View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Episode 133: Valentine's Day In Westeros 
team blacksmith

Wonderful episode, guys! Really fun to listen to :)

True fact, I am mildly tormented by the question of whether or not I could date someone who is disdainful of ASOIAF. (And Harry Potter. Very difficult to date someone who mocks or dislikes Potter. It feels like a personal attack.)

Unfortunately, your partner liking the series is no guarantee of compatibility. What if they read ASOIAF totally differently than you do? What if they hate your favorite characters? What if you subscribe to different theories? What if you wind up standing alone in a New York Macy's, texting angrily with a guy you like in California who insists that Catelyn Stark is the worst and caused the War of the Five Kings?

You know, for example.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:26 pm
house stark

I can deal with people who just aren't as into ASOIAF as I am ( I don't need everyone to like everything I like) but active hate is different. That being said, I talked to someone the other day who is one of the few people I know who have read the books and they actually said they thought the TV show was better and I almost got angry. I think I have issues.

I think I judge people about their attitude to fictional female characters aka people who watch Breaking Bad who think Skyler is a bitch while Walter is awesome. Maybe that's unfair of me, but I can't help it.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:58 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

I think what's so awesome about these books (and a show like Breaking Bad) is how emotionally connected we are to the characters, how closely we relate to the story through their eyes. I have to admit, I did find Skylar irritating and passive-aggressive in season 2. It's interesting how Walter and the viewer are able to rationalize so many of his decisions. But watching it a second time, it becomes obvious how horrible he had treated Skylar, and how justified her anger was a lot of the time.

I think it's the same with Catelyn. I sympathize with her. I find her interesting. I understand why she did many of the things she did, and that they came from a place of love. But a lot of innocent people died because of her decision to kidnap Tyrion and free Jaime. I can understand why a reader would hate her. *ducks flying brick*

But again, that's the point. Everything is subjective in the game of thrones. Everything is filtered through family loyalty, and ambition, and cultural beliefs. Arguing over how you interpreted the series is what makes it so engaging.

Last edited by Valkyrist on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:00 am
Profile WWW
house stark

Everything is subjective and everyone has their own biases. I change my opinions all the time, and good works of art should make you think about the characters and how they change over time. At the beginning of Breaking Bad,
Spoiler: show
I was super sympathetic to Walter and I couldn't stand Skyler, Hank, or Marie and now my opinion has completely changed about all of those characters.
I fully admit I used to be a Sansa 'hater', but now she's one of my favourite characters, and while I'm still interested in Tyrion as a character, I'm not nearly as sympathetic to him as I used to be. I'm basically just a massive hypocrite LOL

Last edited by aryastark7330 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:31 am
for my freckles, your grace

I have skipped over this thread because I'm afraid there are Breaking Bad spoilers in it. Please place any spoilers in spoiler brackets. (If they do exist. I didn't dare read them.)

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:38 pm
★wardens of the woody★

No real spoilers Kyle. Just overall commentary on the show.

FTWard wrote:
+5 to nerd cred for Eiffel :geek: :D

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:12 pm
house stark

The stuff I said about BB was pretty broad but put it under a spoiler tag just to be safe - really sorry if I inadvertently spoiled anyone, even in general terms. But come on - finish Breaking Bad, how can you have anything else more important going on in your life?

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Valkyrist wrote:
Speaking of which, Nadine was awesome in episode 132, but we need more pictures of the VOK mascot - baby Rhaegar.

Thanx and I totally understand the whole star struck thing - being tag teamed by both Kyle (who was incredibly nice) and Amin (who just knows this shit inside and out but never makes you feel inferior) was both an awesome and terrifying experience.

oh and this:

Has now grown into this:

He's five months and still Lots(!!!) of growning to go!!!

Rhaegar: the incredible growing puppy or "chunky monkey" - depending on the day (originally knows as the puppy who was promised)

aryastark7330 wrote:
I fully admit I used to be a Sansa 'hater', but now she's one of my favourite characters, and while I'm still interested in Tyrion as a character, I'm not nearly as sympathetic to him as I used to be. I'm basically just a massive hypocrite LOL

I am still not a fan of Sansa but I'm less a hater and more an indifferent observer (it has deep seeded roots in rl, and it's far too complicated to explain here, if we meet I am happy to discuss but prepare to be bored silly)

and that's not hypocritical it's called being informed :p

Slàinte,
Nadine.

If you piss me off I may be forced to kill you... in my book.
https://www.demonality.org/

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
★wardens of the woody★

That's an adorable puppy :D

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:14 am
★wardens of the woody★

LordManderBlee wrote:
That's an adorable puppy :D

Thanx :)

Slàinte,
Nadine.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
house stark

That puppy is gorgeous!

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 am
★wardens of the woody★

aryastark7330 wrote:
That puppy is gorgeous!

Thank you guys!

We loved him from the first day we saw him and we've always known he would be a looker :)

Glad I could provide such a pretty mascot for House Manwoody

Slàinte,
Nadine.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
house micro-woody lord

Enjoyed the podcast guys; very interesting question on dating someone that actively hated or openly dismissed ASOIAF. I've gone both ways on this (phrasing...); I've shared the show with someone I've dated, which went fine, and in another relationship I've made a conscious decision to not push the books or the show.

After having power struggles claiming bands, bars, and venues post breakups, I've started moving away from trying to share too many interests too early on in relationships. Plus I'm not sure my current SO would be a very big fan of the show.

Sidenote: Not sure if this was mentioned, but I bet Stannis would be a big Westeros Valentines day fan.

Second sidenote: Duncan, what mic were you using? It sounded great, and I've been trying to solve some mic issues since the VoK star wars ep. Thanks, and great job!

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:09 am
★wardens of the woody★

I don't push stuff like this on people who don't like fantasy. And if asked, I'm truthful about my interests, but again, I don't like to drown friends or SO's with info about what a nerd I am :D But, if someone hated it and was unpleasant about it all the time I'd absolutely dump them, at the very least because it would be a hugely disrespectful thing to do.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Site Admin

TravisoTraviso wrote:

Sidenote: Not sure if this was mentioned, but I bet Stannis would be a big Westeros Valentines day fan.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

TravisoTraviso wrote:
Second sidenote: Duncan, what mic were you using? It sounded great, and I've been trying to solve some mic issues since the VoK star wars ep. Thanks, and great job!

Bizarrely, I still have the manual from when I bought it 3 years ago. It's a called the Logitech Stereo Headset H110. You can buy it on Amazon for like $8: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H4QPJQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003H4QPJQ&linkCode=as2&tag=apooficanfi-20

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

TravisoTraviso wrote:

Bizarrely, I still have the manual from when I bought it 3 years ago. It's a called the Logitech Stereo Headset H110. You can buy it on Amazon for like $8[/quote]

Nice. That is really cheap for good sound quality.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 am
Profile WWW
house blackwoody lord

Tis the season :D

Working my way through some of the old casts, found all the shipping and coupling very funny. Also that Sansa chapter is very fitting for the day, theres red everywhere and brooding over past lovers, and obvious sexual tension that leads to nothing! (that's Sansa and the Hound btw)

Honest eyes, and innocent. Blue as a sunlit sea. When you are a little older, many a man will drown in those eyes.

Fantasy Football Team: Brees???

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2