View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Episode 157: Guys Night in III 
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

Great episode. Nice to see APOIAF and The History of Westeros come together like that.

I didn't realize the Westerlings were plotting with Tywin that early in ASOS.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:03 pm
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Another entertaining and informative show guys, and good guest too! Seems odd that it's only Guys Night 3, as most of GoT season 4 was the Amin and Kyle Show :)

I haven't been paying too much attention to what WOIAF will entail, but super excited after hearing about it!

claudiusthefool wrote:
Goddsmut!

Shellfish wrote:
This pleases me.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:38 pm
house manwoody mongoballer

Random aside, speaking as some one who's lived in Wales for several years (and in a welsh first speaking county at that) Welsh is definitely coming back rather than dying in Wales :-)

I regularly went into pubs where I wasn't able to order in English!!

Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Also I'm super let down that the pages on Summerhall will have ink spilled over it. That is just cruel. I just wanna freaking know what went down!

Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:45 pm
for my freckles, your grace

Brum Riverlander wrote:
Random aside, speaking as some one who's lived in Wales for several years (and in a welsh first speaking county at that) Welsh is definitely coming back rather than dying in Wales :-)

I regularly went into pubs where I wasn't able to order in English!!

Woohoo! Go Welsh!

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Kyle wrote:
Woohoo! Go Welsh!

i do love them too... except on six nations day when they play England!!

The loudest sound I've ever been present for was made by the Welsh in Welsh, it was actualle Awesome in the true sense of the word to be in this crowd (even if I was on the other side)...

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:46 am
★wardens of the woody★

Yeah the Welsh own rugby. And the Tudors. And dragons. And elvish. They're pretty badass.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:55 am
house yronwoody

Brum Riverlander wrote:

The loudest sound I've ever been present for was made by the Welsh in Welsh, it was actualle Awesome in the true sense of the word to be in this crowd (even if I was on the other side)...

I've always wanted to be in that stadium during the 6 Nations, and the flames and everything. :3

National anthems are my weakness. I still get all patriotic when it's not my country. Then I get to 'my' unofficials like Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory or I Vow to Thee my Country or Waltzing Matilda and it gets messy.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:05 am

Imogen.OB wrote:
Brum Riverlander wrote:

I've always wanted to be in that stadium during the 6 Nations, and the flames and everything. :3

National anthems are my weakness. I still get all patriotic when it's not my country. Then I get to 'my' unofficials like Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory or I Vow to Thee my Country or Waltzing Matilda and it gets messy.

When they close the roof the anthems are so loud it's ridiculous, especially against England and Ireland. I'm English but this is the best rugby stadium in the world and I've been a dozen times in the last 7 or 8 years!

Anyway I seem to have taken this threat well off topic, I'll start a rugby union thread before the Autumn internationals!

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:15 am
house yronwoody

Okay, just got to the Welsh bit in the podcast and this made me laugh "dd is pronounced 'th'!!!" Honey, that's not even the tip of the iceberg, Welsh is a terrifying, beautiful language. My favourite is ambiwlans: ambulance. It's like they had to take the English word, but they hate us so much they refused to spell it right.

My Welsh step-father likened it to someone with a lisp trying to talk from the front of their mouth whilst it's filled with marbles. If the spit isn't flying, you're doing it wrong.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:55 am
house tinywoody lord

Brum Riverlander wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Woohoo! Go Welsh!

I nearly broke my set the day we beat those evil English types, so awesome :D

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:48 am
★wardens of the woody★

Quote:
I didn't realize the Westerlings were plotting with Tywin that early in ASOS.

I think that falls under something that's not made clear, so many interpretations are valid as to exactly when and how they were contacting Tywin. I don't think we can take Sybil's statements in Feast completely at face value because she's trying to wheedle stuff out of Jaime there, plus she knows Tywin's dead and not around to refute her version of events.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:58 pm

That's true. I still feel that the Westerlings have a large part to play. And I don't mean the fact that Jeyne may or may not be pregnant. Part of me feels that Ser Raynald will still turn up, maybe with the Blackfish at some point. I don't think they are all as loyal to Tommen as Sybil claims them to be.

It might just be wishful thinking, but I can see them making amends for their inadvertently causing the downfall of the Starks.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:46 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Sorry, Claudius, I think they're gonna meet Lady Stoneheart offscreen at some point and we'll just hear that they've been wiped out. That's my prediction, anyway.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:43 pm
☁ podcast art manager ☁

Did someone claim Australia's anthem was waltzing Matilda??a song about a homeless man that steals a sheep and gets shot by police? Our national anthem???!? Wtf come say it to my face, where our land is girt by sea and abounds in natures gifts. Advance Australia Fair!!!!!

Sorry what were we talking about? I got a patriotic haze all of a sudden.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:19 am
house yronwoody

jesicka309 wrote:
Did someone claim Australia's anthem was waltzing Matilda??a song about a homeless man that steals a sheep and gets shot by police? Our national anthem???!? Wtf come say it to my face, where our land is girt by sea and abounds in natures gifts. Advance Australia Fair!!!!!

Sorry what were we talking about? I got a patriotic haze all of a sudden.

Quote:
I get to 'my' unofficials like ... or Waltzing Matilda

...That was me. For the record, I'm Australian. I was calling it the "Unofficial National Anthem", I know Advance Australian Fair is the official one. However you're literally the first Australian I've met who likes that song. Everyone else is all "It was chosen by a committee, no one actually likes it","It's dull" or "These lyrics are dumb" (That last one is my father.)

I actually like Advance Australia Fair and when I told my Australian father that he said that since I was British (I'm half and half) and "God Save the Queen" is terrible, of course I would appreciate AAF. I've brought the subject up a couple of times with other Australians, and they all just kind of rolled their eyes and were like "Yeah, but we're stuck with it now." And that they identify more with traditional Australian folk songs, songs written by Australians and the like. Hence Waltzing Matilda.

Sorry if I offended your patriotism.

(For those interested, my father doesn't like God Save the Queen as, unsurprisingly since he's Australian, he's not a monarchist. So "why should the anthem be just about the Queen?" is his POV.)

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:49 am

"Come out of the house with your hands in the air. We have you girt!"

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:02 am
Profile WWW

Haha. I was just gonna say something about Wil Anderson's bit about "Girt" in the Australian National Anthem, but you beat me to it!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:45 am
house yronwoody

I never realised girt was a word, I just thought it was an Aussie way of saying "guarded", like gur'd. As in "Our island is guarded by the sea."

I preferred it my way.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:56 am
★wardens of the woody★

The world's national anthem should be the Pogue's version of "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda," that's all I know about anything.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:31 am

Imogen.OB wrote:
I never realised girt was a word,

I'm pretty sure "girt" is used in the Silmarillion when the world is being created. I checked my copy and surprisingly that is not one of the thousand things I underlined in chapter 1. But I'm pretty sure it is there.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:36 am
house baratheon

Imogen.OB wrote:
(For those interested, my father doesn't like God Save the Queen as, unsurprisingly since he's Australian, he's not a monarchist. So "why should the anthem be just about the Queen?" is his POV.)

Hopefully this won't offend anyone else's patriotism, but I didn't think anyone liked God Save the Queen. I'm not especially anti the current monarchy, but the song is an anachronistic dirge, and it's not really appropriate that an anthem for the whole UK contains a line about cheerfully crushing the Scottish. I like Jerusalem and I Vow to Thee My Country as English anthems, and we should probably just give up and adopt Rule Britannia for the whole UK or something.

claudiusthefool wrote:
Imogen.OB wrote:
I never realised girt was a word,

I'm pretty sure "girt" is used in the Silmarillion when the world is being created. I checked my copy and surprisingly that is not one of the thousand things I underlined in chapter 1. But I'm pretty sure it is there.

Then girt him Beowulf in martial mail, nor mourned for his life. :ugeek:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

No complaints about Kyle's potato reference? :ugeek:

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
house baratheon

Just putting this here:

Sat May 23, 2015 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Ian Rheon singing in Welsh reminds me of Liam Gallagher singing in English, for some reason.

Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]