View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
My own Valyrian doom - iTunes help, anyone? 
house stark

So I had a lot of problems with iTunes recently, involving restoring my old library files and restoring all of my files from a backup. My music seems to be largely intact -- but I seem to have lost all of my APOIAF episodes!

I checked the store and saw I was still subscribed, and went to my library to 'Show Old Episodes' of the podcast. This only gives me episodes back to 107 - try as I might, I can't seem to find out how to access the oldest episodes through the store.

I've started downloading the old episodes from the site and mirror sites (Mega and Dropbox), but I wanted to check with the Maesters here on the forums to see if I'm missing some step that can let iTunes do all of this for me. Downloading the individual episodes is cumbersome - only the first six worked for me on Mega, now I'm downloading them 1 by 1 from Dropbox (up to episode 11 so far). And for each episode, I have to painstakingly re-tag everything in iTunes - episode name and description, genre, date, track number, media type, artwork, etc. Am I making this hard on myself by missing some simple steps?

Any help or suggestions you can come up with are tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:35 am
★wardens of the woody★

Had something similar happen to me. I think only 107 and up are on iTunes now and you have to upload via DB (which is a huge pain in the ass).

Oh well...

FTWard wrote:
+5 to nerd cred for Eiffel :geek: :D

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 pm
house stark

Yeah, I can't find anyway to get older episodes thru iTunes either. So I'm getting them one by one. Mega doesn't seem to like me trying to download 100 MB files on my SSD with only 5 GB of room (this is a separate issue causing problems with other stuff in my ecosystem, gonna upgrade my system SSD ASAP). So I've gotta clean my cache in Chrome every few episodes before it starts behaving again.

It's funny seeing how some of the episodes come in tagged as Ska, Blues, etc. when initially imported into iTunes. APOIAF, your #1 source for Westerosi Ska. ;) And hey, at least the episodes are archived! Looks like the Dropbox and Mega sites have all be updated or re-built within the last 6-9 months. So big thanks to all of the hosts (probably really Amin) for taking the time to do that.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:43 pm
Site Admin

rpawson wrote:
Yeah, I can't find anyway to get older episodes thru iTunes either. So I'm getting them one by one. Mega doesn't seem to like me trying to download 100 MB files on my SSD with only 5 GB of room (this is a separate issue causing problems with other stuff in my ecosystem, gonna upgrade my system SSD ASAP). So I've gotta clean my cache in Chrome every few episodes before it starts behaving again.

It's funny seeing how some of the episodes come in tagged as Ska, Blues, etc. when initially imported into iTunes. APOIAF, your #1 source for Westerosi Ska. ;) And hey, at least the episodes are archived! Looks like the Dropbox and Mega sites have all be updated or re-built within the last 6-9 months. So big thanks to all of the hosts (probably really Amin) for taking the time to do that.

Before we started tagging the episodes properly, I remember tagging them as ska sometimes, lol. Now we have had the same meta tagging and image tagging for the last 50 or so episodes, at least. Helps that I pretty much edited the last 50 episodes, though I've made a guide for that so that it will be set for all episodes.

Episode 49 onward can be direct downloaded off our site there, it is just the first 50 episodes that are on dropbox and mega (and potentially another service when I get around to it). Many of the early ones are really low quality anyway and very out of date :ugeek: A lot of long running podcasts don't even bother keeping their earliest episodes for that reason

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
house stark

Amin wrote:
Before we started tagging the episodes properly, I remember tagging them as ska sometimes, lol. Now we have had the same meta tagging and image tagging for the last 50 or so episodes, at least. Helps that I pretty much edited the last 50 episodes, though I've made a guide for that so that it will be set for all episodes.

Episode 49 onward can be direct downloaded off our site there, it is just the first 50 episodes that are on dropbox and mega (and potentially another service when I get around to it). Many of the early ones are really low quality anyway and very out of date :ugeek: A lot of long running podcasts don't even bother keeping their earliest episodes for that reason

I'm focusing on the early ones for now and will get the rest off the site as you say. And I'm grateful you still have the earliest episodes available somewhere, it's greatly appreciated. Somehow I knew it would be you that did all of this. Basically, I'm saying this is all Mimi's fault.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:35 am
Site Admin

rpawson wrote:
Amin wrote:

I'm focusing on the early ones for now and will get the rest off the site as you say. And I'm grateful you still have the earliest episodes available somewhere, it's greatly appreciated. Somehow I knew it would be you that did all of this. Basically, I'm saying this is all Mimi's fault.

Mimi is the sugar mama that keeps the website afloat (donations side) :geek:

Blame iTunes and you'll be right most of the time :ugeek:

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:20 am
Profile WWW
house smallwoody

I tried starting from the beginning, but the files are too big and my wifi is oft too slow. Files are typically 5x the size of my other shows, so I can't get them all right now.

And then my DL manager "cancels" the download if it takes too long...jerk blames it on the server.

Anyone know a way around that?

I love books. I'm a voluptuous reader.

This is not about revenge. This is about getting even.

The world's a dirty place Lacey. Things happen. Things you don't want to know about. Money changes hands; people look the other way; cats go missing.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
house stark

What download manager do you use? Can't you just bypass and download directly from the links?

Also, what platform are you on?

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:13 pm
house smallwoody

Quote:
What download manager do you use? Can't you just bypass and download directly from the links?

Also, what platform are you on?

Just use whatever Chrome uses on Windows. I've been able to stream it easily at times, but I prefer to put them on my phone and listen to it there. If I listen only on the computer, then I always multitask. I'm not good at doing that either.

Looks like I can download the early episodes quick enough, but from 50 on, direct from site (versus mega) it'll eventually dip down to 0.0 kb/s (my current internet is not comparable to what I had in America) and then cancel itself.

I remember a post somewhere about when rereads started. I thought it was this thread, but didn't see it on the topic review. I think it was 32...or mid-thirties? Anyone remember that info?

EDIT: It was in a post called "When did the chapter rereads begin?" and it is chapter 13. I shan't erase my shame.

The world's a dirty place Lacey. Things happen. Things you don't want to know about. Money changes hands; people look the other way; cats go missing.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:07 am
Profile WWW
house stark

Downloading direct from the site is definitely slower. I'm using Chrome as well, but I'm not having the problem about the speed dipping to zero and timing out. It seems to run at about 500 KB/s. Might just be a distance issue from where you are to where the site is hosted.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 am
house smallwoody

DLing from Dropbox went pretty quickly, actually. So I will start from the beginning soon enough and hopefully, by the time I reach 60, I'll be back in 'Merica, where my wifi is excellent.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Episode 1-50 now on skydrive. Not sure how fast or how much bandwidth we'll have there but trying it out
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/download-links/

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
house stark

There is no link for Episode 104 on the downloads page.

EDIT: Got it now, thanks Amin!

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]