View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
The Podcast of Ice and Fire Convention... Are you down?!? 

IF all 4 hosts announced they are attending a Podcast Convention you would...
Be Super-Pumped because you've wanted this for a long time 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Sell some semi-valuable shit on eBay to buy a ticket 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Give your beloved hosts a few stags to help them out 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Probably go... if the meet up was within a couple of hours of you 35%  35%  [ 13 ]
Politely Pass. This lot is better enjoyed from a distance. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37

The Podcast of Ice and Fire Convention... Are you down?!? 
★wardens of the woody★

Lately the pod-crew has been pretty busy with meet-ups and conventions. There was the very secretive Houston get together, Kyle and Amin brought the heat to the icy cold north, and now Amin will be going to both the days of ice and fire convention and the convention of ice and fire, where he will be joined by the lovely Ashley.

So this has me thinking.. what about the Ultimate: a meet up of all 4 podcast stars and of course, however many lucky listeners as are able... The Convention of The Podcast of Ice and Fire. Sounds nice, right? The chemistry between the four is so palpable on air, one can only imagine how hot things would be in the flesh. And I'm sure lots of us devoted fans would love to meet each other too... even the weirdos. :lol:

Of course, it wouldn't be easy. They're all busy and not rolling in riches or anything. That's why they need US!
If there is enough fan support this is a real possibility. So let your House Manwoody flag fly at full mast and show Mimi, Amin, Ashley, and Kyle how much this would mean to you. Vote in the poll (favorably I hope) and let your voice be heard in the thread below. And if you're even willing to part with a few dollars to ease the financial burden for the hosts, right on! They've made an awesome podcast available to us without asking for anything in return. Here's your chance to give a little back. Together, my friends, we will make this huge Manwoody dream come true! :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:04 pm
house payne

I'd be happy for them and I would look forward to seeing photos and hearing fun stories, but I don't feel the draw of actually attending myself. If I were much wealthier than I currently am, I would consider donating to needy travelers, but as things stand my stags are not multiplying at advantageous rates no matter how fervently I rub them together.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:58 pm
podcast doctor

Im down lets get it on!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 pm
Site Admin

I would definitely attend something like this. By the way, if anyone donates on paypal specifically with the goal of funding an APOIAF meet-up (rather than paying for like website costs, etc), you can specify that in the details/comments of the paypal gift.

The only thing preventing an APOIAF meet-up and convention is cost. Specifically the cost of flying us to all one place and accommodation, but mainly flights. Time and scheduling is also an issue, but that can be overcome.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:13 am
Profile WWW
podcast fanatics ☺

I would be pumped and also donate a few stags but I fear that the possibility of attending is quite low on my side. It's not only the distance and the crazy hours I'd have to sit alone on the plane... it's also the fact that I'd be going to a totally foreign place where I know no one... That's pretty darn scary.

Twitter: vaarsuvius_

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 am
★wardens of the woody★

Dickon Manwoody wrote:
I'd be going to a totally foreign place where I know no one... That's pretty darn scary.

Aww. You'd know us. Meeting with people from the Internet is always totally safe and awesome. :lol:

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:18 am
team stannis

Dickon Manwoody wrote:
it's also the fact that I'd be going to a totally foreign place where I know no one... That's pretty darn scary.

Promise not to call you Lady Dickon.
I would be psyched and contribute a bit depending on where it was at.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 am
podcast fanatics ☺

d'awww.
I thought it was gonna read I WILL SMOTHER YOU WITH MY BEARD (which looks like it needs conditioner...)

:D

Twitter: vaarsuvius_

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 am
★wardens of the woody★

Amin wrote:
The only thing preventing an APOIAF meet-up and convention is cost. Specifically the cost of flying us to all one place and accommodation, but mainly flights. Time and scheduling is also an issue, but that can be overcome.

Of course I'll be making a contribution, but I understand some people feel strapped for cash.

However, it doesn't have to be a huge sacrifice. If many people contribute a small amount it has the same effect as several large donations. By my very rough estimations about 50 or so users are relatively active on the boards. If they all gave $10.00 that would be $500.00, if they gave $20.00 there is $1,000.00. That would be a huge help. So, 5, 10, 15, whatever people can spare won't be sniffed at :D

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:22 am
podcast historian

my only problem: if I donate for such a thing I would like to take part (or course) - but given my location that seems very unlikely... In such a case I would save my money and maybe fly over myself (or to London were the biggest apoiaf-fan-community in Europe seems to be located)...

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

brynden wrote:
my only problem: if I donate for such a thing I would like to take part (or course) - but given my location that seems very unlikely... In such a case I would save my money and maybe fly over myself (or to London were the biggest apoiaf-fan-community in Europe seems to be located)...

Brynden has hit the nail on the head for us Euro fans - if this was a very real possibility I think I could possibly (and with massive amounts of both sex and booze) convince my other half to make the trek across the pond but alas we would need to conserve our funds for our own expenses

If this was a go perhaps we could even try for a hotel group discount - I have it on good authority that most hotels don't require a deposit but they do need a confirmation on numbers to calculate the discounted room rate

I am always looking for more occasions where a hooded-cloak IS appropriate and to show off my Ice replica :)

Slàinte,
Nadine.

If you piss me off I may be forced to kill you... in my book.
https://www.demonality.org/

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
mrs. sandor clegane

here's the thing, APoIaF are not big enough to draw enough people to warrant a convention, and no ones going to pay the amount needed for travel and hotel for something that is only a meet up.

Since most BNF's are in Europe we'd need to really secure the US membered of Winter is Coming and Tower of the Hand, the girls from Inn at the Crossroads, ect. We'd need to locate somewhere close to them to keep travel down and I doubt they'd come as speakers out of pocket. We'd need a small army of volunteers to pull something like a convention off, working for free and basically missing the con. We'd need people who know what the fuck they'er doing because I sure as hell don't know how to organizing something like this. There are legal issues, there's security, there's renting a hotel with small conference centre, renting sound systems, someone who can build a website, dealing with merchants and setting up a dealers room - if the hotel is union that could create even more issues, setting up enough activities to keep people busy. It would have to be 3 days because the community is so spread out it won't be worth the travel for only 2.

as you can see, i have given this some thought.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:32 pm
house payne

I misunderstood what this thread was proposing. I thought the idea was just to get the four host to all attend a convention that was already in place, but in fact this is suggestion creating a whole new gathering just for the podcast. A bold plan indeed. If it was to be a traditional convention, then all of Ashley's logistical concerns are well founded. But I could also see some people being willing to just get together, hang out and have a party without all of the typical trappings of a fan convention. There would still be a lot of obstacles to maneuver, but you never know until you try.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm
Site Admin

Ashley wrote:
here's the thing, APoIaF are not big enough to draw enough people to warrant a convention, and no ones going to pay the amount needed for travel and hotel for something that is only a meet up.

Since most BNF's are in Europe we'd need to really secure the US membered of Winter is Coming and Tower of the Hand, the girls from Inn at the Crossroads, ect. We'd need to locate somewhere close to them to keep travel down and I doubt they'd come as speakers out of pocket. We'd need a small army of volunteers to pull something like a convention off, working for free and basically missing the con. We'd need people who know what the fuck they'er doing because I sure as hell don't know how to organizing something like this. There are legal issues, there's security, there's renting a hotel with small conference centre, renting sound systems, someone who can build a website, dealing with merchants and setting up a dealers room - if the hotel is union that could create even more issues, setting up enough activities to keep people busy. It would have to be 3 days because the community is so spread out it won't be worth the travel for only 2.

as you can see, i have given this some thought.

I think you are thinking of something on a much larger grand scale than I was. What you are describing is what an ideal Ice and Fire convention would be, something that we would be a part of but not necessarily (and probably not possibly) the sole hosts of.

What I was talking about is just a meet-up, in a generic middle location that is accessible to at least a minority. Even if it is just the 4 of us properly meeting up somewhere in North America where 10-15 fans could drive or easily fly to, I think that would be fine. As for other continents, yes they would be not part of it, but if one of us is visiting Europe or elsewhere sometime we can always organize mini-meet ups there with our listeners.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
mrs. sandor clegane

no one is going to spend that kind of money for a meet up nor would i ask them to.

If there was,s ay a generic geek convention going on that we could all make it to, then that would be a different matter.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:09 pm
Site Admin

Ashley wrote:
no one is going to spend that kind of money for a meet up nor would i ask them to.

If there was,s ay a generic geek convention going on that we could all make it to, then that would be a different matter.

I wouldn't ask them to either, but if they are willing to, I wouldn't stop them 8-)

The latter is definitely an option. Comic-Con for one year, for example.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Taking advantage of another convention is a great idea, like comic con as Amin said. That is an attraction in and of itself and although not centrally located a lot of fans would be drawn to it because of all there is to see and do. I may even be able to drag my significant other along, which would greatly increase my odds of attending.

Whatever shape it takes, The main element is getting the hosts together. There is airline travel and hotel expense of course. But those can be bought at a discount if you are able to plan in advance.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:51 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

i just wanna get down and dirty with all y'all. taking my one long vacation back to the motherland this year, but will think heavily on this more when i return.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

So sad to think that some people think meeting up with the hosts of our fave podcast and other fans of same said podcast isn't a good enough reason to travel - if another convention must be happening at the same time, then my vote would be to combine it with the fledgling Ice and Fire convention (the one @ Ravenwood)

admitedly some of the forum discusions have been rather heated but I can't think of a more interesting group of peeps I'd love to meet and talk about the books and tv show with

my plan is to try and get to next year's convention - who's with me?

Slàinte,
Nadine.

If you piss me off I may be forced to kill you... in my book.
https://www.demonality.org/

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
★wardens of the woody★

If you guys did it somewhere near a major international hub airport I'd definitely make it. Either way, I'd definitely kick in some cash to help make it happen.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 pm
★wardens of the woody★

mimi wrote:
i just wanna get down and dirty with all y'all. taking my one long vacation back to the motherland this year, but will think heavily on this more when i return.

Down and duurrrty!

Have a great time drinking fermented mare's milk and corrupting young dothraki boys :D

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:38 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Erinyes wrote:
my plan is to try and get to next year's convention - who's with me?

Yes! I'd love to support both the Podcast and the Ravenwood Convention.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:39 pm
house micro-woody☹

We should have one in Los Angeles. Is anybody around LA?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]