View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Podcast suggestions? 
☑ guest host ♘

Hey guys. My work during the summer involves me being chained to a table and drawing archaeological finds all day. I therefore have plenty of time to sit and listen to podcasts when I get bored of music. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for shows that you like. I like radio shows if the hosts are funny, shows where I might learn something, anything about history... but tell me what you like and why.

I do try to listen to some other podcasts about GOT (just to get a feel for what other people think), but I find the supposed "experts who have read the books" to display a more shocking lack of knowledge than here and it grates on my nerves (and also even more complaining about changes than Chase!). I tried to listen to the first episode of the Bjork (?) Brothers (the one that Mimi and Chase guest hosted for once) but I found their audio awful and couldn't listen because of the heavy breathing/lip smacking. Does it get better? And now I see other GOT podcasts advertised on ITunes that I haven't tried.

It doesn't have to be all GRRM, however. Even I need a break from that every now and then. :D

Sat May 21, 2011 6:29 am
house BOOX

Hi Christina :)

Have you seen this thread?
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42

I listen to PodCastle, which is a weekly audio fantasy short story podcast. There's also Escape Pod, which is sci-fi and PseudoPod for literary horror fans.

I've discovered some great authors on PodCastle (including Daniel Abraham who will be writing the text for the Game of Thrones comic book :mrgreen: )

the stories can range in length from 20 minutes to over an hour. And, there's a big backlog of episodes to go through :)

"though love has it's place in the sun, it's only man's fear that carries him on..." WEEN

Sat May 21, 2011 6:35 am
☑ guest host ♘

Ooo, cool! It didn't even occur to me that one can listen to podcasts like one can listen to audiobooks...

Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 am
house BOOX

the drabblecast is also cool, but i like it just a teeny bit less....it's alos short stories. these are not strictly one genre or another, but instead "strange stories by strange authors for strange listeners"

http://web.me.com/normsherman/Site/Podcast/Podcast.html

"though love has it's place in the sun, it's only man's fear that carries him on..." WEEN

Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 am
house bronn

I'm not a big podcast person, but I've got a pretty huge library of audiobooks, if you're interested in suggestions :)

Sat May 21, 2011 10:14 am
house bolton

Two of my favorites:

In Our Time with Melvin Bragg - weekly, hour long discussions of a single topic, ranging from philosophy, history, science, literature, etc. There's a different panel of mostly U.K. professors depending on the topic. Recent entries: the Volga Vikings, the Age of the Universe, the Medieval University, the Unicorn(!), Maimonides.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

WTF With Marc Maron - great interviews with comedians/comedy writers. Mostly about the craft, but discussion can get pretty heavy at times (amazing how many of these people are damaged). Lot of backlog, including Patton Oswalt, Louie C.K., Conan, as well as less well-known comic minds, like Dino Stamatopulos (Starburns from Community). Recent interviews with Jonathan Winters and Gallagher were fascinating (for different reasons).

http://www.wtfpod.com/

Of course, Ricky Gervais is must listen. I enjoyed Penn Jillette's show, too.

Sat May 21, 2011 10:51 am
house BOOX

Hey, Christina. If you haven't already listened to it the BBC's History of the World in 100 objects is a great podcast.

Most of the Slate podcasts are pretty good as well.

Sat May 21, 2011 5:19 pm
house clegane

This American Life and Radiolab are always interesting.

The Moth can be interesting at times as well... it's live story telling.

Sat May 21, 2011 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
☑ guest host ♘

JAZ - I have listened to those, and they are great! For those of you who haven't and like a little history/archaeology, I highly recommend them.

Sat May 21, 2011 6:39 pm
★wardens of the woody★

So, I disappeared down a rabbit hole from the forums for like six weeks and have to steadily climbing my way back in to the swing of things the past several weeks.

The 'hole' is disappeared down was this:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Sava ... dcast/Page

In which such topics are covered as:

An attractive man with a homely girlfriend wonders if he's missing out by leaving all the world's hotties on the table.

Heike Rodriguez, an educator who teaches women how to achieve female ejaculation, talks with Dan in the studio and makes him squirm in about a dozen ways.
Two words: vulva puppet.

A man is dating a gal who is perfect in every way except for one little problem. She is bat-shit, loony tunes crazy. Is the sex worth it?

A lost lesbian bemoans the fact that she is a butch dyke attracted to other butch dykes. Can she meet anyone like her? Maybe if she moved out of Tulsa, Oklahoma…

A woman begs Dan to decode her dark fantasies. And decode them, he does.

How to engineer the perfect fuck-buddy. She has him somewhat trained. But he won't buy his own condoms, and he won't switch and let her sub for a while. Can she perfect him?

A crazy bitch who goes out dancing on a second date with a guy she really likes ends up making out with a completely different guy on the dance floor, and then she worries about being perceived as a "crazy bitch."

Mike Huckabee? You're not going to like this show one bit.

I put my headphones down.....OVEREDUCATED!

"Don't read him as children do, for amusement, nor as the ambitious do, to be instructed. No, read him in order to live." - Flaubert

Sat May 21, 2011 6:51 pm
fantasy manwoody champion

The Film Pigs Podcast is good, if you like listening to three (possibly drunk) middle aged white guys complain about how not enough movies nowadays don't have enough gratuitous nudity and violence.

Extra Hot Great is a decent TV-and-movies podcast if you don't mind it being kinda hipster and maaaybe a little pretentious.

Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 pm
house blackwoody lord

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - It's the GRRM version of gistory: bloody, horrifying, and true to human nature

Double Feature podcast - they take two different movies and analyze them better than any movie review podcast out there. And I listen to a lot of the other ones.

History According to Bob - Pure history, every day a different installment of several ongoing series. Professor Bob is amazing

Uhh Yeah Dude - best comedy podcast ever. Just a podcast about life in America by two American Americans.

Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 pm
house BOOX

Dan, that's an excellent suggestion. I can't believe I didn't mention that first. I'm a huge fan of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. It was the first podcast I ever downloaded. The way he looks at the past in a personal way and not as a timeline of things that happened to other people a long time ago just makes the stories come alive. Really, really good podcast.

Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 pm
☑ guest host ♘

Poe to the Pulps:
Ha! Dan Savage is my hero! If I can ever find a boyfriend, I would like to think that we would have a healthy sex life thanks to Dan Savage. :lol:

Sun May 22, 2011 3:57 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Christina wrote:
Poe to the Pulps:
Ha! Dan Savage is my hero! If I can ever find a boyfriend, I would like to think that we would have a healthy sex life thanks to Dan Savage. :lol:

8-) Good, Giving, & Game 8-)*

I can only listen to SavageLove with headphones, and people in public places keep looking at me funny when I burst out laughing in the middle of Starbucks or the line at Wal-mart....

if they only knew....

"Don't read him as children do, for amusement, nor as the ambitious do, to be instructed. No, read him in order to live." - Flaubert

Sun May 22, 2011 5:34 pm
house baratheon

what about a live Usteam show where we can chat along side you while you record.

i listened to that new Beyond the wall show and it was cool being able to chat along side while they podcasted

Wed May 25, 2011 6:18 pm
manwoody sweater

I like Talking shit with Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft. They can be very funny at times. Well, mostly Jim Jefferies. I also listen to The Joe Rogan Experience when I want to mix things up. He has a Comedian guest every week and it can be interesting.

"Gods and dogs alike delight to piss on me." ~ Eddison Tullett

Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 pm
house micro-woody lord

So the only podcast I listen to with any sort of semi-regularity is Never Not Funny, just comedians bs-ing. Its Jimmy Pardo, who does the warm-up for Conan, his produce Matt, and a guest. Guests have including heavy hitters like Jon Hamm and Conan, and Jimmy's standup friends like Pat Francis and Dave Holmes. Another little favorite is After Hours from Cracked.com, more of a 'minicast' than a full-blown hourish podcast. It's basically the peak of nerd convo from a 4 hour late night diner session(and is pretty much how it's filmed/portrayed).

ASoI&F group @ Goodreads

Fri May 27, 2011 2:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
house smallwoody

God, I listen to too many podcasts.

My favorites are:
-Galactic Watercooler, an all-purpose nerd/geek podcast that started out as a Battlestar Galactica podcast and evolved once the show ended and is a neverending source of positivity and happiness to counterbalance the bitterness of APoIaF.
-Sick and Wrong, where the bitterness and schadenfreude comes out tenfold.
-The Tolkien Professor. which helped me get through The Silmarillion.
-The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, one of my favorite sources for science news.
-The History of Rome, working its way from the founding to the fall of Rome.
-12 Byzantine Rulers, which is finished but was a great look at the Byzantine Empire.
-and the aforementioned Hardcore History. The "Ghost of the Ostfront" arc was phenomenal.

Tue May 31, 2011 10:03 pm
house bolton

StevieBlue wrote:
-The History of Rome, working its way from the founding to the fall of Rome.

Bookmarked, thanks! I listened to the Byzantine Rulers a couple years ago, but somehow missed this one.

Tue May 31, 2011 10:24 pm
house blackwoody lord paramount

I would just like to say, I went to itunes... searched "Awesome history.." and my results were an entire page of iPad and iPhone apps regarding Bible verses. I don't get it...

Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 pm
house baratheon

just how they tag it i bet and hits back, because i bet those would have more hits than something awesome caesar did

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:44 pm
house smallwoody

http://www.flicklives.com/Mass_Back/

Podcast of taped Jean Shepard radio shows from the 1960s. If you don't know Jean Shepard, he is hard to describe. He may be the most influential radio broadcaster of the last fifty years. Jerry Seinfeld says he got his entire comic sensibility from Jean Shepard. He's probably best known now for the film A Christmas Story.

For podcasters and monologists of various kinds: If you listen to Shepard and read Joyce, you will never run out of material.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]