View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Episode 110: Second Sons 
house manwoody lord

Balerion wrote:
But she didn't need to "seduce" Edric Storm for her sham leech ritual, why would she need to seduce Gendry? And in the process terrify him, making him less useful for the eventual sacrifice she actually intends?

I don't have my books to hand as I'm in the office, but IIRC Book Mels reasons for wanting to sacrifice Edric were not to do with making shadow babies but bring dragons back to life or some such, where as in the TV series they've forgone that storyline (needless complexity for the viewers given the plan never reaches fruition) and followed through with producing more shadow babies angle (Ref: Mels conversation with Stannis when she leaves Dragonstone and how 'his fires burn low'). Seducing Gendry makes sense in that regard for TV Mel. As for how things played out, well the plan changed. Will write more later (deadlines).

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men.

Last edited by Kadayi on Tue May 28, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 am
house bolton

jesicka309 wrote:
What are you guys even fighting about anymore.....? Seems like you're all going around in circles.

I took about a week off this thread. As I felt the topic was pretty well agreed upon by most everyone. Really only one person has been championing the other side of the arguement... and the more people that it was gratuitous the more he seemed to fan the flames... in other words it almost felt like being trolled.

When MOST people here in the forum of APOIAF (home of dick jokes and base humor, not a crowd of prudes) feel that the nudity levels are gratuitous that says something. And even if you personally don't feel they are gratuitous... it should be clear that most people feel this way. And again coming from a crowd of people the don't have an issue by and large with Nudity/Sex... that says the show has probably gone over a line, it is being excessive. And that is an issue the show runners should realize is detracting from the product.

The idea is that not so much what myself or any one person believes... We all have different levels as to what is we feel is acceptable. No matter how hard someone argues for one side or another, this is not a topic where you are going to change a person's mind. It is personal taste.

Just look inside yourself and you'll see me waving up at you naked wearing only a cock ring.

Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 am
brotherhood without banners

jesicka309 wrote:
What are you guys even fighting about anymore.....? Seems like you're all going around in circles.

you're right, I'm sorry.

Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 am
Site Admin

ShadowStalker wrote:

When MOST people here in the forum of APOIAF (home of dick jokes and base humor, not a crowd of prudes) feel that the nudity levels are gratuitous that says something. And even if you personally don't feel they are gratuitous... it should be clear that most people feel this way. And again coming from a crowd of people the don't have an issue by and large with Nudity/Sex... that says the show has probably gone over a line, it is being excessive. And that is an issue the show runners should realize is detracting from the product.

The idea is that not so much what myself or any one person believes... We all have different levels as to what is we feel is acceptable. No matter how hard someone argues for one side or another, this is not a topic where you are going to change a person's mind. It is personal taste.

Well said. The podcast crew itself is quite liberal too, I hope it is obvious that we are far from being prudes :feathered:

Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 am
Profile WWW
brotherhood without banners

Amin wrote:
ShadowStalker wrote:

Well said. The podcast crew itself is quite liberal too, I hope it is obvious that we are far from being prudes :feathered:

Noone would think that :D. But in all fairness they seem to have toned it down significantly this year, since in épisodes 1-5 there's barely any nudity and the one we're getting is actually building up the characters (Jaime-Brienne, Jon Snow-Ygritte). And now they had 4 nude scenes in 2 episodes (2 of them sex scenes and 2 of them gratuitous) and all of a sudden it's worse than last year? I just don't get the complaint, as it seems to ignore the fact that we DID definitely see an improvement with season 3 in this department and that in all likelihood it's going to get better in that area in the future. I get that overall complaint that there's too much sex but I can definitely see that they do seem to mind criticisms of the show and actually act on it by improving the show.

Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm
Site Admin

Beric175 wrote:
Amin wrote:
ShadowStalker wrote:

Noone would think that :D. But in all fairness they seem to have toned it down significantly this year, since in épisodes 1-5 there's barely any nudity and the one we're getting is actually building up the characters (Jaime-Brienne, Jon Snow-Ygritte). And now they had 4 nude scenes in 2 episodes (2 of them sex scenes and 2 of them gratuitous) and all of a sudden it's worse than last year? I just don't get the complaint, as it seems to ignore the fact that we DID definitely see an improvement with season 3 in this department and that in all likelihood it's going to get better in that area in the future. I get that overall complaint that there's too much sex but I can definitely see that they do seem to mind criticisms of the show and actually act on it by improving the show.

I haven't gone through and done the numbers like you have so I'll take your word on it. It's hard to mentally balance things when this season is freshly in our mind. I agree those earlier scenes you mentioned used the nudity well :feathered: Even if it is not as bad as past seasons, it's still worth pointing out if it starts to slide downhill again. It could be better than past seasons and still excessive fan service. It could be still miles ahead of the crap that has happened in the anime scene, but still be troublesome. It is not an all or nothing thing.

For the forums in general: It's not like D&D read these forums so their feelings are not going to get hurt. I suspect they have thick skins. What are forums are is a collection of podcast listeners freely expressing what they thought of the books and the show as individuals and roughly gauging how we feel about these things in our own little sub-community as a whole. We are free to disagree after all this discussion and that's fine. It's just important to keep in mind the nature of these forums, which are a reflection of the podcast, which in turn is a reflection, as I've said, of a group of friends having hearty discussions at a restaurant or around the campfire. In my personal experiences in those situations, we may have deep debates and disagree, but there is a certain level of respect inherently present in such situations.

Tue May 28, 2013 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
house manwoody lord

Beric175 wrote:

I think what you wrote earlier on sums things up entirely tbh Beric: -

Quote:
So many people seem butthurt over the nudity but compared to the other seasons there was virtually no nudity in this season (except for Mel, Talisa and the Ramsay girls and I'm not counting Ygritte, Brienne or dany because that's part of their story and it develops their characters and so it did not seem gratuitous). To me the sexploitation aspect sounds like the safe argument to criticise the show because when everything else fails people can always try to go "oh it's bad because it's exploitative because it's shoving sex down our throats and is therefore pandering to the perverts and that butt shot ruined the episode for me, etc." when actually they've managed to tone that aspect down quite a bit this year and I'm glad they reduced it. You look back at the whole show so far this year has been really tame. It's HBO, sex is a given in any show they do.

I think it's all very well for people to say they're not prudes, but given the exhortations that seem to rise whenever there's a flash of bare flesh it's hard to take that statement seriously. With regard to the oft quoted Neil Marshall interview. I recommend everyone actually listen to the audio: -

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34164

They get into the 'sexposition' thing (a bit of a misnomer as there's no actual sex in 'Blackwater' just nudity) around the 7+ minute mark. Now what's interesting isn't so much that he says he was encouraged to feature some nudity (that much is known) but that it was one of the producers informally doing so (the self confessed pervert side Vs the writers), it wasn't an actual official mandate as such. I kind of feel that information has been conveniently overlooked by some in their representations, in favour of broad brushing the entire production (if so where were the boob out Qarth dresses?). Hell for all anyone knows said producer might of in fact been George (the most ironic of Trolls if that was the case :lol: ). Personally I'd like to see where George stands on the shows nudity myself. AFAIK he's not said anything, but then I'm not on top of every interview he gives.

Also O/T come on Episode 9 already

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men.

Tue May 28, 2013 1:55 pm
aicrag-oile®

Quote:
So they’re not worried, they’re not trying to pull back on it?

Not in the slightest, no, no. This particular exec took me to one side and said, “Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is the serious drama side—I represent the perv side of the audience, and I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.” So you go ahead and do it.

So you're at your job and your boss goes up to you to talk about your current project. And he tells you that he wants you to do a certain thing related to the project. And you feel you have to go ahead and do that.

That's not an official mandate?

Tue May 28, 2013 5:53 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Beric175 wrote:
jesicka309 wrote:

you're right, I'm sorry.

Yeah me too, this discussion is, sadly enough, not going anywhere.

Tue May 28, 2013 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5