting on his back) - but I wnder if he would be capable to write??

I'd doubt it, the problem isn't that he's mute but that he is incapable of expressing himself. Also, it's not like literacy is so common in Westeros that the first solution they'd think of is teaching him to read and write

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:15 am
★wardens of the woody★

Given the episode threads, I'm kind of surprised that Linda's opinions about the show don't seem to have generated much disagreement.

For the record, I love Linda, and just about everything she says. :)

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:30 am
house smallwoody lord

inkasrain wrote:
I support fanfiction and I'm still a fan... just saying... of course I respect Linda's opinion and she should not be abused for it...
Indeed, I can't believe that people can't be entitled to their own opinion in 21:th century.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:58 am
house micro-woody☹

Bina007 wrote:
Wow that tumblr is both funny and scary. Funny, because I shared a lot of Linda's reaction to he show. But scary. I had no idea how much trolling and hate Linda was getting. Kinda sad that two people who have done so much to form a conduit between the fans and George are having to waste time on deflecting abuse.

I don't know much about Linda, and I'm not on tumblr, but I have recently crossed paths with Elio on the westeros.org forum. I made a post agreeing with something that he had said, and sharing my views on the book passage. He jumped on my interpretation and basically called me an idiot because I had not come away from it as the same interpretation as he did. I asked him why he was so hostile towards me, and he said something like "You are insulting GRRM's writing through your misreading of the text, and that says a lot about you." I took screenshots of the posts because I was pretty shocked that the owner of such a famous website would attack a member of his own forum in such a way, for no reason other than that member had interpreted the books in a different way.

I'm pretty new to the fandom, but I have read all the books and seen all the episodes and so I am enjoying finding new ways to interact with other ASOIAF fans. While westeros.org is an amazing resource, and Elio and Linda have an incredible amount of knowledge about the world of Westeros, I think I'll be staying away from anything they do in the future because there are other, more welcoming communities that I can be a part of. Like this one :)

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:21 am
podcast historian

Welcome winter's lion, hope you have fun here in our corner of the fandom.

My view is that the Westeros' boards are a melting pot of crackpots and GRRM's lickspittles. I never dared to open up an account there because on some threads the answers get hostile at the 2nd post. And it seems to be expected that all newbies have to have the same opinion...

Nevertheless is it strange what you are telling about Elio, I highly respect the knowledge-base he/they built up and found Elio always being a nice guest on the podcast. I believe you totally that it is true what you are writing so he seems to have a very very dark side.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:12 am
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

Careless wrote:
Indeed, I can't believe that people can't be entitled to their own opinion in 21:th century.

Not to play The Internet Did It, but the web does allow for very free expression in both directions. It would be great if people could actually be civil about their disagreements, but of course that's a song that's been sung long before the internet.

Winter's Lion wrote:
I was pretty shocked that the owner of such a famous website would attack a member of his own forum in such a way, for no reason other than that member had interpreted the books in a different way.

I'm sorry that happened, man. My interactions with Elio have usually been positive-- maybe he was having a bad day?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:33 am
★wardens of the woody★

inkasrain wrote:
Careless wrote:

Not to play The Internet Did It, but the web does allow for very free expression in both directions. It would be great if people could actually be civil about their disagreements, but of course that's a song that's been sung long before the internet.

Winter's Lion wrote:
I was pretty shocked that the owner of such a famous website would attack a member of his own forum in such a way, for no reason other than that member had interpreted the books in a different way.

I'm sorry that happened, man. My interactions with Elio have usually been positive-- maybe he was having a bad day?

Yeah me too. My early experiences on Westeros.org were very positive, they were always very warm and friendly

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Winter's Lion wrote:
there are other, more welcoming communities that I can be a part of. Like this one :)

i'm glad you think well of us! we're small and fairly slow, but the people who post here are some of the coolest ASOIAF i've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. my only regret is that i can't meet everyone in the APOIAF community and shower them with kisses and bacon.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
house micro-woody☹

Aww, that you you everyone! You're all so sweet. And thanks to the Podcast Queen herself! I feel blessed, haha. I'll be honored with just some virtual bacon. Bacon rocks.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:03 pm
maesters of the citadel

Mordion wrote:
Given the episode threads, I'm kind of surprised that Linda's opinions about the show don't seem to have generated much disagreement.

For the record, I love Linda, and just about everything she says. :)

I'm sure I will have something to say being one of the shows staunch supporters in here, but im afraid i haven't found the time to listen to the episode yet... Oh the shame... :oops:

I will repeat though (without having listened to it) that the show is much much more and much much better than anyone realistically could have hoped for, and i cant think of anything that has been adapted for TV/movies with this much love and respect for the source material. For a fan of the books to have such a negative general opinion on the show, is to me the equivalent of winning a million dollars in the lottery, and then being angry and complain about not winning 100 million.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 am
★wardens of the woody★

mimi wrote:
Winter's Lion wrote:
there are other, more welcoming communities that I can be a part of. Like this one :)

i'm glad you think well of us! we're small and fairly slow, but the people who post here are some of the coolest ASOIAF i've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. my only regret is that i can't meet everyone in the APOIAF community and shower them with kisses and bacon.

THERE'S BACON!!!!!

I think I actually love you more (bacon is a crispy bit of heaven on earth)

:p

Slàinte,
Nadine.

If you piss me off I may be forced to kill you... in my book.
https://www.demonality.org/

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Erinyes wrote:
mimi wrote:
Winter's Lion wrote:

THERE'S BACON!!!!!

I think I actually love you more (bacon is a crispy bit of heaven on earth)

:p

Candied Bacon. nuff said.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 am
☑ guest host ♘

linecom1 wrote:
-hodor definitely does NOT have wernicke's (pronounced wer-nick-ee, not wer-nick) aphasia. as described here: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Wernicke's+aphasia wernicke's aphasia, as a Receptive Aphasia, involves difficulty in comprehension or understanding of words. i believe hodor understands language normally as he is able to take instructions without problem.

mimi initially thought hodor had broca's aphasia, an Expressive Aphasia, because its usually characterized as primarily having difficulty speaking however there can also be difficulty in comprehension with brocas aphasia. although the deficits in speech with brocas is usually things like agrammatism or dysprodosy or simplification of consonant clusters.

theres actually a classic case of extreme broca's aphasia in which one of Paul Broca's patients could only say one single word "Tan"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Broca#Research, and the nickname for the patient was therefore Tan even though it was not his real name.

Yes, I corrected myself on the fb page, but I guess that was after this was recorded. It's definitely Broca's, and I definitely haven't used my Linguistics degree in quite some time.

But really, you should always just pronounce Wernicke's in the most German manner possible.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:56 pm
house micro-woody☹

LordManderBlee wrote:
Candied Bacon. nuff said.

Never heard of it. Googled it. I have now found my project for next weekend.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next