View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Episode 159: Prima Facie 
brotherhood without banners

witless chum wrote:
ETA: I suddenly realizing how great it would be to photoshop Ashley, Mimi, Kyle and Amin onto the face of the goatlord there and put the podcast sigil over the pentagram.

yeah, and he's so popular that he seems to get all the ladies in Berserk, too:

Ironically, this makes me think about another criticism I have of the book: most of the Targaryens look like Griffith in my mind and that's not a character I wanna constantly be reminded of. That probably cost the book a whole LC in my rating.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:52 pm
★wardens of the woody★

I did not know what bezerk was until I just googled it.

Got to listen to the episode when I was driving long distance this weekend. It was as much fun to hear as everyone said. Mimi hatin' and everyone getting excited was just fun.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:25 pm
house micro-woody lord

Mordion wrote:
Yeah, I really liked that too, Amin was giving Greg a run for fast talking at one point.

I know, Amin had espresso in his veins for this one.

But it's always awesome to have the full crew. I'll be interested to hear the more in-depth podcasts about the content of each section.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:12 pm
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

Mordion wrote:
Yeah, I really liked that too, Amin was giving Greg a run for fast talking at one point.

I missed this. Was this in reference to me? I actually keep a post-it on my screen that says "SLOW DOWN" when we're recording, but I didn't know I was the fast-talker.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:24 pm
★wardens of the woody★

claudiusthefool wrote:
Mordion wrote:

I missed this. Was this in reference to me? I actually keep a post-it on my screen that says "SLOW DOWN" when we're recording, but I didn't know I was the fast-talker.

Yeah, I mostly made the joke because I know you perceive yourself as talking too fast sometimes, though some of the Silmarillion into stuff can be pretty speedy. :) Certainly no offense meant.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:43 pm
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

No worries. Better a fast-talker than a close-talker:

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:11 pm
brotherhood without banners

Wheres my Great Goat Head????

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:53 am
house baratheon

Re Summerhall, I get the real reason GRRM wasn't going to tell us exactly what happened, but it did seem weird to me it's treated like such a mystery because it happened within living memory of the older people in Westeros, so surely it's not just one maester whose manuscript got ruined who knew what went down.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:04 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Gytrash wrote:
Re Summerhall, I get the real reason GRRM wasn't going to tell us exactly what happened, but it did seem weird to me it's treated like such a mystery because it happened within living memory of the older people in Westeros, so surely it's not just one maester whose manuscript got ruined who knew what went down.

Maybe the (sort of retconnish) idea is that Egg was secretive about his secret egg program and most of those in the know were there with the turkey fryer turned over and died. Given that previous attempts to hatch dragon eggs had been failures and farces, it might make sense for PR to keep it quiet until you had some success to announce to the realm. Or if Egg believed the maesters were sabotaging the dragons or that his lords might want to make sure he didn't get those dragons he wanted to truly curtail their power, secrecy might make sense, also.

It seems odd, but you can explain it without too many storytelling gymnastics, I think.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:33 am
house baratheon

witless chum wrote:
Gytrash wrote:

Maybe the (sort of retconnish) idea is that Egg was secretive about his secret egg program and most of those in the know were there with the turkey fryer turned over and died. Given that previous attempts to hatch dragon eggs had been failures and farces, it might make sense for PR to keep it quiet until you had some success to announce to the realm. Or if Egg believed the maesters were sabotaging the dragons or that his lords might want to make sure he didn't get those dragons he wanted to truly curtail their power, secrecy might make sense, also.

It seems odd, but you can explain it without too many storytelling gymnastics, I think.

Well, yeah, but then what was Archmaester Gyldayn's source and why didn't anyone else have access to that? It just seems weird that with one inkspill, it's been lost forever when this is really recent history that lots of people alive would remember happening. And I never got the impression from the novels that what happened at Summerhall is a big mystery in-universe, just that the readers aren't allowed to be privy to it. Like the way GRRM withholds the information from the readers is by having characters talk about Summerhall like everyone knows what happened, to such an extent no explanation is necessary (like Alester Florent being all "Did we learn nothing from Summerhall?") And we get more information from characters in the novels than TWOIAF gives us, so it seems like there is information out there.

IDK, it's just a tiny point, but it seemed weird to me and a bit contrived.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:05 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Quote:
Well, yeah, but then what was Archmaester Gyldayn's source and why didn't anyone else have access to that? It just seems weird that with one inkspill, it's been lost forever when this is really recent history that lots of people alive would remember happening. And I never got the impression from the novels that what happened at Summerhall is a big mystery in-universe, just that the readers aren't allowed to be privy to it. Like the way GRRM withholds the information from the readers is by having characters talk about Summerhall like everyone knows what happened, to such an extent no explanation is necessary (like Alester Florent being all "Did we learn nothing from Summerhall?") And we get more information from characters in the novels than TWOIAF gives us, so it seems like there is information out there.

Gyldayne might have been there himself, given that he's apparently a contemporary of Egg. My impression was that everyone knows what we've been told: that they tried to hatch dragons and almost everyone died, but not the details of what happened or especially why it all went wrong or what magical forces were involved. But maybe you remember the various references better than I do? The Florent one you quoted fits my interpretation fine.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 am
house manwoody mongoballer

i thought it was generally accepted throughout westeros that dunk burned summerhall down with his cornballer

Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:15 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

josephus wrote:
i thought it was generally accepted throughout westeros that dunk burned summerhall down with his cornballer

lolol

Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
house micro-woody lord

josephus wrote:

:lol: there is always coin in the hot pie stand

(I hope u made a reference on arrested development cuz i sure did)

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2