View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Episode 154: The Darkling Pain 
brotherhood without banners

Really short episode guys :lol: ....not enough Ramsay discussion, I mean we finally meet the big bad wolf of the story and we're not even gonna mention the awesome Bram Stoker's Dracula armour that looks like a flayed guy?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Go go gadget Kindle text search!

Aside from Asha's almost constant use of the word, Jaime calls Kevan 'nuncle' in AFFC. Edwin Frey also uses it later. Tyrion uses the word in a thought in ADWD.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:57 pm
Site Admin

Beric175 wrote:
we're not even gonna mention the awesome Bram Stoker's Dracula armour that looks like a flayed guy?

Circled that in my notes, but I wasn't exactly there for the second half of the episode :D

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
mrs. sandor clegane

damn i was feeling especially bitter while recording this one.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 am
house stark

mrkorb wrote:

Aside from Asha's almost constant use of the word, Jaime calls Kevan 'nuncle' in AFFC. Edwin Frey also uses it later. Tyrion uses the word in a thought in ADWD.

Maybe 'nuncle' is an ACT II thing for George? Like new chapter titles. And expansive world building. :roll:

Fantasy Football: A Njoku Needs A Name

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:59 am
Site Admin

Valyrian Neil wrote:
mrkorb wrote:

Maybe 'nuncle' is an ACT II thing for George? Like new chapter titles. And expansive world building. :roll:

Of Neeps and Nuncles

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 am
Profile WWW
team stannis

Amin wrote:

Of Neeps and Nuncles

ASoIaF: Book VIII

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am
★wardens of the woody★

So great to hear Amberrocks and Claudiusthefool on the show! But shame it was so short: hope they both get invited back soon!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 am
mrs. sandor clegane

Bina007 wrote:
So great to hear Amberrocks and Claudiusthefool on the show! But shame it was so short: hope they both get invited back soon!

I agree! I feel really bad about all the technical difficulties we had, it didn't feel like a proper episode.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

I was happy to be asked to join. It was kind of unreal. I had to keep reminding myself I was on the recording and not just listening.

I'm also glad that I started Nunclegate. Let's see where this ends.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am
★wardens of the woody★

FTWard wrote:
Amin wrote:

Of Neeps and Nuncles

ASoIaF: Book VIII

And nipples on a breastplate.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:46 am
★wardens of the woody★

So much Theon hate nourishes me. Yes.

Regarding Bran's assassination attempt on the show, they lay the blame at Jaime's feet all the way back in Season 1.

I want Ashley to wrap up every episode.

Also, "How do you make them move!? Is this a Canadian thing?" :lol:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 am
team stannis

Shellfish wrote:
I want Ashley to wrap up every episode.

Dot, dot, dot?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:43 pm
house stark

This Theon hate is giving me life. Fuck Theon.

Also kudos to Ashley for pointing out that Tyrion treats Shae like crap.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:36 pm
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Ashley wrote:
Bina007 wrote:

I agree! I feel really bad about all the technical difficulties we had, it didn't feel like a proper episode.

But we still get in the damn club, right? ;)

Ya, I was bummed to hear no Kyle or (gasp) Mimi, but it was still a completely surreal and magical event! I would love to be invited back anytime, and regardless I officially volunteer to be the Chapter Recap Bitch, if you ever feel you need one :mrgreen:

Shellfish wrote:

I want Ashley to wrap up every episode. SO ADORABLE!

Also, "How do you make them move!? Is this a Canadian thing?" :lol:

Holy shit, I think I said that! Shellfish, I have SOOOOOO far to go to repay you for all the :lol: you've given me, I am so not worthy!

Alright, I'll try to come down from my Fangirl Freakout, but you guys are making it really difficult <3

claudiusthefool wrote:
Goddsmut!

Shellfish wrote:
This pleases me.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:12 pm
★wardens of the woody★

I enjoyed this despite the audio cut outs on Amin. Dude I totally agree with Claudius I made a post that Amin shut down, after listening for so long, it felt like getting yelled at by dad and I felt like such a dumbass. Now much more careful about stuff I post on the forums and use the spoiler feature even if I'm not sure. I was just greatfull I wasn't just booted, thanks Amin! Amber your fan girl excitement is warranted, I would've been posting on the forum while podcasting and then yelled at for typing while podcasting ;)

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:40 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Great episode (despite techinical difficulties.) I was thinking about Ramsay's plans and ehre's what I think he was thinking. He shows up, wipes out the northern leaders (successfully), takes Theon hostage, then just waits for Dad to come home. If Robb stays in charge, he's damaged his 'allies' (always a Bolton goal) and it'll be his word against the word of common soldiers. He can just claim that they were assisting Theon or they were bandits or whatever the fuck he wants. It might not work, but he's not that practical. If Robb loses then they're in an even better position. My assumption is that Roose trained Ramsay to be wild and a risk taker on purpose. Anything goes horribly wrong, he disavows him, hangs any man who helped him, and no one can punish Roose. He's like Vargo Hoat for Tywin, a perfect monster.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 am

LordManderBlee wrote:
He's like Vargo Hoat for Tywin, a perfect monster.

That's definitely an apt comparison. And they're both connected to Roose. He just attracts the best people to him.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am
★wardens of the woody★

claudiusthefool wrote:
LordManderBlee wrote:
He's like Vargo Hoat for Tywin, a perfect monster.

That's definitely an apt comparison. And they're both connected to Roose. He just attracts the best people to him.

Clearly the man has a gift.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 am
team stannis

Ramsay would know at least that Roose has married a Frey at this point.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:26 am
★wardens of the woody★

I'm in the middle of listening, but it occurs to me that Roose could have ordered whoever was Castellan at the Dreadfort to do this and Ramsay just showed up and took over the lead of it, also. He's sitting at Harrenhal intriguing with the Freys, he could have launched this plan. With ravens and somewhat unclear timelines that's possible.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Quote:

I was sure Arianne used 'nuncle' at one point...but it isn't just something Martin made up, it was a common term in the 16th Century (I think I googled it 2 years ago), also seen in King Lear by Shakespeare (also googled).

Well done Amber and Greg, you did well at guesting. It is sad we couldn't get you on the VOK Pillars of the Earth, Greg. You would have been a great addition.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Dagos_Rivers wrote:
Quote:

I was sure Arianne used 'nuncle' at one point...but it isn't just something Martin made up, it was a common term in the 16th Century (I think I googled it 2 years ago), also seen in King Lear by Shakespeare (also googled).

Well done Amber and Greg, you did well at guesting. It is sad we couldn't get you on the VOK Pillars of the Earth, Greg. You would have been a great addition.

I never thought "nuncle" was something that GRRM made up, it was just strange that sometimes he uses it and sometimes he doesn't.

Thanks Glen, I wish I could have made the Pillars VOK too. But I'd definitely be up for another Follett book (maybe one of his shorter ones). But I enjoyed listening to it.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:22 am

Just for the people out there that thought he may have made it up (Like I did) but I do agree that it is strange that it suddenly appears as a term in the 4th book (or it seems that way - I do think it was used by Theon in A Clash of Kings too).

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:24 am
house tinywoody lord

I'd say a pretty big theme with GRRM is people thinking they are treating someone well when the reality is the other person feels poorly treated or humiliated by the first person's treatment.

ad k la ime all ve sorry my connection sucks *shakes fist at Skype which was actually better when it was free* :lol:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]