View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Episode 152: The Rogue Prince 
brotherhood without banners

Oh god, I think the Targaryens are to me what the Elves are to people reading Lord of the Rings: just dicks I don't wanna read about so stop pushing them on me, George...other than that, great episode guys :lol: . Daemon is definitely Griffith from Berserk, the silverhaired douche.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Very cool. Your novella reviews are consistently some of my favorite episodes.

Mimi's notes were very funny and well written. Her dismissive attitude towards Kyle was also very amusing, especially luring and entrapping him to revealing his shocking lack of knowledge.

As for the novella itself, I think Mimi's "Did not see any hero shit from him. At all." sums it up nicely.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:36 am
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

I'm pretty sure I shared this on the forum before, around the time TP&tQ came out, but it's relevant to this episode as well.

Targaryen Family Tree

I found the original on Reddit, and cleaned it up a bit and made it spoiler safe for family who were watching the series, which is why it still has Joff being alive and no mention of R+L=J that the original had on it. TRP does fill in details and change some of the relationships surrounding Daemon, but I just haven't found the time to get to updating it. Even still, it's a great reference piece for general use.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Glad to hear you guys agree with the VoK BlackCast about Daemon, ie., he is the absolute worst :D

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:54 am
house tinywoody lord

I like the comparison to JRRT's fascination with all things elven. GRRM does at time fall into the "I was your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate" hole.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:56 am
★wardens of the woody★

Also it's fantastic having a full host episode of course :D Mimi's encyclopedic knowledge of Targ shit is always a pleasure

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:53 pm
brotherhood without banners

fred wrote:
I like the comparison to JRRT's fascination with all things elven. GRRM does at time fall into the "I was your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate" hole.

Spaceballs is awesome.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:14 pm
house baratheon

The account on the Dance in TWOIAF is meant to be less detailed but will cover the whole war. "Fire & Blood", which is due out after A Dream of Spring, will have an even more detailed account of the Dance and its Prelude (The Rogue Prince + The Princess and the Queen + The Final Six Months * More Details = :D ).

I never liked the Targaryens until these histories started to be released. I'm just as excited for TWOIAF than Winds at this stage!

I LOL'd quite a lot during this ep. Great to see you guys together for the big releases.

Weirwood-Net Character Tracker - Watchlist for Winter Survey Results

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:21 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Great to have the four together again, of course.

I actually enjoyed the Rogue Prince more than the Princess and the Queeen because there was more playing with the details of history, as far as Mushroom says this (it's about his penis) and this about Daemon, whereas Septon Eustaces says this. The Princess and the Queen, being a more straight account, was less fun and had less personality, I think.

In hindsight, it does seem like Daemon was just a wrecking ball bouncing across the Seven Kingdoms. Based on the previous story, I was a little more positive toward him, probably because he went out like a boss, taking Aemon One Eye and old Vhagar with him. And, that's still true, but this points out just how much of a destructive force he was and pretty much establishes the Dance doesn't happen without him constantly stirring everything.

Mushroom just seems like a great Martin character, who could support his own Dunk and Egg-style series of novellas, peaking through keyholes and hearing everything, while making a bunch of shit up. (The princess totally blew me, bros! Like, lots of times.)

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:17 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

Great episode and as was said above it was fun to listen to the whole crew again.

I love how Kyle combines all the relevant Targaryen women into "Rhaenerys." She sounds like one badass mother.

Also when Ashley said she was looking forward to more history than TWOW my first reaction was with Kyle & Amin, but when I think about it I really do love getting the history and backstory. And I agree with Mimi that it took some getting used to the style of writing by the Maesters in comparison to GRRM's style.

Hopefully we will continue to get both. I've stopped reading spoiler chapters as a personal preference, but I'm definitely looking forward to TWOIAF to get more of these kind of stories.

I really want to know more about the Velaryons. They were such a big deal...and then they weren't.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

Gah, I couldn't believe it when Ashley and Mimi said they were more into these historical accounts than the series proper. I mean, yes, the stories are potentially fascinating events with lots of court intrigue, but they are delivered in the dullest, driest, most banal form possible. It's like reading the War of the Five Kings as a Wikipedia article, wrung of all that Martin prose and dialogue. Even at its meandering worst, ADWD still had characters whose lives and deaths we actually cared about.

That said, being the addict I am, I'll lap up every morsel of these tomes and beg for more. ;)

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:32 am
Profile WWW
house smallwoody

That part where Laenor Velaryon gets stabbed was hilarious; oh those faggots, keeping me in stitches all the time!

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:05 pm
house payne

SkagoSuperUnicorn wrote:
That part where Laenor Velaryon gets stabbed was hilarious; oh those faggots, keeping me in stitches all the time!

If I were not such a thorough reader of these forums, and thereby didn't remember from some other thread that you yourself identify as a gay man, then I would find this an even more crude comment than I currently do. It seems like you probably have more to say on the subject, but you plainly chose to go for the far more curt and incendiary option. I'm not really sure what type of response, if any, you're hoping to elicit here, but I can't help but feel that you could frame your criticism or commentary in a format that is vastly more conducive to discussion. By all means, post what you want to post, but I just find this sort of comment hard to interact with.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:33 pm
house stark

reads like sarcasm to me...

Fantasy Football: A Njoku Needs A Name

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]