View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Episode 93 
team stannis

Great to finally put a voice to brynden and Dickon!

Great job guys. Interesting chapter reread and really really fun history.

Episode 100 -
The obvious dream is an hour with GRRM.
but
One of my favorite tv tropes is when a great show does a musical episode!
Moonlighting, Buffy, XFiles(sorta), Community, Fringe etc.

The filks proved that we have some awesome musical theater nerds talent on the cast/board.
And there is also Kyle ;)

So my modest proposal (if no George) would be a 100th Episode as a musical.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 pm
★wardens of the woody★

That would be so much fun! Also, just generally it was a really good episode. Enjoyed all the podcast history stuff at the beginning a lot.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:48 pm
podcast historian

Thanks guys - yes it was really fun, although I was quite tired in the end. I'm quite satisfied.

Regarding the musical-episode: That would be awesome - the Scrubs-Musical-Episode is also great...

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:01 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

OH! I had one thing I noticed. I'm fairly sure the Flint in Catelyn's party is not a clansmen, I think he's one of the southern Flints. There are two branches of that family, one that stayed in the hills and one that moved out and became real lords. I think that her Flint is one of the latter.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am
★wardens of the woody★

Bringing back the readings for the chapter re-reads is a genius idea. I've actually missed that. It's just fun to hear someone read the books, both in the serious Kyle tones and the sorta half-serious way, too. It adds a nice element of performance to things.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 pm
★wardens of the woody★

A fair amount of the WTF info Kyle and Brynden were talking about probably comes from the So Spake Martin archives on Westeros, I'd bet.

House Manwoody should totally give its dear departed hosts the Golden Company treatment.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

brynden: yeah me too. It was like 8am + when we ended but I was too stoked to go to bed immediately.

lordmanderblee: dude I never knew that. I just looked at the Wiki but didn't see a Southern branch though they seem to be distantly related to the Hornwoods. Anyway, my memory's not the best. Speaking of the mountain clans though, I really liked the part in AFFC when Bran and company had tea with a Liddle. It was a really nice moment.

witless chum: the bronzed skull of a hamster may invite too many unwelcome questions. Though if Mimi were a wildling, she might wear it around her neck? :|

Twitter: vaarsuvius_

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:43 pm
♬ podcast bard ♬

great stuff guys , (just put my thoughts on the main page).
You may not be surprised to hear , I love the musical idea :-)

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:24 am
podcast fanatics ☺

FTWard: gah I totally forgot to add that a musical episode is a wonderful, wonderful idea... the only thing that could be better is a musical sketch on Youtube, although that would be nigh impossible since our beloved hosts are scattered all over. I can just see it though... a musical re-enaction of a scene from the books. I've always enjoyed the chapter reads the hosts does sometimes. Highlights: Chase as The Hound (every time!) and Kyle as Joffrey.

Jed: Agreed on the past hosts thing, would've loved to hear more reminiscing but maybe we'll get another episode where all the hosts are in to talk about the glorious history of our favorite podcast together. I don't really know if they'd discuss past hosts though. I posted a thread on Chase a while back cuz I wondered where he went and basically it seems like they don't like to talk about people who aren't about any more.

Twitter: vaarsuvius_

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:10 am
★wardens of the woody★

Dickon Manwoody wrote:
brynden: yeah me too. It was like 8am + when we ended but I was too stoked to go to bed immediately.

lordmanderblee: dude I never knew that. I just looked at the Wiki but didn't see a Southern branch though they seem to be distantly related to the Hornwoods. Anyway, my memory's not the best. Speaking of the mountain clans though, I really liked the part in AFFC when Bran and company had tea with a Liddle. It was a really nice moment.

witless chum: the bronzed skull of a hamster may invite too many unwelcome questions. Though if Mimi were a wildling, she might wear it around her neck? :|

Just looked it up, there's the Flints of the moutains, Flint's of Flint's Fingers, and Flint's of Widows Watch. None are southern, but the fingers and widows watch are not as harsh as the mountains. Also I loved hearing you guest host! very fun. And I just realized (i gotta stop listening to these when I'm so tired I fall asleep) that I got my first indirect shoutout! For that disastrous Dany thread I made. Still, I'll take it. YAY!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:04 am
team stannis

Dickon Manwoody wrote:
FTWard: gah I totally forgot to add that a musical episode is a wonderful, wonderful idea... the only thing that could be better is a musical sketch on Youtube, although that would be nigh impossible since our beloved hosts are scattered all over. I can just see it though... a musical re-enaction of a scene from the books. I've always enjoyed the chapter reads the hosts does sometimes. Highlights: Chase as The Hound (every time!) and Kyle as Joffrey.

Yes, this is what my dream would be, musical dramatic scene/song reading with the old hosts and the new.

I was thinking "The Pre Modern Prometheus" in the long tradition of musical comedies about Frankenstein or in this case the true protagonist of ASoIaF: Gregor Clegane.
This would get nice juicy scenes with all of the cast hosts favorite characters. Ashley/Sandor, Kyle/Beric, Amin/Oberyn and Mimi/Shitmouth & Hot Pie.

Final scene would have to be a crossdressing Kyle singing "Walking in Westeros" as Mimi and Amin dance.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:48 am
★wardens of the woody★

FTWard wrote:
Dickon Manwoody wrote:

Yes, this is what my dream would be, musical dramatic scene/song reading with the old hosts and the new.

I was thinking "The Pre Modern Prometheus" in the long tradition of musical comedies about Frankenstein or in this case the true protagonist of ASoIaF: Gregor Clegane.
This would get nice juicy scenes with all of the cast hosts favorite characters. Ashley/Sandor, Kyle/Beric, Amin/Oberyn and Mimi/Shitmouth & Hot Pie.

Final scene would have to be a crossdressing Kyle singing "Walking in Westeros" as Mimi and Amin dance.

I want this more than anything

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 am
team stannis

brynden

re: War of the Nine Penny Kings and The Band of Nine.

I think a lot of the information we have comes from the brief write up in the Guardians of Order RPG (maybe from a So Spake also?).
I do not think there is much that actually appears in the texts other than the name and a bit about Barristan.

When I get home I can type out the passage from the RPG book.

Hopefully this will be fleshed out a bit in the world book (drink)...

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:59 am
house tinywoody lord

episode 100 = GRRM if possible, if not then Elio + Linda? - get a good conference going
episode 99 = if not done then finally get around to doing The Mystery Knight!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 pm
podcast historian

The mystery knight seems to be the big white whale - they might never get it done ;-)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:29 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

brynden wrote:
The mystery knight seems to be the big white whale - they might never get it done ;-)

But I want it!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 pm
team blacksmith

LordManderBlee wrote:
brynden wrote:

But I want it!

Yeah, so do I. I finally got over myself and read the D&Es but I found the Mystery Knight kind of a snooze, and I wonder if I'm missing something.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 pm
house mormont

inkasrain wrote:
LordManderBlee wrote:
brynden wrote:

But I want it!

Yeah, so do I. I finally got over myself and read the D&Es but I found the Mystery Knight kind of a snooze, and I wonder if I'm missing something.

Absolutely what I thought too after the first read (listening). It took me several rereads before I "really" understood it, and now I think it was probably the best of the trio

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:27 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Savonian Bear wrote:
Absolutely what I thought too after the first read (listening). It took me several rereads before I "really" understood it, and now I think it was probably the best of the trio

This! It takes a couple tries, but then you get all the backstory and the Blackfyre stuff. It's much more fun that way, you realize why it's so popular now.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm
podcast historian

I finally watched Season 2 - and I have to say:

I liked it (nearly) as much as Season 1 - if they had not butchered Qorin's storyline it would have been equally good.

What I liked:
- Brienne's casting, she is awesome
- The visuals, as always wonderful
- Tyrion vs. Cersei
- all Tyrion scenes
- drunken Cersei in the Red Keep
- Asha's casting surprised me first but grew on me much
- BLACKWATER!
- Jaime and Brienne
- Jaqen - although in the last scene he does not look like he is described
- the Harrenhal storyline - although no Bolton - was good. I wonder when Tywin will flip his table about Arya.
- Theon was awesome - as well as the whole WInterfell-arc with Osha, Maester Luwin, Rodrick and Hodor (and the boys). Except for the ending, that was only strange and confusing.

What did not make me flip a table:
- Ros - her role was in fact more logical than in season 1 - I think she will be the second prime witness in Tyrion's trial besides Shae.
- Littlefinger's speed of travel - hey, they sent him to Harrenhal and Stormsend - for a fast rider not TOO much away from Kingslanding.
- all the little changes to streamline the plot - most of them worked well (maybe because I've read ACOK last time a year ago)
- Renly's peach. That is something I do not care at all.

What was strange and could lead to trouble / what made me flip a table:
- How will they explain that Sam survived?
- Qorin's storyline - they could have included one or two more dialogues to make him more awesome and the whole plot more clear.
- Jeyene. Sorry. That storyline needed some attention, but it could have been so much better.

And some minor thing I really liked in the german translation (I watch it with my wife - a non-reader who fears to miss important parts elsewise):

Asha is called ASHA! Yay.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:30 am
Profile WWW
for my freckles, your grace

brynden wrote:
I finally watched Season 2 - and I have to say:

Asha is called ASHA! Yay.

Wait a minute. I thought Asha was changed to Yara?

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 pm
podcast historian

in the german translated version.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:31 am
Profile WWW
for my freckles, your grace

brynden wrote:
in the german translated version.

Interesting

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 am
house stark

This was a jumping on episode for me to return to the podcasts. It was cool hearing all of the history and about different hosts who've come and gone, the origins of the podcast, and so on. Cool stuff. Good chapter too, what with Catelyn treating with Renly and of course for the introduction of Brienne.

I liked how Kyle (or was it Amin?) assumed brynden was an accountant. We are a boring people. It is known.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]