View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Episode 87 
podcast historian

Hi,
just finished your last episode - I have to say: Pretty good. I really liked the idea that Mimi brought her medical knowledge into this episode. You once had an attempt of "character of the episode" - and I think your little discussion about Hodor, his Hodor, his family-background and his mental state was way better than all your former attempts on such a character spotlight. I know it was not really planned - but these are the situations when you often show your best performances.

I feel you should return to your "2 chapters per episode"-amount, that was/is normally a quite the right number. But I feel that the hosts really should try to read them (and the right ones), because although TotH is our beloved source for quick summaries, it is not enough for discussing the details (Idontlookatyoumimi). No offense - but I don't know how often anybody of you has said "WHat THIS chapter I thought it was THAT" and afterwards tried to follow the others while reading TotH.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 am
Profile WWW
for my freckles, your grace

brynden wrote:
But I feel that the hosts really should try to read them (and the right ones), because although TotH is our beloved source for quick summaries, it is not enough for discussing the details (Idontlookatyoumimi).

Haha! You're absolutely right. coughmimicough. I need to read each chapter before we talk about them. Even on the 6th reread or whatever number this is for me I still pick up new things and now that Dance is out a reread shines even more new light on things.

Thanks Brynden!

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 am
house bolton

So a quick reference in terms of the how many chapters re-reads you guys have left and the regards to the pace in which you release podcasts...

A Clash of Kings - 52 Chapters left to cover
A Storm of Swords - 82 Chapters
A Feast for Crows - 46 Chapters
A Dance with Dragons - 73 Chapters

Total of 253 chapters.

If say you average 12 reread chapters a year (HA!!!!) and do 2 chapters each podcast. That is 10 1/2 years (127 more episodes) of podcasting. (7 years (85 episodes) if you do 3 chapters)

Love the podcast.

P.S.
This is not intended on making any statement on the frequency of how often you guys are able to to put shows out. Do what you guys do. Just a funny thought on the possiblity of you guys still doing this 10 years from now.

Just look inside yourself and you'll see me waving up at you naked wearing only a cock ring.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:10 pm
★wardens of the woody★

So it really is a race with George then.

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Interesting that Barrowton and our friend Barbrey Dustin isn't mentioned during the Lords of the North rollcall. I wonder if that means Martin hadn't conceived her as a character yet.

Is there any reason Hodor couldn't be mentally retarded AND have the specific speech disorder?

I gotta say, the evidence for Hodor being a descendant of Dunk seems super thin and honestly the evidence for Brienne isn't great either. Tall and Dunk was at Winterfell and tall plus shield. I guess we know Dunk was on the Kingsguard, but not that he was always on the Kingsguard, so he could have openly fathered children with his wife and then joined the Kingsguard if she died. Maybe? But I think it has to have been a secret kid, otherwise people would have said at some point "oh, of course Brienne of Tarth is huge. Her great-great uncle was Ser Duncan the Tall." It's a very ancestor-conscious society, after all.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:59 pm
team blacksmith

I suppose I really should read those DUNK AND EGG stories at some point.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 pm
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

inkasrain wrote:

I'm holding out for the compilation myself......... hopefully I won't break and end up paying a ridiculous amount for several anthologies when I'll only read one story of each. :?

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 pm
☁ podcast art manager ☁

gsdg wrote:
inkasrain wrote:

I'm holding out for the compilation myself......... hopefully I won't break and end up paying a ridiculous amount for several anthologies when I'll only read one story of each. :?

There are 'secret' places online you can read them for free... no idea how to find it anymore, but that's how I read them! I will buy them once they are in a compilation though. :D

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:00 pm
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

witless chum wrote:
I gotta say, the evidence for Hodor being a descendant of Dunk seems super thin and honestly the evidence for Brienne isn't great either. Tall and Dunk was at Winterfell and tall plus shield. I guess we know Dunk was on the Kingsguard, but not that he was always on the Kingsguard, so he could have openly fathered children with his wife and then joined the Kingsguard if she died. Maybe? But I think it has to have been a secret kid, otherwise people would have said at some point "oh, of course Brienne of Tarth is huge. Her great-great uncle was Ser Duncan the Tall." It's a very ancestor-conscious society, after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "Brienne is descended from Dunk" theory were true, that it would be from her mother's side. Westeros is very ancestor-conscious, but the female line is still considered less important. Unless, of course, you are a Martell.

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 pm
Site Admin

From So Spake Martin (things Martin has said) on Dunk's descendant:

Spoiler: show
There is at least one descendant of Dunk in the books. It is pretty much sure to be Brienne, given what he has said on the matter (in particular the second link).
http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Ent ... San_Diego/
http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Ent ... Dayton_OH/

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
podcast historian

Ask the right person via private message and you might be led to secret places...

Regarding Dunk's descendants. Maybe Martin is a very sly person and it is somebody very small?? But I think that would be too strange - even for Martin-genetics. After reading Amin's 2nd link I'm pretty sure it is Brienne - she took Dunk's shield.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

brynden wrote:
Ask the right person via private message and you might be led to secret places...

Regarding Dunk's descendants. Maybe Martin is a very sly person and it is somebody very small?? But I think that would be too strange - even for Martin-genetics. After reading Amin's 2nd link I'm pretty sure it is Brienne - she took Dunk's shield.

Yeah I think that's pretty clear

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 am
house micro-woody☹

Great episode. A few points were kind of rushed over:

Hodor is Old Nan's great-grandson. His grandmother could have been Tanselle 2 tall (or the tall girl in the Dance flashbacks).

Old Nan was brought to Winterfell as a wet nurse for an unknown Brandon. Her sons were killed in the wars and her daughters died.

Hodor's name is Walder. There seems to be only one family who would want to use that name... So Hodor's mom (Nan's granddaughter) likely knocked boots with the late Lord Frey.

Lady Hornwood didn't eat her fingers because of starvation. She was most likely being flayed and (according to Theon/Reek) the pain is so intense one would do anything to remove the flayed appendages. Likely she was trying to bite off her fingers since Ramsey was out of Tylenol.

Mors Umber's dragonglass eye can shoot laserbeams which can take out mass hordes of wights and others. Umbers are the kick-ass family of the north.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 am
★wardens of the woody★

Lost Umber wrote:
Great episode. A few points were kind of rushed over:

Hodor is Old Nan's great-grandson. His grandmother could have been Tanselle 2 tall (or the tall girl in the Dance flashbacks).

Old Nan was brought to Winterfell as a wet nurse for an unknown Brandon. Her sons were killed in the wars and her daughters died.

Hodor's name is Walder. There seems to be only one family who would want to use that name... So Hodor's mom (Nan's granddaughter) likely knocked boots with the late Lord Frey.

Lady Hornwood didn't eat her fingers because of starvation. She was most likely being flayed and (according to Theon/Reek) the pain is so intense one would do anything to remove the flayed appendages. Likely she was trying to bite off her fingers since Ramsey was out of Tylenol.

Mors Umber's dragonglass eye can shoot laserbeams which can take out mass hordes of wights and others. Umbers are the kick-ass family of the north.

BAM!! Knowledge'd

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm
house manwoody knight

Crazy necro bump, I know, but I found it amusing that one of today's top posts on reddit was about Hodor's aphasia:
http://np.reddit.com/r/AskSocialScience ... as/cie0cjz

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:56 pm
for my freckles, your grace

walros wrote:
Crazy necro bump, I know, but I found it amusing that one of today's top posts on reddit was about Hodor's aphasia:
http://np.reddit.com/r/AskSocialScience ... as/cie0cjz

Mimi's pseudo-medical knowledge for the win!

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]