View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Episode 131: The House of the Undying 
★wardens of the woody★

AlmostAManwoodyGrown wrote:
I don't think the betrayal for gold is actually going to be about acquiring money or wealth - I think gold in that sense is a red herring. My personal opinion is that the betrayal for gold refers to the Green Grace and Hizdahr controlling the Sons of the Harpy and manipulating Dany so that Hizdahr will take control of the city from her. The main reason is that Daenerys VII, the chapter in which they wed, has the very last sentence being:

"Four hours later, they emerged again as man and wife, bound together wrist and ankle with chains of yellow gold."

Personally, I'm sort of surprised that more people haven't argued for that interpretation online; the end of that chapter really jumped out at me.

As for the episode: I loved the suggestion that Missandei would be the betrayal for love (though I don't buy it for a second - I'm still betting on Jorah, who would go totally bonkers to find that Jon Snow not only replaced him as Jeor's surrogate son, but is also going to marry Dany in the future). And I'm suddenly pretty convinced that Jon Connington could be the the beast emerging from the stone - one things the hosts don't mention is that the prophecy actually doesn't say it's a dragon, just a "winged beast", and Connington IS a griffin... There would need to be an explanation for the "breathing shadow fire" part, but it's certainly interesting...

I don't know if I agree but the gold and I do think Missandei will be an accidnetal love betrayal, but the stone beast being Connington is interesting. That makes a lot of sense to me, and I'm not sure if I've ever heard thatparticular theory before

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

LordManderBlee wrote:
I don't know if I agree but the gold and I do think Missandei will be an accidnetal love betrayal,

Doesn't it lessen the impact of the betrayal if it is accidental? I figured the Sons of the Harpy would force Messandei to use her proximity to Dany against her as they might capture one of her brothers and use him a leverage. But I still think/hope that she would have to make a decision to do so, not just be played without her knowing it.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 am
★wardens of the woody★

claudiusthefool wrote:
LordManderBlee wrote:
I don't know if I agree but the gold and I do think Missandei will be an accidnetal love betrayal,

Doesn't it lessen the impact of the betrayal if it is accidental? I figured the Sons of the Harpy would force Messandei to use her proximity to Dany against her as they might capture one of her brothers and use him a leverage. But I still think/hope that she would have to make a decision to do so, not just be played without her knowing it.

By accidental I mean that for the love of Dany she will do something that Dany considers a betrayal, if that makes sense. Not that she'll just accidentally ruin something.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:51 am
Site Admin

And I'm suddenly pretty convinced that Jon Connington could be the the beast emerging from the stone - one things the hosts don't mention is that the prophecy actually doesn't say it's a dragon, just a "winged beast", and Connington IS a griffin... There would need to be an explanation for the "breathing shadow fire" part, but it's certainly interesting...

Quote:
Under the sea, the birds have scales for feathers

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 am
Profile WWW
team stannis

It's a stretch but I think/hope that breathing shadow fire is a reference to a Blackfyre army. Aegon and the Golden Company.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 am
house micro-woody lord

Wow, FTWard, that's perfect. "Shadow fire = Blackfyre." OK, I am now 100% convinced that the last prophecy is Connington. But what lie is she actually slaying? Aegon's lie about being a Targaryen seems like it would already be taken care of by defeating the cloth dragon (aka FAegon himself).

The theory I had been going by was that the last image was some monster summoned up by Melissandre.* In that case, Melissandre at least represents something distinct from Stannis, in that her whole religion might be revealed as a lie or something. So, the lies would be something like (1) Stannis is Azor Ahai (2) Aegon is a Targaryen (3) R'hllor is a good deity/Melissandre is faithful to R'hllor (or something like that)

The problem with Connington is that he doesn't really espouse anything distinct from "Aegon is the rightful king," so there's not really a separate third lie being represented. The only other thing I could think of is maybe after Aegon dies he gets caught up in some other anti-Dany movement, or fights for some ideal about Rhaegar that proves false. (humorous idea = maybe he gets really upset about Jon's legitimacy, declaring "Rhaegar would never marry that hussy Lyanna!" and Dany has to fight him on behalf of Jon's claim to the throne?)

*Or less likely, a wight dragon summoned up by the Others, in which case it would be the beliefs or ideology of the Others that she's slaying, but we have a lot less to go on for that idea...

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:53 pm
team stannis

Wow, FTWard, that's perfect.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3