View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What if - Part 3 
Site Admin

Coming years later, What if? Episode part 3. Suggestions made here. Going to have Steven on from Race for the Iron Throne. Will take suggestions for other guest hosts as well (not going to be a regular podcast episode and so the roster is up for grabs).

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Like what ifs for ASoIaF? Or am i missing something here?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:58 pm
for my freckles, your grace

I think Amin is talking about a What If episode of the podcast. Like what if Tyrion hadn't killed Tywin? Or what if Theon and Cat had a secret love affair?

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:07 pm
team blacksmith

Kyle wrote:
I think Amin is talking about a What If episode of the podcast. Like what if Tyrion hadn't killed Tywin? Or what if Theon and Cat had a secret love affair?

...That escalated quickly...

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 pm
house baratheon

Steven's What Ifs on Race for the Iron Throne are the best bits on a chapter re-read I've had the experience of reading! Splendid to hear his take on things.

What if the Freys botched the Red Wedding? Either:
a) Robb was alerted before they reached the Twins drawbridge (Olyvar Frey got a message to him)
b) Catelyn put all the pieces together sooner

Weirwood-Net Character Tracker - Watchlist for Winter Survey Results

Last edited by KCenturion on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:25 pm
☁ podcast art manager ☁

What if Roose Bolton had married Catelyn Stark after Ned's death? (Not bad really. Would have solidified the Bolton/Stark alliance for a generation, provided Roose with an opportunity to get more heirs with a known fertile women of child bearing age, would have revented Roose from going to the Freys when things went to crap...)

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:57 pm
★wardens of the woody★

I'll be interested to see how it goes. What-ifs are a tricky business. I vaguely remember the episodes you had on this previously and they were pretty good iirc.

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:07 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

Kyle wrote:

And Rickon was Cat and Theon's love child? Going too far??? Reaching...

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:47 pm
★wardens of the woody★

jesicka309 wrote:
What if Roose Bolton had married Catelyn Stark after Ned's death? (Not bad really. Would have solidified the Bolton/Stark alliance for a generation, provided Roose with an opportunity to get more heirs with a known fertile women of child bearing age, would have revented Roose from going to the Freys when things went to crap...)

AND then Cat would be all like, keep torturing theon he's the worst! :lol: Other good what ifs, what if they'd executed Barristan? What if Robert hadn't married Cersei? what if Jaime'd been sent to the wall? What if Viserys had stayed in Pentos? What if Edmure had kept his men back at the battle where he turned Tywin? What if Melisandre had gone to/started fucking/converted Robert?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:10 pm
clerk at the supreme court of westeros

What if Tyrion was aware of the Dornish plot against house Lannister when considering marrying Myrcella off?

What if Joffery had told Ser Barristan to beat Sansa?

"Remember who you are, Daenerys...The dragons know. Do you?"
Quaithe

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:05 am
☁ podcast art manager ☁

What is Robb wasn't declared King in the North, but opted to stay just Lord of Winterfell?

What if Ned didn't get nicked? (I don't know if this one has been discussed at length before).

What if Daenerys had been born first, and Viserys was the 'stormborn' baby born on Dragonstone?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:08 am
podcast historian

What if Robb was NOT named King of the Riverlands but only the North?
What if Doran had not learned of Arianne's plot?

More to come - I'm specifically thinking of ADWD-related ones.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:26 am
Profile WWW
house baratheon

What if Sansa pushed Joffrey from the Walls and the Hound covered for her?

What if Brienne followed Sharna's advice and took the road leading to the Brotherhood's trap?

Not sure on the timeline but what if Ygritte was pregnant and revealed it to Jon when they were south of the Wall?

This strikes me as a BIG one: What if [any other three of Robb's protectors] died at the Whispering Wood at Jaime's blade and Daryn Hornwood, Eddard and Torrhen Karstark lived?

The others were: Smalljon Umber (heir), Dacey Mormont (heir), Patrek Mallister (heir), Wendel Manderly, Robin Flint (heir?) and 5 Freys (probably Petyr, Steffon, Perwyn, Benfrey and Olyvar)

I neglected to add Theon as that could be a whole other What If by itself.

Alternaively, if Theon survived the Whispering Wood as normal but Robb takes Catelyn's advice and sends: a) Tytos Blackwood, b) Jason Mallister, or c) Stevron Frey?

Weirwood-Net Character Tracker - Watchlist for Winter Survey Results

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:32 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

I have some, its what if the characters were switched at birth.

What if Sansa was in Arya's place, and Arya in Sansa.
What if Arianne Martel was in Asha Geryjoy's place, and Asha in Arianne.
Ned Stark and Stannis
Doran Martell with Baelon Geryjoy
Jon Snow and Tyrion
Catlyn and Cercei

Last edited by fortytwo on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:19 am
house micro-woody lord

What if Lyanna survived the Rebellion and was returned to Robert? Would Robert take her back or risk the anger of the North? Whether she really was the love of life or not does he really marry a woman "raped" by Rhaegar and possibly the mother to a Targ?

What if Yoren and company survived their encounter with Lorch and were able to carry on? I've always been intrigued by the idea of Jaqen Rorge and Biter on the Wall. Where does Arya's story go if not to Harrenhal?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:44 am
Site Admin

How's this for the special roster for this episode: Steven (Race for the Iron Throne), Alex (Tower of the Hand), Stefan (Boiled Leather Audio Hour) :ugeek:

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Seems like a fine roster.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 pm
team blacksmith

Amin wrote:
How's this for the special roster for this episode: Steven (Race for the Iron Throne), Alex (Tower of the Hand), Stefan (Boiled Leather Audio Hour) :ugeek:

Yes, especially if you make occasional "Steven and Stefan" jokes. (But a woman wouldn't go awry either.)

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 pm
Site Admin

inkasrain wrote:
Amin wrote:

Yes, especially if you make occasional "Steven and Stefan" jokes. (But a woman wouldn't go awry either.)

The next round table I host on ADWD and/or Essos, I definitely want more gender balance for sure. For the What If, there's not much that can be done when the webmasters of the websites who have done the most specific work on "What-If" situations are all male.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
house manwoody lord

What if Robb had allowed Karstark to take the black instead of executing him?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:39 pm
house micro-woody☹

What if...
Ned was allowed to take the black?
Edmure allowed Tywin's Host at Stone Mill to cross?
Melisandre was at the Battle of the Blackwater?
Robb had left enough soldiers to the protect the North?
Viserys stays with Illyrio?
Theon raids Winterfell, but doesn't stay?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:21 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

Amin wrote:
inkasrain wrote:
Amin wrote:

The next round table I host on ADWD and/or Essos, I definitely want more gender balance for sure. For the What If, there's not much that can be done when the webmasters of the websites who have done the most specific work on "What-If" situations are all male.

True that, though the latest Sean T. Collins/Alyssa Rosenberg discussion thingy makes me think she has a fine brain to pick for the topic... Of course, scheduling is quite another thing :( Susan Vaught was also very good when she showed up for the episode with Kyle and yourself.

PS I miss Ashley already!

www.eeriepresence.com

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
podcast historian

Amin wrote:

BTW: I think this roster is AWESOME - I maybe would suggest also Elio if possible. And ghostlovesinger (TotH essyist). Both would fit too well. And KCenturion or FTWard from our boards would also do great...

Before I (finally) bring my ADWD-what-ifs I want to bring one very special one from ASOS, one that bugs me quite a while now:

ASOS wrote:
“Yes,” said Catelyn, “but my lord husband taught his sons that killing should never be easy.” “Oh.” Queen Jeyne wet her lips. “Robb has not eaten all day. I had Rollam bring him a nice supper, boar’s ribs and stewed onions and ale, but he never touched a bite of it. He spent all morning writing a letter and told me not to disturb him, but when the letter was done he burned it. Now he is sitting and looking at maps. I asked him what he was looking for, but he never answered. I don’t think he ever heard me. He wouldn’t even change out of his clothes. They were damp all day, and bloody. I want to be a good wife to him, I do, but I don’t know how to help. To cheer him, or comfort him. I don’t know what he needs. Please, my lady, you’re his mother, tell me what I should do.”

WHAT IF: Robb did not burn this letter but sent it. And when you talk about it: What do you think was included in the letter? And to whom did he want to send it??

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

brynden wrote:
Amin wrote:

BTW: I think this roster is AWESOME - I maybe would suggest also Elio if possible. And ghostlovesinger (TotH essyist). Both would fit too well. And KCenturion or FTWard from our boards would also do great...

Before I (finally) bring my ADWD-what-ifs I want to bring one very special one from ASOS, one that bugs me quite a while now:

ASOS wrote:
“Yes,” said Catelyn, “but my lord husband taught his sons that killing should never be easy.” “Oh.” Queen Jeyne wet her lips. “Robb has not eaten all day. I had Rollam bring him a nice supper, boar’s ribs and stewed onions and ale, but he never touched a bite of it. He spent all morning writing a letter and told me not to disturb him, but when the letter was done he burned it. Now he is sitting and looking at maps. I asked him what he was looking for, but he never answered. I don’t think he ever heard me. He wouldn’t even change out of his clothes. They were damp all day, and bloody. I want to be a good wife to him, I do, but I don’t know how to help. To cheer him, or comfort him. I don’t know what he needs. Please, my lady, you’re his mother, tell me what I should do.”

WHAT IF: Robb did not burn this letter but sent it. And when you talk about it: What do you think was included in the letter? And to whom did he want to send it??

I remember seeing that. I think I know what the letter was, I'll mention it during the podcast.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

What if the letter had been sent and has been a letter of surrender and Robb had entered a brokered peace a la the Greyjoys?

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:22 am

How about, Book 5 Chap "Griffon Reborn"

What if Jon Connington was successful in finding and killing Robert at Stoney Sept, would Ned and Jon Arryn surrendered and bent the knee ?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:06 pm
podcast historian

Ok - here it comes.

What if Tyrion had not convinced Aegon to go west?
What if Jon had fought Tormund Giantsbane?
What if the Shavepate/Greyworm/Barristan catched the red flux?
What if Stannis would not have freed Deepwood Motte but went straight to Winterfell after convincing the clans?
What if somebody had revealed that Fake-Arya is fake?
What if Walder Frey died before the wedding in Winterfell?
What if the Iron Throne did not believe Manderly?
What if Jon had not ordered all of his loyalists to go away?
What if Quentyn had not decided that he need to steal a dragon (or his friends stopped him)?
What if Tyrion had managed to meet Dany and finally seen a dragon?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:40 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

You may have done some of these previously, but with a different panel, so I'll mention them.

What if Ned refused to be Hand and stayed in the North?
What if Ned hadn't been injured and had ridden out with Beric?
What if Stannis and Jon Arryn had gone to Robert regarding the paternity of Joff et al?
What if, at the Hand's tourney, Gregor had killed Sandor after he was ordered to stop, and was executed by Robert?

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:17 am
podcast historian

What if Renly had brought Maegary sooner to Kingslanding.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 am
Profile WWW

What if Jaime and Brienne had reached King's Landing before the Purple Wedding? Oh wait...
What if Arya had taken a ship to White Harbor? Or god forbid, stayed at the Saltpans?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next