View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Future Podcast Guest(s) Request Thread 
podcast doctor

i couldnt find a request thread for potential future guests..........

so here goes:

1. GRRM -duh

2. GOTs related cast and crew

3. seanzoz- from the youtube GOTs parody channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/seanzoz?feature=results_main

4. the youtube GOTs impressions guy: i recall from his twitter telling the "game of owns" podcast that he'd be willing to do "any pod any cast any time"

i think a fun idea would be to do an interview with him "in character" of his multiple characters.......asking robert baratheon et al. direct questions

5. simone boyce- http://www.youtube.com/user/simonedboyce

did a great job doing youtube gots episode recaps and gots cast interviews

can you guys think of any others?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:45 pm
mrs. sandor clegane

#3 is confirmed... sometime 8-)

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 am
podcast historian

Good calls.

And because your topic-title is the more findable one, I just link the "other" topic where we talked about this stuff here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395

I would add Ty Franck to the list. If you can not get GRRM himself that would be the next best choice.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

As far as actors from the show go, I would shoot for Nikolai Coster Waldau because he seems, from interviews, the one who has really engaged with the books, and after all, his character has one of the most fascinating arcs.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 am
team stannis

I would love an ADwD revisited episode(s) with brynden guesting. Maybe broke down by povs or regions.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 pm
house stark

Ashley wrote:
#3 is confirmed... sometime 8-)

Sweet!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:17 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Do the publishers or illustrators of the D&E stories.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 am
podcast historian

FTWard wrote:
I would love an ADwD revisited episode(s) with brynden guesting. Maybe broke down by povs or regions.

I'd really like to do that and hope that we can make it work. It is hard with the time-zone-problem, even the normal hosts seem to have a scheduling problem of late. But I still hope we can make it possible somehow - if only for one episode. Maybe with you together FTWard?

To bring up the suggestion from the shoutbox (and some higher-profile guests):
GRRM for episode 100. Maybe together with his buddy Elio. That would be epic.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:18 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

I would flip a fucking shit

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:50 am
house stark

Kristian Nairn aka Hodor!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:00 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

Joe Abercrombie, author of the The First Law trilogy and total ASOIAF fan
Sean T. Collins, Boiled Leather Audio Hour host, writes at Boiledleather
Stefan Sasse, Boiled Leather Audio Hour host, writes at The Nerdstream Era
any writer from the Dragon Age: Origins game, cuz it's apparently heavily influenced by ASOIAF

and of course, can't let this go without mentioning Chase. I miss that guy still. Even more when I listen to old episodes. Wish there was some way to tell him he's missed (and according to the old thread on Chase, it ain't just me.)

I recommend the 2 BLAH hosts for crazy crackpot theory episodes, cuz I think they are awesome at that!

Twitter: vaarsuvius_

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Stefan would be a great guest host, especially if you're pushing for more of the Flight of Sorrows authors. I honestly think he's one of the best essayists in this community.

I know you've had him on briefly for a Guy's Night Out, but I'd love to hear a more focused episode with him. I remember hearing that he just had a child on one of the Boiled Leathers though so I can understand if scheduling is difficult.

And as for George on episode 100 or something of the sort, if you can get in contact with him, I'm sure you can make a case for yourselves. So long as you promise to never berate him for going to cons and taking interviews ever again.

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Dickon Manwoody wrote:
Joe Abercrombie, author of the The First Law trilogy and total ASOIAF fan
Sean T. Collins, Boiled Leather Audio Hour host, writes at Boiledleather
Stefan Sasse, Boiled Leather Audio Hour host, writes at The Nerdstream Era
any writer from the Dragon Age: Origins game, cuz it's apparently heavily influenced by ASOIAF

and of course, can't let this go without mentioning Chase. I miss that guy still. Even more when I listen to old episodes. Wish there was some way to tell him he's missed (and according to the old thread on Chase, it ain't just me.)

I recommend the 2 BLAH hosts for crazy crackpot theory episodes, cuz I think they are awesome at that!

These guys. Especially Abercrombie, that'd be a blast

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:19 pm
house manwoody knight

Definitely more Elio, he is actually the sensible side of Westeros.org and who refrains from going on purist rants on Tumblr. He always adds a fair and balanced side to the podcast without resorting to tumblr temper tantrums because someone has disagreed with their point of view.

I think you can tell from my post that while I really do enjoy whenever Elio appears on the podcast, I am not a fan of the other half who represents the more Censoros style of the face of this fandom. I don't think having someone who excuses racism by calling it purism is a good advertisement for the fan base, especially when she admits on her ADWD Amazon 'review' (I say that in the most cynical way possible) that she didn't even read 1/3 ASOS. No offence to her as a person, but she really doesn't represent the positive side of the fandom.

"You want to know the horrible truth? I can't even remember what she looked like. I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted. Someone took her away from me... and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind."

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Maester Ch'vyalthan wrote:
I don't think having someone who excuses racism by calling it purism is a good advertisement for the fan base

Are you talking about casting here? How did you decide she wasn't actually interested in characters looking as they're described? If the show wanted to go for completely race-blind casting, I could get on board with that. But short of that, I'd like the dothraki to be something other than generic brown people, I'd like people from Lys to generally be pale blonds, and, yeah, I'd like Robert's hair to be black.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:17 pm
house manwoody knight

Mordion wrote:
Maester Ch'vyalthan wrote:
I don't think having someone who excuses racism by calling it purism is a good advertisement for the fan base

Are you talking about casting here? How did you decide she wasn't actually interested in characters looking as they're described? If the show wanted to go for completely race-blind casting, I could get on board with that. But short of that, I'd like the dothraki to be something other than generic brown people, I'd like people from Lys to generally be pale blonds, and, yeah, I'd like Robert's hair to be black.

I'm not talking about the casting, it's been a long running thing on her tumblr and to a limited extent forums, about ethnicities in the ASOIAF universe which I'm not going to go into, because reading her tumblr makes me want to question my very existence. I'm not calling her a racist, I'm just saying she has some pretty extreme views when it comes to how certain characters should be viewed in terms of their skin colour and has got quite irate at times with people who have questioned her "true fan" views on things.

"You want to know the horrible truth? I can't even remember what she looked like. I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted. Someone took her away from me... and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind."

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

I like/agree with her tumblr stuff most of the time. But if you're talking about the sandy/stony dornish stuff, or what exactly 'olive skin' means, then I definitely don't care enough to argue about it. ;)

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:55 pm
house manwoody knight

I even decided to see what you were talking about in terms of her views on the TV casting, and found something even I hadn't read so far:

"I have an issue with the fact that it appears Jeyne has been given a more foreign backstory, possibly as a way to explain why she looks somewhat different from the rest of the Westerosi nobles... People have been assuming that my issue is with the race of the actress, which isn’t true as such, although I hope HBO has segregated dressing rooms."

I really don't give a shit if she was trying to be funny or ironic, you don't say that sort of thing when you're seen to be one of the leading members of a fan base to the extent where you're working on a companion book for the series. The great irony is that Oona Chaplin is of Spanish descent but spent most of her time growing up in Europe and I had no problem believing she was English when she appeared in Sherlock last year.

Yet Linda seems to think she looks so different but then again she was probably too busy explaining to people why Westeros' version of fan-fiction is pure and right because GRRM has said it's okay, while she bans and rants on anyone who does anything similar. Her writings on her livejournal and tumblr genuinely create a bad image of the fandom.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
house manwoody knight

I'd like to add that perhaps I was wrong using the term racist which implies a form of hatred, I think the more appropriate term would be bigotry because it implies that their is ignorance, as I believe she seems to be ignorant to the fact that what she writes can appear to have a lot of racial prejudice. Jut a few of my favourites of her idiotic ramblings on race:

http://hippoiathanatoi.tumblr.com/post/ ... eems-to-be
http://hippoiathanatoi.tumblr.com/post/ ... some-daily

"You know, characters in the books. That see mostly white people all the time. They will make a note if someone has black skin. Its fucking unusual. Unusual gets noted."

Ignoring the fact she feels the need to swear every time someone disagrees with her, this is simply a very limited view of people's perceptions. If I have a friend who has a distinctive feature be it skin, hair or stature I don't feel the need to mentally point it out to myself every time I see someone like that, and Westeros (as Linda always says) can be comparable to Medieval Europe and the Valyrian Empire comparable to the Roman Empire, you can bet that there was a huge amount of people of ethnicity ending up in Westeros through the Valyrian slave trade and through the sheer fact that an empire causes people of all ethnicities to move about.

"All the evidence suggests that there are no noble houses in Westeros consisting of black people... you’re talking incredibly unlikely. So unlikely that I consider it virtually impossible."

"On the other hand, a character in a noble house with a mixed-race background (I am not talking with Dornish blood or Free Cities blood)? A little less unlikely. But still very rare, at best."

The fact she admits she has never fully read the chapters where Jeyne is introduced except through a search function and skimming those bits, does she really forget that Jeyne's grandmother is from Asshai which we can assume is easily as 'exotic' as Sothyros being so far to the East. Yet she is so afraid of anyone saying that this means there could have been a... (hold your breath and wait for this shocking bit) a mixed-race marriage in Westeros! To Linda, her purist view of the books stops her believing that Westeros and the 'civilized world' is 99.9999% white, despite Westeros being an island with huge amounts of trade and ports to a continent with... (wait for it) PoC.

Oh and apparently entertaining the view that she might not have the holy truth on ASOIAF demographics, can be classed as being too politically correct:

"Feel free to have an issue with the book being too white for your tastes, I don’t care, but I don’t engage in making fantasy settings more politically correct."

Here's another gem:
http://hippoiathanatoi.tumblr.com/post/ ... -strong-on

"So, stop spreading the lie that Jeyne Westerling’s grand-mother had to have been a woman of colour... and we can also say that no one remarks on the appearance of her descendants as being different from the Westerosi norm."

Yes in a fantasy setting where authors encourage their readers to use their imagination, any deviation from Linda's view of Westeros is considered a lie! Maybe no one remarks upon her being different from the Westerosi norm because shock horror in a continent that has been invaded 3 times in it's history, there is no bloody norm! Or wait if you believe that people in Westeros are shocked by a PoC, then perhaps we could just assume that Catelyn is not so bigoted that she is shocked that there is someone in a noble house who has 'at worst' (being ironic) a slightly darker than normal caucasian complexion, you know in today's world what would that look like... I don't know maybe someone who is of foreign descent but brought up in mainland Europe, now I've seen an actress like that... her name is..... Oona something?

"There simply aren’t thousands of black or darker-skinned characters running around in Westeros without it being remarked upon."

Well let's go with a circular logic, if there were thousands of characters of a mixed skin colour going round Westeros then that would mean that it would be a common sight and do you in general make a remark about something that is a common sight? No. So, once again Linda tells us that because we are never explicitly told that Westeros is not an Aryan paradise, we have to think that there is pretty much zero diversity in the country, despite the fact we have seen a lot of foreigners in Westeros.

"There’s probably not even that many Dornishmen outside of Dorne. Looking at historical examples, it would be noted when someone is different from the norm. They’d get bynames or nicknames that referenced their unusual appearance."

Well there you go kids, because they decided to add some (much needed) diversity to the cast of the tv series, we should really change the name of the character in Qarth to Xaro Xhoan Blacksauce. Maybe, just maybe there is a chance that because we don't see nicknames for people like Jalabhar Xho or Syrio Forel, it could be that people who look slightly different are accepted in Westeros because everyone is well-fucking-aware that the continent to the East is more diverse, and I apologise for swearing out of turn like that but by the time I am finished reading her diatribes on her puritan view of Westerosi skin colour I want to slap myself. Her statement about Dorne is in itself just a strawman argument, because she once again assumes that people would remark if they saw someone of a Dornish complexion north of the Marches. Once again I suggest it might be better to assume that because the people of Dorne themselves have a more diverse skin colour, we can assume that everyone north of Dorne is not shocked at all when they see someone who is not completely pale white caucasian, thereby highlighting the fundamental flaw in her argument that anyone of colour should be remarked upon in a POV.

That's all I got for now, and I think the more I look in to the drivel she writes the more I feel justified in what I have said, she is the nasty puritanical side of this fandom.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

I'll reply properly when I'm through with work, but probably in another thread. I think we may have reached and breached the polite limit for thread jacking.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm
house manwoody knight

Sure, just copy the quote over so I don't have to come back over to check what I said.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
house manwoody mongoballer

i would suggest an episode that brought back as many former hosts as possible now that adwd has been fully digested and the show has run two full seasons. specifically id love to hear the reactions of chris, ashley 2 and chase to all of the new story developments and the show.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:30 pm
team blacksmith

I seriously want to hear Stefan Sasse as a proper guest (though I know the timezone thing presents issues.) I think I've said this somewhere else, but judging from Boiled Leather (which I hugely enjoy), Stefan has a really snarky side to him which he doesn't get to indulge fully on that podcast. Let him put his feet up in House Manwoody for a little while, I think fun times will follow ;-)

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am
★wardens of the woody★

inkasrain wrote:
I seriously want to hear Stefan Sasse as a proper guest (though I know the timezone thing presents issues.) I think I've said this somewhere else, but judging from Boiled Leather (which I hugely enjoy), Stefan has a really snarky side to him which he doesn't get to indulge fully on that podcast. Let him put his feet up in House Manwoody for a little while, I think fun times will follow ;-)

Seconded! Also put him and brynden on the same podcast. Yay for accents!

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 pm
Site Admin

LordManderBlee wrote:
inkasrain wrote:

Mayhaps something is in the planning already re the APOIAF guys crash the boiled leather hour with a keg of Dornish brew, feathered hats, blood oranges and moon tea ;)

Stefan + brynden would be a fun combo on APOIAF sometime tho, given the similar timezones

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:10 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Amin wrote:
LordManderBlee wrote:
inkasrain wrote:

Mayhaps something is in the planning already re the APOIAF guys crash the boiled leather hour with a keg of Dornish brew, feathered hats, blood oranges and moon tea ;)

Stefan + brynden would be a fub combo on APOIAF sometime tho, given the similar timezones

Exactly! Also, accents!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 am
team blacksmith

Amin wrote:
LordManderBlee wrote:
inkasrain wrote:

YES. A (virtually) drunk Sean Collins might actually make for the best podcast in the history of the medium. (Try and get him to sing.)

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:02 pm
house payne

inkasrain wrote:
Amin wrote:

YES. A (virtually) drunk Sean Collins might actually make for the best podcast in the history of the medium. (Try and get him to sing.)

Wait, is he coming on APOIAF or are you guys going on BLAH? I guess either would be cool, but I feel like he should play on your homecourt sometime.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:28 pm
Site Admin

Going on BLAH. Sometime in the next few months hopefully, when exactly in unknown.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:17 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Amin wrote:
Going on BLAH. Sometime in the next few months hopefully, when exactly in unknown.

YAY! I love it when you're on Boiled Leather!

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next