View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Girls' Night Out V3 
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Comments, criticisms, smart remarks, testimonials? Discuss here.

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:21 pm
house yronwoody lord

freaking hilarious. well thought out discussions devolving into dick jokes and burning mattresses..

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:36 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

best episode.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 pm
Profile WWW

Love your Pikachu, mimi.

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 pm
★wardens of the woody★

I thought it was a great episode. It was just about perfect in regards to mixing up the crazy humor and the serious talk. Great, 4 lemon cakes. I would have gave it 5, but I ate one waiting for it to come out.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

I enjoyed it very much :-) I'm torn as to my favorite part, it's a perfect draw between everything you ladies said about reading and the achingly hilarious new meaning assigned to the words, "I want to see the little man fly!" (Add "Try not to laugh out loud on the subway while listening to APOIAF" to the list of Things People Do While Commuting in NYC.)

And thank you for bringing up my question of the "happy whore" trope, everyone made good points-- I hadn't thought of prevalence of brothels as being significant before, but it's definitely a good indication of how the prostitue population of Westeros has tried to order their lives. I think I would still argue that prostitution doesn't seem to me like an option of equal esteem to wife/mothering or finding other field or domestic work. I could just be projecting my modern sensibilities onto the word "whore", but there often still seems to be a distinctly negative connotation to the trade. The example that comes to mind is in ADWD, when Theon tells Jeyne Poole that her former identity is just a whore now, and it is better for her to be Arya Stark. Obviously there are exceptions, but to me it seems like women who choose and/or find it necessary to become sex workers in Westeros somehow lose whatever value and identity they may have had as women and become disposable. (I think I'm still just talking about Westeros...)

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm

inkasrain wrote:
I enjoyed it very much :-) I'm torn as to my favorite part, it's a perfect draw between everything you ladies said about reading and the achingly hilarious new meaning assigned to the words, "I want to see the little man fly!" (Add "Try not to laugh out loud on the subway while listening to APOIAF" to the list of Things People Do While Commuting in NYC.)

And thank you for bringing up my question of the "happy whore" trope, everyone made good points-- I hadn't thought of prevalence of brothels as being significant before, but it's definitely a good indication of how the prostitue population of Westeros has tried to order their lives. I think I would still argue that prostitution doesn't seem to me like an option of equal esteem to wife/mothering or finding other field or domestic work. I could just be projecting my modern sensibilities onto the word "whore", but there often still seems to be a distinctly negative connotation to the trade. The example that comes to mind is in ADWD, when Theon tells Jeyne Poole that her former identity is just a whore now, and it is better for her to be Arya Stark. Obviously there are exceptions, but to me it seems like women who choose and/or find it necessary to become sex workers in Westeros somehow lose whatever value and identity they may have had as women and become disposable. (I think I'm still just talking about Westeros...)

Yeah, I think prostitution really just seems to be an option for women from poverty or no other marketable skills (besides the courtesans from Braavos), especially since the merchant class (the people who own the businesses themselves) is quite equal-opportunity compared to the rest of Westeros - after all, the only real goal is profit. We don't get much information about the merchant class - only a comment from Littlefinger about how some families have more sense to marry merchants or calling Illyrio a cheesemonger - but I think it's safe to assume that as a female from a merchant family compatibility with a potential spouse would be more important than usual, since you'd likely be expected to run the business together. (Assuming that the potential spouse in question were from a merchant family as well - I have no doubt a merchant family would not care about this if it meant marrying into the landholding elite).

Last edited by gsdg on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 pm
house stark

i give it 4 sturdy manwooders. Now, go and burn your beds!

Fantasy Football: A Njoku Needs A Name

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:07 pm
house tyrell

I'm hazy about who said what, but liked the episode.

Knight of Hindflowers! Thanks for sharing, I think. And a big :shock: for the professor who shared that piece of terminology with his/her students.

Good to hear my two favourite characters (Dolores^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Dolorous Edd and Olenna) getting a mention, especially the idea of the QoT having additional uses for Left and Right.

Aaaand a small quibble. What was that offhand reference to Jane Austen? Was she meant as a run-of-the-mill example of peaceful romantic fiction? I'd argue that she's at least as atypical in that genre, as GRRM is in fantasy.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 am
mrs. sandor clegane

i made that comment when referring to the normalcy of cousins marrying and that the stigma is fairly new in society.b :geek:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 am
house tyrell

Ashley wrote:
i made that comment when referring to the normalcy of cousins marrying and that the stigma is fairly new in society.b :geek:

Thanks for clarifying! :)

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:08 pm
house smallwoody lord

Best episode ever.

Only you girls could go from who's the best lay to then discuss serious sociology problems. Hilarious yet informative as always. :)

Though I was dissappointed in how long it took for someone to say that Bronn would be good in bed, he'd get my vote. Also it is mentioned in the books that Jorah had a lot of chicks(I think I am becoming a Jorah Mormont stalker. Actually the whole Mormont clan is really awesome I'm realizing, as I am doing my first re read. Bear Island sounds sweet, I wanna live there, it seems a lot like Michigan to me), so I'd pick him too, besides I decided to gloss over how not attractive he was in the books my first read thru. As one of you girls said if we were going by the series, I'd be all over that. Iain Glen is delicious. I'm the opposite of Mimi, I perfer sexy old dudes. I like body hair on my guys. :)

Oh! and biggest wang? I think we already know that that would be Hodor, but that's also kinda disturbing given his mental capacities.

Wwho was the Lwaxana Troi fan? Had a hard time distinguishing you ladies. She is definitly one of the best ST characters ever created. So much fun!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:26 pm
podcast historian

still not finished with your great episodes m'ladies. i enjoy it very much. although i have to admit that i always mistake one of the new ladies with linda from westeros. their voices are quite similar. thats somehow strange ;)

and regarding the world-shaking question of big dicks, i would assume this order:
- thormund's giantsbane
- dunk's lunk
- hodor's hodor

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

[thing I forgot to mention previously] Holy crap Mimi, English is your third language? That is insanely impressive. Accordingly, I am insanely impressed. [/thing I forgot to mention previously]

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:20 pm
team stannis

brynden wrote:
still not finished with your great episodes m'ladies. i enjoy it very much. although i have to admit that i always mistake one of the new ladies with linda from westeros. their voices are quite similar. thats somehow strange ;)

and regarding the world-shaking question of big dicks, i would assume this order:
- thormund's giantsbane
- dunk's lunk
- hodor's hodor

no Ossifer's Plumm?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

inkasrain wrote:
[thing I forgot to mention previously] Holy crap Mimi, English is your third language? That is insanely impressive. Accordingly, I am insanely impressed. [/thing I forgot to mention previously]

d'aww, thanks! although my order of fluency is completely reversed, so not too impressive. thank god my family communicates in a weird amalgamation of the three.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
podcast historian

FTWard wrote:
brynden wrote:

- thormund's giantsbane
- dunk's lunk
- hodor's hodor

no Ossifer's Plumm?

oh no - i just took the one's with hard evidence from series or book (thormund-himself, dunk-comic, hodor-osha/series)

because if we play the "who has a nickname that sounds like a dick-name"-game my first candidates would be:
- the longinch
- dragonlance
- the sword of the morning

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:45 am
Profile WWW
☑ guest host ♘

Quote:
oh no - i just took the one's with hard evidence from series or book (thormund-himself, dunk-comic, hodor-osha/series)

because if we play the "who has a nickname that sounds like a dick-name"-game my first candidates would be:
- the longinch
- dragonlance
- the sword of the morning
[/quote]

oh my, yes, the sword of the morning!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:05 am
team stannis

brynden wrote:
FTWard wrote:
brynden wrote:

- thormund's giantsbane
- dunk's lunk
- hodor's hodor

no Ossifer's Plumm?

HARD evidence-
Quote:
"This old Plumm was a lord, though, must have been a famous fellow in his day, the talk of all the land. The thing was, begging your royal pardon, he had himself a cock six foot long.”
The three bells in Dany’s braid tinkled when she laughed. “You mean inches, I think.”
“Feet,” Brown Ben said firmly. “If it was inches, who’d want to talk about it, now? Your Grace.”

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 am
podcast historian

well played ser...

i have to take ossifer's plumm into account

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:45 am
Profile WWW
podcast doctor

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau addresses the possibility of full frontal nudity for jamie lannister, hilarity ensues(at the 3:08 mark):

http://youtu.be/aIms3Wpkb40

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:42 am
podcast doctor

mimi wrote:
inkasrain wrote:

d'aww, thanks! although my order of fluency is completely reversed, so not too impressive. thank god my family communicates in a weird amalgamation of the three.

mimi what are the 3 languages that you speak in order of decreasing fluency?

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:46 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

english, mandarin, mongolian.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 am
Profile WWW
house smallwoody lord

Great job, ladies! Really thoughtful conversation and you all made lots of interesting points. While I was listening, I had to stop myself from saying "wow, you're so right!" or "I never thought about it that way before" out loud.

I know I'm still little more than a lurker on this board, but I wanna co-host on the next GNO so bad! My copies of the books are full of sticky notes and I can bring the dick jokes like nobody's business.

Also, are you guys familiar with these excellent defenses of Cersei, Catelyn and Sansa? http://www.youtube.com/user/elsabette I hope she does more videos, especially for Dany.

--Diana Vreeland

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:46 am

No True Lady wrote:
Great job, ladies! Really thoughtful conversation and you all made lots of interesting points. While I was listening, I had to stop myself from saying "wow, you're so right!" or "I never thought about it that way before" out loud.

I know I'm still little more than a lurker on this board, but I wanna co-host on the next GNO so bad! My copies of the books are full of sticky notes and I can bring the dick jokes like nobody's business.

Also, are you guys familiar with these excellent defenses of Cersei, Catelyn and Sansa? http://www.youtube.com/user/elsabette I hope she does more videos, especially for Dany.

YES! Unfortunately, I am nowhere near as articulate as that!

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:08 pm
podcast historian

I just finished the whole episode and I have to say: I liked it a lot. You ladies have accomplished a good show with lots of in-depth discussion.
I'm just sorry that you didn't finished the biggest-dick-discussion.

I liked the aftershow.
"Amin the mistery-man of the podcast." / "Christina and Kyle-drama." / "Kyle as sex-proxy" / "Kyle indirectly destroying Mimi's date."

May I ask where you found the nice guest hosts - they seem to be new on the forums too.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:09 am
Profile WWW
☑ guest host ♘

brynden wrote:

May I ask where you found the nice guest hosts - they seem to be new on the forums too.

I responded to a call on FB, I think? I've been a forum lurker for a while, I actually didn't even sign up for the forums for a long time in an effort to curb my obsessive tendencies...but I suppose they are now UNLEASHED!

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:29 am
house manwoody lord

An enjoyable listen. A great mix of serious discussion and downright silliness.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:09 am
house manwoody knight

Great show. My jaw muscles hurt (from smiling)

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:25 pm

brynden wrote:

I saw the request for female hosts on Facebook and then emailed the podcast.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next