View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
SD Comic Con 2014 / SD meet up / LA Meet up 
Site Admin

Mimi and I are recently confirmed for attending SD Comic Con, joining Kyle in the confirmed list. Tara from Ice and Fire Con will be there as well, that's our current attendees from our listeners. Let us know if you are attending or live in SD - we're planning to have a dinner out sometime while we are there when we can meet any listeners that are attending or live in the area.

--Edit

So I'll be in LA after the night of Sunday July 27th, leaving Wednesday July 30th afternoon. I could do a podcast meetup at that time if there is enough interest. I would think Kyle would also be available if the timing worked out. Let us know.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
☑ guest host ♘

As excited as I am for Ice & Fire Con, SDCC is going to be a whoooole different animal. Yay!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

Yes, absolutely!

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Site Admin

Well we have a hotel room booked, thanks to Tara's help! :)

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
house greyjoy

Amin wrote:

Good to hear. I committed our extra bed at the Marriott Marina literally the day before you put out the call.

Any idea on where/when? My advice would be to do it either Wed or Thursday Night. Once you hit Friday there are far to many demands on people's time and available venues (I'm already double booked on Friday myself and Saturday has the masquerade and CBLDF auction plus a slew of invitation only industry parties)

This is my 18th straight year going so I'm happy to help in any way and provide whatever advice you deem helpful.

-Ray

Wed May 14, 2014 5:53 pm
Site Admin

Ironborn206 wrote:
Amin wrote:

Good to hear. I committed our extra bed at the Marriott Marina literally the day before you put out the call.

Any idea on where/when? My advice would be to do it either Wed or Thursday Night. Once you hit Friday there are far to many demands on people's time and available venues (I'm already double booked on Friday myself and Saturday has the masquerade and CBLDF auction plus a slew of invitation only industry parties)

This is my 18th straight year going so I'm happy to help in any way and provide whatever advice you deem helpful.

-Ray

I was thinking wednesday night dinner or late night hangout - we'll be checking in to pick up passes but the press night will probably be too to spend the full time there anyway.

Wed May 14, 2014 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

I would be interested in the LA meetup if you guys plan to make that happen. I actually move out before it but I'll plan my trip to wrap things up to coincide with the meetup.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 am
house greyjoy

Amin wrote:
Ironborn206 wrote:
Amin wrote:

-Ray

I was thinking wednesday night dinner or late night hangout - we'll be checking in to pick up passes but the press night will probably be too to spend the full time there anyway.

While they tell you 3:00 for the badges most year's I get it by 1:00. Preview night will be going till 9:00 so a late night get together would work.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:57 pm
house micro-woody☹

Would love to meet up with you guys one of the nights you are in SD!

Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 am
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hey, it looks like george will be at sdcc. the fundraiser for the wolf sanctuary lists breakfast with george as a top-tier donation reward, and it suggests that he'll be there:

Quote:
A rare opportunity to have breakfast with George at either San Diego Comicon, the World SF Convention in London, or during his visit to NYC in October. You can bring a friend too! You'll also receive all the above rewards, with the exception of "extra rewards".

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:53 am
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

Wednesday night is probably cool for me. Preview Night is definitely worth checking out, though - it's really cool to get a handle on the floor, and sometimes they give away signing tickets early and things like that.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:04 am
Site Admin

Ok looks like meetup later in the night is the better option for everyone, sometime shortly after 9pm then?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

amin let's swap flight itineraries~

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 am
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

Any thoughts on a meeting place? I know there are bars and restaurants aplenty in the Gaslamp, but I have no real knowledge of the specifics.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 pm
house micro-woody☹

What kind of venue are you all looking for? I live in SD and, granted I hate going downtown, I might be able to recommend something whether I go or not. Also I may be a local but Comic Con is a whole different thing so what's a good place normally might be a bad place during the long night of Comic Con.

How many people normally show up for these kinds of thingies?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:47 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

arseface wrote:
What kind of venue are you all looking for? I live in SD and, granted I hate going downtown, I might be able to recommend something whether I go or not. Also I may be a local but Comic Con is a whole different thing so what's a good place normally might be a bad place during the long night of Comic Con.

How many people normally show up for these kinds of thingies?

Uh wuh I cuh muh uh to Cumucuhn. Mubuh nu yuh.

*I wish I could make it to Comicon. Maybe next year.

(I couldn't help myself with a little Preacher/Arseface humor. I hope Comicon is a blast for everyone. Maybe we can organize a House Manwoody contingent for New York Comicon in October.)

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 pm
team blacksmith

It's looking very unlikely that I'll manage to make it to the Game of Thrones panel (have to be in Ballroom 20 before and after) but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! Can I assume that's a Friday centerpiece for most here?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:00 pm
Site Admin

List for wednesday night meeting so far (after preview night):

Amin
Mimi
Kyle?
Inkasrain
Ironborn206?
areseface?
clairewood?

Confirmed can't make it
Tara

Prefer something walkable from the convention, after preview night ends.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Schedule is out for a few days, anything of particular interest for wednesday? I might not make it there until half way through preview night, so I'll just be browsing around after I pickup my pass

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/programming-schedule

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

I will say it's better to get to badge collection earlier, rather than later. Even for press, the lines become SHEER MADNESS, as do the lines to get onto the floor and into Ballroom 20 for the previews. Also, they *sometimes* give away tickets to signings on Preview Night at relevant booths, so it's worth checking out if that's an interest point.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:18 pm
Site Admin

Looks like not too much going on Sunday, I may be open to catching lunch or an early dinner that day with anyone still around before my ~6pm train.

In LA until July 30th, so perhaps can organize a meetup during that time in LA.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
team blacksmith

If no one knows of an eatery (as I totally don't) we can convene at the Game of Thrones pop-up shop (sorry, Mimi) which will be at Market St. and 8th Ave and see where things go from there.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:20 pm
Site Admin

Think we should finalize the wednesday night meetup details

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

My photo policy: I must remain conservative with my online presence or risk harming my
employment. If you want a photo with me, that's fine, but any photo that has me in it cannot be released online anywhere before I look over it first, and might not be released regardless. Thanks for respecting my wishes.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 pm
Profile WWW

Amin wrote:
My photo policy: I must remain conservative with my online presence or risk harming my
employment. If you want a photo with me, that's fine, but any photo that has me in it cannot be released online anywhere before I look over it first, and might not be released regardless. Thanks for respecting my wishes.

I'm tempted to ask what your job is, but with a statement like that it sounds like one of those "if I told you, I'd have to kill you" type of deals. :P

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:49 pm
for my freckles, your grace

It's looking like the San Diego Marriott Marquis bar will be the spot. It's right next to the convention center. What time is good for people? Preview night ends at 8 I believe. So 8:30 or 9? hmmmmm?

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

yup, tequila bar & grille at the marriott marquis at 8:30

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
for my freckles, your grace

Alright Marriot Marquis Tequila (really?) bar next to the convention center at 8:30pm. I don't know how long we'll be there, but swing by and say hi. Can't wait to see so many Manwoodys walking around...

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

we're here!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm
Profile WWW

I'll have a shot o tequila in y'all's honor! Cheers :D

claudiusthefool wrote:
Goddsmut!

Shellfish wrote: