View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Episode 99 - the Mystery Knight 
podcast historian

Great that it happened! One more until 100!

Had not time to listen - but I'm spreading the information about the D'n'E episodes over the board and I thought it would be good if it is also in this topic.

Ep30: Sweet Dornish Honey = The Mystery Knight (sorry, edit: The Hedge Knight)
Ep31: Better than Farmville = The Sworn Sword

Last edited by brynden on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 am
Profile WWW
team stannis

The comics are excellent adaptations. The HBO show...

Do you think Ser Glendon will end up on Egg's Kingsgaurd?

I think shadow binding is a separate form of magic from R'hllor.

I assume the twins were squires? Like Ser Arlan's nephew.

Any connection between Ghost and Bloodraven? Albino, red weirwood eyes, eye damaged in battle.

"I dreamed it. This pale white castle, you, a dragon bursting from an egg" Is this Aegon at Whitewalls or do you think that this might refer to another white castle/castle covered in snow and another dragon?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:29 pm
for my freckles, your grace

I think we mentioned it at the end of the episode or maybe I was drunk, but we would like to do another episode focusing on Mimi's essay and those questions FTWard would be a great discussion. Thank you.

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:43 pm
★wardens of the woody★

WHOOHOOO

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 pm
☁ podcast art manager ☁

Still listening to the podcast now.

Kyle, you are hilarious in this podcast. Everyone is great, but I think I love you more now Kyle!! :D

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:51 pm
house manwoody mongoballer

I almost choked to death on my lunch from laughing when Mimi said "fiddle with his dick!" To kyle

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 pm
house micro-woody☹

3 (Long) discussion points

1) If we believe Gormon Peake's statement that all the Lords and Ladies at the wedding are Blackfyre supporters that means House Smallwood have turned coat since Ser Eustace Osgrey described how a Loyalist Smallwood knight ("a Riverman with 6 Acorns") killed his son Addam at the battle of Redglass field in The Sworn Sword.

2) We did see the Inn of the Crossroads in the Mystery Knight. In Breinne VII of A Feast of Crows, Septon Meribald recites the entire history of the Inn, and specifically a time when it was called the "River Inn" because the "Trident flowed beneath its back door" and there was a ferry landing where "travelers could cross to Lord Harroway's Town and Whitewalls." When Brienne questions the location of the Trident, the septon acknowledges the river moved 70 to 80 years ago.

3) Where were the Northern houses during the Blackfyre rebellion? Almost every realm has at least 1 house in either the Loyalist or Rebel army except for the Ironborn and the North. I'm not shocked that the Ironborn aren't there, but wouldn't the Warden of the North be expected to send troops to the Targaryen army during such a moment of crisis?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm

browndragon wrote:
3 (Long) discussion points

1) If we believe Gormon Peake's statement that all the Lords and Ladies at the wedding are Blackfyre supporters that means House Smallwood have turned coat since Ser Eustace Osgrey described how a Loyalist Smallwood knight ("a Riverman with 6 Acorns") killed his son Addam at the battle of Redglass field in The Sworn Sword.

2) We did see the Inn of the Crossroads in the Mystery Knight. In Breinne VII of A Feast of Crows, Septon Meribald recites the entire history of the Inn, and specifically a time when it was called the "River Inn" because the "Trident flowed beneath its back door" and there was a ferry landing where "travelers could cross to Lord Harroway's Town and Whitewalls." When Brienne questions the location of the Trident, the septon acknowledges the river moved 70 to 80 years ago.

3) Where were the Northern houses during the Blackfyre rebellion? Almost every realm has at least 1 house in either the Loyalist or Rebel army except for the Ironborn and the North. I'm not shocked that the Ironborn aren't there, but wouldn't the Warden of the North be expected to send troops to the Targaryen army during such a moment of crisis?

Great points Brown Dragon

www.MADCANARD.com

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:56 am
★wardens of the woody★

I'm amazed that no one made a Dragon Tales joke when Kyle said, "they're basically the Blackfyre tales".

Also how does Tyrion not getting Greyscale prove that Targaryens are immune to diseases? Or are we also assuming secret Targ Tyrion when we go to that theory?

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Last edited by Alias on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:01 am
clerk at the supreme court of westeros

They were briefly talking about bloodraven supposedly sending shadow babies to kill his enemies, which got me a thinking.

How do guys birth shadow babies? What orifice would it come from ;)?

"Remember who you are, Daenerys...The dragons know. Do you?"
Quaithe

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:04 am
♬ podcast bard ♬

great stuff :D loads of lols :D

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 am
house tinywoody lord

Khal Wadege wrote:
They were briefly talking about bloodraven supposedly sending shadow babies to kill his enemies, which got me a thinking.

Ever pass a kidney stone? :shock:

Mere steel can't kill
-The Sword

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:00 am
house payne

GuiRodr wrote:
Khal Wadege wrote:

Ever pass a kidney stone? :shock:

I would envision male shadowbaby delivery resembling other typical gaseous excretions from the body (ie from the rear). I presume the result would be silent but deadly. ;)

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 am
★wardens of the woody★

Pod's Plight wrote:
I would envision male shadowbaby delivery resembling other typical gaseous excretions from the body (ie from the rear). I presume the result would be silent but deadly. ;)

Memo to self: Don't read APOIAF forum on smartphone on the bus for reasons of spontaneous bursts of laughter on a near silent bus-case in point see above

Then again I did get a seat all to myself afterward (no one wants to sit next to the laughing lady)

Slàinte,
Nadine.

If you piss me off I may be forced to kill you... in my book.
https://www.demonality.org/

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Where were the northeners during the Blackfyre rebellions?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 am
house tinywoody lord

Has Kyle seen sense about the fiddler yet, or does he need a bit more persuading.

Thanks for the episode, some seriously good banter in there as always the next one can't come fast enough

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm
house tinywoody mongoballer

Here you go, guys...did this today after listening to the ep...thought you might like it:
Attachment:
File comment: Ser Kyle & The Fiddler
image.jpg [227.94 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:18 pm
house payne

TheManInTheShack wrote:
Here you go, guys...did this today after listening to the ep...thought you might like it:
Attachment:
image.jpg

That's phenomenal! I love Kyle's tie and armor outfit.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 pm
Site Admin

TheManInTheShack wrote:
Attachment:
image.jpg

Nice work, it is up on our facebook site now :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm
Profile WWW

TheManInTheShack wrote:
Attachment:
image.jpg

Hahahahaha! Wow thats exactly how oblivious I am when a pretty women hits on me.

www.MADCANARD.com

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 am
podcast doctor

good episode.............i was hoping for more discussion of mimi's essay......but i suppose that oculd happen at a later time...........

also the new apoiaf drinking game is to drink every time mimi uses the "DAT (insert adjective/noun/verb/adverb)" meme

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:39 am
podcast historian

Great episode guy - sorry for the wrong info in the first post EP. 30 is THE HEDGE KNIGHT...

Overall it was an on-topic, and very solid episode and one of the episodes I would recommend to firts-time-listeners (if they already have read D'n'E) - 2 hours on-topic with lots of banter and fun.

Some random thoughts:
- Ser John is gay - obviously, who else would name himself "The Fiddler" (and once I got that the first time). It was different with Loras - in rereads I always think - HOW COULD ANYONE (me included) HAVE MISSED THAT - the Knight of Flowers - the flowery cape - SO gorgeous - the rainbow guard...?

- I remember that during my first read I was totally confused. I first thought John the Fiddler was Bloodraven - I totally got that he is someone different, but Blackfyre?! And as you also pointed out: It seem that the whole thing was not totally thought through. Could Bloodraven have orchestrated that ALL? For getting the biggest Blackfyre-supporters to one place?

- Regarding "Why Fireball's son is so good" - everybody could have a good/lucky day. Look at Jorah. There has not be any cause for that.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:00 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

brynden wrote:
Great episode guy - sorry for the wrong info in the first post EP. 30 is THE HEDGE KNIGHT...

Overall it was an on-topic, and very solid episode and one of the episodes I would recommend to firts-time-listeners (if they already have read D'n'E) - 2 hours on-topic with lots of banter and fun.

Some random thoughts:
- Ser John is gay - obviously, who else would name himself "The Fiddler" (and once I got that the first time). It was different with Loras - in rereads I always think - HOW COULD ANYONE (me included) HAVE MISSED THAT - the Knight of Flowers - the flowery cape - SO gorgeous - the rainbow guard...?

- I remember that during my first read I was totally confused. I first thought John the Fiddler was Bloodraven - I totally got that he is someone different, but Blackfyre?! And as you also pointed out: It seem that the whole thing was not totally thought through. Could Bloodraven have orchestrated that ALL? For getting the biggest Blackfyre-supporters to one place?

- Regarding "Why Fireball's son is so good" - everybody could have a good/lucky day. Look at Jorah. There has not be any cause for that.

Yeah even Rhaegar didn't usually win, people get lucky sometimes

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 am
★wardens of the woody★

Also, on a random note House Peake is I'm pretty sure meant to be an homage to Mervyn Peake and his Gormenghast books. I know that Lord Titus Groan (a Lannisterbannerman in ASoIaF) is meant to be one as well.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:17 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Alias wrote:
Also how does Tyrion not getting Greyscale prove that Targaryens are immune to diseases? Or are we also assuming secret Targ Tyrion when we go to that theory?

I'm not particularly In to the "Targ bastard Tyrion" line of thinking but I think the theory comes from that but also Dany's ostensible immunity to the bloody flux.

Oh and btw Kyle, love you to pieces but there was absolutely a great big throbbing hot sexy man on man love story in this tale, for sure. It was curvier than crooked Lombard street. Super mega ultra gay like a rainbow made of glitter. Seriously dude.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Always assumed that whatever that disease was just didn't take hold of Westerosi people. I don't think it got to Quentyn, Tyrion, Barristan, or Jorah either, right? It's been a bit since I last read Dance with Dragons, but didn't Barristan also come into direct contact with it as well?

In general, I'm just of a mind that Targaryen disease immunity would be one of the supernatural things that George would scoff at. I believe he's even said that the whole immunity to fire thing was a singular magical phenomenon.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:04 am
house tinywoody lord

From a wiki of fire and ice

"Greyscale is a disease that can leave flesh stiff and dead and the skin cracked and flaking, mottled black and grey and stone-like to the touch. The tongue and lips turn to stone.[1] It generally affects children especially in cold damp climates. The victims are disfigured but could not be touched by the rarer mortal form of the affliction or the grey plague. The wildlings consider people who survive Greyscale unclean."

"The maesters say its progress could be stayed by limes, mustard poultices, and scalding-hot baths. Septons insist that prayer, sacrifice and fasting are the cure. It is also colloquially believed that severing any affected appendages may stop the disease from spreading, but this treatment is not always effective. "

I awlays imagined it as kind of like malaria, people who live in certain geographic loactions run the risk of catching it and its simply luck of the draw, luck of what genes you have, as to whether you catch it or not.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:33 am
★wardens of the woody★

I think that they were saying Westerosi are immune to the bloody flux, not greyscale. Greyscale is clearly just random

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:49 pm
★wardens of the woody★

LordManderBlee wrote:
I think that they were saying Westerosi are immune to the bloody flux, not greyscale. Greyscale is clearly just random

Correct. :)

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:11 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Alias wrote:
LordManderBlee wrote:

Correct. :)

What I don't get though is that there was an outbreak of bloody flux in kings landing during clash when Tyrion was hand. I suppose It could be a different disease with similar symptoms, however there is another issue. Dany isn't really a Westerosi is she? I'm not sure how immunities work exactly but she was raised in Essos so it seems she would have more of an Essos immune system. I don't have any idea what I'm talking about really and maybe I'm way off. Maybe people get a lot of immunities in the womb or through her wet nurse whom I think they picked up on dragon stone. Does anyone know?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next