View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Episode 105 - And Now His Watch Is Ended 
podcast historian

No topic until now? Mimi is back! I thought the nerdgasm would be bigger ;)

Still not finished on the episode but it is good to have all four of the hosts again on air. My comments will come later.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

My morning commute just got so much better. :D

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:55 am
★wardens of the woody★

Just started, love it so far
Edit: Also just wanted to say that I'm glad to have you back Mimi, don't always agree with you, but I really did miss having you on these episodes.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

thanks y'all! i am ready to let the listenership hate wash over me like a fine mist of arbor wine. i imagine my general take on the show will be anathema to the new podcast listeners who are big fans of the show. but hopefully i successfully conveyed the scenes and actors i really enjoy.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 am
Profile WWW
podcast doctor

good episode. i think the majority of "oh no mimi's back" crowd are the newest people to come on board. these are probably the same people that havent heard the majority of the preshow episodes. mimi has definitely been gone long enough and missed enough episodes where there's a whole chunk of (mostly noob) listeners who are gonna whine. to those people i have this to say: "bye bye thanks for coming have a nice life".

im surprised that mimi confessed to purposely missing the pods because she didnt want to have her complaints/critiques on teh show. to me, thats the whole point, talk about both the good and the bad, but dont just not show up. i have no problem with her critiques as the majority of them were totally reasonable......i had a much harder time trying to grasp the concept of "how is it possible for mimi to not watch the show anymore?? theres too much good shit in there for her to not watch it at all"

thanks coming back good stuff from everyone again.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

well i really don't want to alienate prospective new listeners with my grouchiness. i think the listeners who have been with us since the beginning have more tolerance for my personality, but the eager fans of GOT who became book readers thanks to their love of the show will definitely (and justifiably) be turned off by my attitude. it's not fun to listen to a podcast about something you think is the greatest tv show of your generation, and listen to some jackass bitch about your favorite characters.

you make a good point on the main page, though. every other ASOIAF-related podcast out there was a GOT podcast first, and consequently has that GOT circlejerk product that fans of the show will enjoy. those podcasts fawn over the show, and that makes sense- that's how they began and the whole purpose of their production. so of course, none of them will have a mimo onboard.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 am
Profile WWW
house micro-woody☹

linecom1 wrote:
good episode. i think the majority of "oh no mimi's back" crowd are the newest people to come on board. these are probably the same people that havent heard the majority of the preshow episodes. mimi has definitely been gone long enough and missed enough episodes where there's a whole chunk of (mostly noob) listeners who are gonna whine. to those people i have this to say: "bye bye thanks for coming have a nice life".

im surprised that mimi confessed to purposely missing the pods because she didnt want to have her complaints/critiques on teh show. to me, thats the whole point, talk about both the good and the bad, but dont just not show up. i have no problem with her critiques as the majority of them were totally reasonable......i had a much harder time trying to grasp the concept of "how is it possible for mimi to not watch the show anymore?? theres too much good shit in there for her to not watch it at all"

Who the hell are you tell people why they are allowed to like the podcast? I've listened to every episode and nearly all of my favourite episodes are without Mimi in them (Guys Night Outs, Canadian edition , Boiled Leather and the majority of the S2 recaps). Stop projecting your love of Mimi onto everyone else.
YOU love the podcast because Mimi is on it. I love the podcast until she is on it.

P.S I actually like Mimi on the earlier episodes, especially Girls Night Out, but the nerd rage is just too much for me to enjoy.

Last edited by Brooksy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am
podcast doctor

i disagree. you forget that I AM one of those among the "watched show first, read books after" crowd. i was definitely a little turned off by chase's constant curmudging but alot of it was due to the fact that he was whining about shit that was straight from the books "ie catelyn not getting her fingers totally chopped off by the valyrian steel knife".

all of your complaints have been predominantly shared by amin, ash, and kyle, and when they disagree or offer a counterpoint you're pretty reasonable.

if people dont like you i would really rather them not be here. there are other places for them.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:22 am
podcast doctor

Brooksy wrote:
linecom1 wrote:

Who the hell are you tell people why they are allowed to like the podcast? I've listened to every episode and nearly all of my favourite episodes are without Mimi in them (Guys Night Outs, Canadian edition , Boiled Leather and the majority of the S2 recaps). Stop projecting your love of Mimi onto everyone else.
YOU love the podcast because Mimi is on it. I love the podcast until she is on it.

P.S I actually like Mimi on the earlier episodes, especially Girls Night Out, but the nerd rage since Dance was released is just too much for me to enjoy.

who am I? it doesnt matter who i am; what matters is that this is not a case where some guest host like larry comes on and listeners suggest to not have him back .........

MIMI FOUNDED THE FUCKING PODCAST, do you call the Late Show and request for them to not have David Letterman hosting?

mimi isn't going anywhere adn if you dont like her then stfu and gtfo.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Brooksy wrote:
I love the podcast until she is on it.

i think you'll have a good time with the next handful of episode recaps, since i'll be out of the country for a few weeks. but unfortunately, upon my return, my 3 year commitment to full time work/full time grad school will be done on the academic front and being on the podcast will be a top priority for me again. hope that doesn't deter you from ever listening to APOIAF again, because the three other opinions and guest opinions are always excellent and worthwhile reasons to tune in. but i understand either way!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 am
Profile WWW
podcast historian

Calm down - everybody. This board is no place to fight your little cat-fight. Go out in the yard or write personal messages.

Mimi is back. and that is all to say. it is fair to complain about her attitude - if she shows it (at least in the beginning of the recent episode it is subtle and ok - the rest i (still) can not rate.)

@ linecom - I know you are Mimi's biggest fan out there and would go for her everywhere - through dragonfire and melisandre's shadows. But please - do not tell people to f*** off and go home only because they do not agree with your point of view (and do not write general statements like that - the podcast should attract as much people as possible and not piss off listeners only because the boards are hostile - we have westeros.org for that). These boards have been a place for grown ups and I hope they will also be in the future.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 am
Profile WWW
house micro-woody☹

mimi wrote:
Brooksy wrote:

i think you'll have a good time with the next handful of episode recaps, since i'll be out of the country for a few weeks. but unfortunately, upon my return, my 3 year commitment to full time work/full time grad school will be done on the academic front and being on the podcast will be a top priority for me again. hope that doesn't deter you from ever listening to APOIAF again, because the three other opinions and guest opinions are always excellent and worthwhile reasons to tune in. but i understand either way!

I'm talking just about the show reviews and the constant snipes you continued to make even when you decided not to watch the show not the podcast as a whole. You are not my favourite host but that is not a disgrace when the other hosts are as awesome as Amin, Ashley and Kyle. Like I said before I really enjoyed your contribution to the podcast until the S2 reviews.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 am
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Brooksy wrote:
mimi wrote:
Brooksy wrote:

I'm talking just about the show reviews and the constant snipes you continued to make even when you decided not to watch the show not the podcast as a whole. You are my least favourite host but that is not a disgrace when the other hosts are as awesome as Amin, Ashley and Kyle. Like I said before I really enjoyed your contribution to the podcast until the S2 reviews.

Brooksy, I think that you might be taking this a little too seriously. This podcast is done by the hosts for their entertainment, and is shared for our entertainment. If you cannot handle a differing opinion about a series of novels and its derivative television show (even though there is almost always a counterpoint to an argument made), I think that you might not like this podcast or forum. I disagree with every host over different things but the podcast and forum is not an echo chamber on almost any front, be it books or show.

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

brynden wrote:
Mimi is back. and that is all to say. it is fair to complain about her attitude - if she shows it (at least in the beginning of the recent episode it is subtle and ok - the rest i (still) can not rate.)

i think the beginning of the episode was a bit of a pent-up vent session for me, but the rest of the episode i'm fairly level. there are things i think are done well and added scenes/character interactions that i've really enjoyed, and i'm as effusive about that as i am about the things i don't like.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am
Profile WWW
podcast doctor

brynden wrote:
Calm down - everybody. This board is no place to fight your little cat-fight. Go out in the yard or write personal messages.

@ linecom - I know you are Mimi's biggest fan out there and would go for her everywhere - through dragonfire and melisandre's shadows. But please - do not tell people to f*** off and go home only because they do not agree with your point of view (and do not write general statements like that - the podcast should attract as much people as possible and not piss off listeners only because the boards are hostile - we have westeros.org for that). These boards have been a place for grown ups and I hope they will also be in the future.

its perfectly fine to disagree with things the hosts say here adn there, and to have a discussion about it. my gtfo comment is more directed at people saying "please dont have mimi back.....or i dont like it when mimi is on".......... thats like ordering a coke without the carbonation; if you dont want a carbonated drink, dont order coke. if you fundamentally cant stand mimi, i dont understand how you'd last as a fan of this podcast.

if broosy meant to say that he/she just disagreed with certain things mimi said, then thats fine. and i apologize for being harsh, but i think i sort of connected the complaints on teh front page comments and the chatbox as coming from teh same person who was basically saying they dont like mimi and wont listen if she's on.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

yeah....feels weird being told I DON'T LIKE YOU. not sure how to respond to that but

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 am
Profile WWW
house micro-woody lord

Hi there!

I don't want to fuel things up but I find it a bit strange that there are some complaints about "nerdraging". The reason why I listen to the podcast is -among many others- the nerdraging :) like that there should be more bowing or less Ros :lol:

Keep up the rage and thanks for the episode.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 am
for my freckles, your grace

A Cute Puppy!!!!!

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

i had literally never noticed the bowing thing before, good thing ashley has more of a handle on that dat court lyfe and protocol.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 am
Profile WWW
podcast historian

Kyle wrote:
A Cute Puppy!!!!!

I really like your constructive contribution :D

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 am
Profile WWW
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kyle wrote:
A Cute Puppy!!!!!

SHUT UP KYLE YOU'RE MY LEAST FAVORITE PART OF THIS PODCAST.

jk you're like the sailor moon to my queen beryl i don't know what i'd do without you.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 am
Profile WWW
for my freckles, your grace

mimi wrote:
jk you're like the sailor moon to my queen beryl i don't know what i'd do without you.

I have no idea what that means.

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:08 am
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Kyle wrote:
mimi wrote:

I have no idea what that means.

http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Beryl

http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Usagi_Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon)

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 am
house payne

Very quality episode! I'm glad to have Mimi back, the team is always the best when all four players are together. No one should hide or abridge their criticism for fear of upsetting listeners. The reason we come here and listen is because we what to hear what you think and experience your rage and your joy with you.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am
Site Admin

Our listeners don't have to listen to every episode. There are listeners I know who like the books but haven't even watched the TV show and they avoid the TV episode reviews because it has no meaning for them. And now there are listeners who skip them because there may too much nerd rage and others who skip because there isn't enough. That is fine and that is their personal decision. In regards to the TV show, over 3/4 of the year we are focused on the books and chapter rereads and will always be focused on the books so that is still plenty to enjoy.

Now for my detailed personal view: I don't like it when I'm told I won't listen if X or Y will happen or Z is on the show. That's a personal decision, you don't have to tell us that because it won't affect how we podcast, in particular for having the 4 podcast hosts who have never been asked to skip an episode (If they want to skip one for work or life or whatever that is their own personal decision). For one example, when I spent the long time editing Blackwater last year and I got some feedback that was simply "Larry is on again, I won't be listening." Never mind the fact that over half the episode occurred after Larry left for the night. I would prefer getting feedback that "I disagree with Larry on X and Y" and "it made my blood boil you said Z." Not that you just are peacing out from the episode description, fine, do that, you don't have to broadcast that to me.

I would rather get negative feedback and constructive criticism about what listeners did and didn't like that just saying you won't listen. However, I think most of the negative feedback (so far anyway, the main rush hasn't listened yet) has been along those lines (detailed feedback) anyway for this episode.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 am
Profile WWW
house bolton

Awesome having the whole gang back together. While I don't generally agree with Mimi's take on the show... I love hearing it. Keep it up. I don't want to hear a circle jerk of adoration.

Also I very much respect that the podcast knows there is a line with the nerd rage. And the self editing is probably necessary. Wish other people within the community would take a cue from you guys. (ehem... *cough* Linda *cough*) Great being "fundamentalist" or "hipster" and yet still be constructive.

All of you guys do a GREAT job. And I appreciate the Podcast for all of its many facets. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Just look inside yourself and you'll see me waving up at you naked wearing only a cock ring.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:25 am
house micro-woody☹

Mimi is great and I love when she is debating things in the books. She can be very negative on some things in the books (ala her "all dany does is have her period over and over in ADWD) but its balanced.

However, she really ruins episode recaps of the tv show for me. Let me stress that I don't want a 100% positive podcast obviously, but every single scene of the recap it was her negativity that was dominating it. First scene is "who the fuck is John Lock" instead of any talk of the actual episode. Then "Who the fuck is in the box". Then the Ros complaints in the next scene. Scene recap after scene recap was attacked and I feel like her tone ends up dominating. Kyle said on the podcast that she brings balance, but that isn't so. The podcast without her is balanced. With her it has a clear negative stance.

Also, for my "credentials", I bought Game of Thrones in 1997 and have listened to every episode of this podcast. So fuck off with the "only the noobs" feel this way or only people that started with the tv show.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:32 am
house tinywoody lord

I don't know I think Kyle did a good job of moving on if there was too much hate being thrown on a particular scene. I also think mimi was making an actual effort to be as positive as she could (about the things she liked).

Keep in mind that she probably hasn't been following the show at all -- so while I had been following up on GoT news and was shocked about this random Locke replacing the lovable Vargo Hoat and had time to accept it, mimi just saw it for the first time there and was like huh?

A lot of the hate she has with certain things is stuff that annoyed me too, it just annoys her more and she's more vocally negative about it -- which honestly I prefer to having no negative at all. It was so incredibly frustrating to listen to all those TV reviews of Season 2 where they went on about how this is the best tv show on the planet when there were so many obvious plot holes and silly decisions made by the writers. It's good when someone brings them out, even if it is in a slightly exaggerated way.

Really liked this episode, great to have mimi back. Though from what guys said about the dracarys scene, I feel like you guys should watch it again. The music and the buildup in that scene, the High Valyrian reveal and the subtle reactions of each person as the scene played out and generally Dany spaking Valyrian was just so superbly done I actually thought Drogon burning Kraznys was an after thought because everything leading upto that was so awesome. I've had discussions with a few people on why they didn't like that scene (so on Mimi's boat) and I think it was just that they expected the massacre/Drogon inferno to last longer where as in this they just showed 10 seconds of destruction and then cut out to when everything was done.
Gotta say though, I was so looking forward to hearing your Ros hate in the after show, too bad it got cut :(

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sillent wrote:
I think it was just that they expected the massacre/Drogon inferno to last longer where as in this they just showed 10 seconds of destruction and then cut out to when everything was done.

ah ha, i think maybe this is why i thought the scene was rather underwhelming, for me. i couldn't figure out why it wasn't as thrilling to me as i expected it to be, but i think it may come down to how truncated the destruction was. not sure. regardless, that marching out of astapor was definitely awesome.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

mimi wrote:
Brooksy wrote:

So glad you're done that grad school bullshit. Can't wait to have more Mimi again. You da man mimi. Also, Kyle, PUPPIES
http://kstumps.tumblr.com/post/26495670202/lacethekiddo-golden-retriever-siberian-husky

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next