View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Episode 60 
house micro-woody☹

After listening to the last episode I am worried that Larry's enthusiasm for the show is waning. He seems to be more depressed than most people I know about Ned's and other deaths and not happy about the possibilities that uncertainty brings. Are more of the readers/watchers angry and depressed about this, or exited about where a story like this can go now?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 am
house blackwoody lord paramount

He's got a year to recharge. Plus the battles and shit that goes down in COK is pretty exciting, and in a much different way (for the most part) from what happened in GOT.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 am
★wardens of the woody★

The only thing that makes me cringe a bit listening to some of the stuff Larry is saying revolves around him not investing in the characters or perhaps even the story itself anymore.

Why watch then? For hits? That would be pretty unfortunate. Watched some of his other stuff on his youtube and they are pretty good and emailed him once to ask if he was going to do some more classic anime reviews (studio Ghibli/Akira/Ninja Scroll/Ghost in the Machine) and he said he was. Rather he stick with that then feel obligated to watch GoT because alot of people want him, too.

Sounds like a job. :?

Likes the guy and hopes he doesn't keep talking about not investing....makes me skeptical about him being a fan, which was the reason so many people watched him, to experience that fan feeling again for the first time.

"Don't read him as children do, for amusement, nor as the ambitious do, to be instructed. No, read him in order to live." - Flaubert

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:57 pm
house manwoody lord

He likes Jon. Maybe we should let him in on the fact that Jon's survived (thus far - ADWD pending).

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 pm
house bolton

I didn't download episode 60 because I'm not really interested at all in what Larry has to say (I realize I'm probably in the great minority here). I don't know a ton of people who are new to the series, but the few I do are enjoying it, and while surprised, none of them are in over-the-top hysterics about it. I don't really think he's representative of any majority, though I know the majority would probably make for a really boring youtube video.

I'm kinda missing the old 'classic' crew just riffing on rereads.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:28 pm
★wardens of the woody★

I'm with you Qarl, (at least somewhat, I did listen to ep 60) as a novelty I thought Larry was funny, but it's not something I'd watch on a regular basis, and I always find myself frustrated with spoiler-free episodes.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Qarl Qarlson wrote:

Ah..No worries Qarl, I think we are looking down a long road of re-reads. They already started up CoK....

I see where your coming from Qarl. ;)

"Don't read him as children do, for amusement, nor as the ambitious do, to be instructed. No, read him in order to live." - Flaubert

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 pm
house bolton

By the way, I have enjoyed hearing all the other guests, especially all the forum posters. And I enjoyed Larry's initial appearance. Just a little too much lately.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:53 pm
★wardens of the woody★

No worries, we knew what you meant.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Qarl Qarlson wrote:
I didn't download episode 60 because I'm not really interested at all in what Larry has to say (I realize I'm probably in the great minority here). I don't know a ton of people who are new to the series, but the few I do are enjoying it, and while surprised, none of them are in over-the-top hysterics about it. I don't really think he's representative of any majority, though I know the majority would probably make for a really boring youtube video.

aw, i think you're missing out! wes, our other guest for the episode, was really fantastic.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

mimi wrote:
aw, i think you're missing out! wes, our other guest for the episode, was really fantastic.

It is known.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Poe to the Pulps wrote:
mimi wrote:

It is known.

I agree. Wes was a good foil for Larry's crass, reactionary style. I was thinking though that Larry's bitterness is a good parallel for our own..

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:45 pm
★wardens of the woody★

pjstwo wrote:
I agree. Wes was a good foil for Larry's crass, reactionary style. I was thinking though that Larry's bitterness is a good parallel for our own..

Not mine....that retard Ned deserved to die. :twisted:

I thought the whole thing Wes said about the special effects with the dragons was surprising insightful....

Pjstwo...when people start dying again, they need to get you on to give medical know-how.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Poe to the Pulps wrote:
Pjstwo...when people start dying again, they need to get you on to give medical know-how.

Hah I can't wait to see what new ways George cooks up in DWD.

But unless there's some actual specific debate, or someone specifically asks for my opinion, I'm gonna try not to volunteer it. As a rule, watching any TV medical drama with any sort of medical knowledge is pretty much a joke.. I expect it's the same with any specific field.

But yeah, feel free to ask away.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:08 pm
house tinywoody lord

regarding Larry: I enjoy his youtube videos a bit especially for the newbie perspective, but dont enjoy him as a guest on the podcast, for a couple of reasons. First I think he's too crass...every other word is goddammit and fuck...not that the regular crew isnt vulgar, but they're much more articulate about it. the other thing that i dislike about larry on the show is his unwillingness to truly participate in what you are asking of him....to get involved and talk about how the tragedy affects him and what he thinks will come of it. I think his philosophy about not getting attached totally misses the whole point of ASOIAF. He passed on lots of questions when the idea was to get the newbie perspective on certain details. I think it would be very interesting to interview him again after he's read GOT. I'm not against Larry, I just think he needs to smarten up his contributions to the dialogue.

Wes was awesome! Dropping the knowledge!! special effects and otherwise.

Regarding medical stuff, pjstwo, dont you think you could have debrided Drogo's wound and saved him?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
house micro-woody☹

Qarl Qarlson wrote:
I didn't download episode 60 because I'm not really interested at all in what Larry has to say (I realize I'm probably in the great minority here).

I had never heard of Larry before he guested on episode 52, and I found it pretty boring at first, what with all the tip toeing around spoilers and such. But he really grew on me, and ep 59 had me in hysterics. I really hope Larry keeps watching, especially if the second season follows the second book in momentum and intensity.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:24 pm

theyrenotdolls wrote:
Regarding medical stuff, pjstwo, dont you think you could have debrided Drogo's wound and saved him?

Nice terminology drop. As soon as he got it, sure. You alcohol the shit out of it (boiling wine apparently in Martin's universe). But once that thing is infected, you can only hope his immune response is sufficient. Debriding (surgical removal of infected tissue - think Qyburn on Jaime's wrist) once he's septicemic (bacteria in blood) is gonna remove the source of his bacteria (wound), but won't get it out of his system. Fool needed some heavy antibiotics.

There's a reason people died so early in the Middle Ages. No sanitation --> high infection rate. No medicine --> no treatment of infection.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:28 pm
house tinywoody lord

oh..forgot to mention....
no mimi, you were not the only one trying to see thru pycelle's shirt...i dunno why...but it's like HBO wanted us to try!

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
house manwoody lord

I'm sad to admit that I tried to look as well. I was trying so hard not to but my eyes got the better of me.

Quote:
But unless there's some actual specific debate, or someone specifically asks for my opinion, I'm gonna try not to volunteer it. As a rule, watching any TV medical drama with any sort of medical knowledge is pretty much a joke.. I expect it's the same with any specific field.

That is very true. It is hard for me to watch any crime dramas because they screw up anything having to do with their technology.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:47 pm
★wardens of the woody★

theyrenotdolls wrote:
First I think he's too crass...every other word is goddammit and fuck...not that the regular crew isnt vulgar, but they're much more articulate about it.

I cut him alot of slack with that, actually, for few reasons:

1. You said it yourself, 'the regular crew.' Everyone knows each other very well among the podcasters, so their banter is pretty effortless, and it's naturally intimidating. When I did my guest spot, I found myself repeating stock phrases, not because I have a low vocabulary, but just from being slightly on edge, not from anything that Mimi, Amin, or Christina said or did, but for the fact that I was the odd man out. Plus, it's unfair to put anyone up against Mimi in terms of witty vulgarity.

2. I do not mean to be condescending to Larry, but he's a young guy that suddenly has been put in the lime light, especially having a certain style/demeanor from his reviews, so maybe he thinks people expect some of that, or it's an any easy crutch for him.

3. The podcasts are edited, MOSTLY, for clarity....lots of talking over each other....so who knows, maybe other stuff he said got garbled up in the verbal cross fire that happens.

theyrenotdolls wrote:
the other thing that i dislike about larry on the show is his unwillingness to truly participate in what you are asking of him....to get involved and talk about how the tragedy affects him and what he thinks will come of it.

I didn't really pick up on that, will have to re-listen at work, to see if he was unwilling, with one exception. He's talking to people who know what is going to happen, so even I would hesitate to offer up my own theories, plus he said something that makes alot of sense, the story has been too confounding to even offer up theories, since anything can happen.

The one thing that was frustrating was when Kyle (challenged) him on the idea of not investing in the characters and Larry didn't rise up to that, since that is the main thing I keep thinking about from what Larry's said on the podcast, post-Ned. I mean....fucking c'mon...FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. :roll:

theyrenotdolls wrote:
He passed on lots of questions when the idea was to get the newbie perspective on certain details.

His youtube videos are pretty much 30-40 minutes of just that.

theyrenotdolls wrote:
I'm not against Larry, I just think he needs to smarten up his contributions to the dialogue.

Gosh, I think he's 'contributions' to GoT fandom have been pretty stellar. But in terms of the pure podcast dialogue, I enjoyed being able to listen to him and hearing him on the podcast for a few reasons:

1. He's a huge part of the GoT fandom now and it always makes me smile to see leaders/opinion makers of the fandom come onto the podcast.
2. He brings new listeners to the podcast and is always giving shutouts to the podcast in his vids and facebook.
3. He does symbolize now the newb reaction to Ned's death...which is something that MANY readers got over YEARS ago.

Knows you were talking about his contributions to the podcast episodes he was in, specifically, but can't help but take note of the contributions he's given the fandom overall and that spill over onto the podcast as a result of it.

Likes Larry and hopes he keeps it real....fuck that bullshit about not investing in characters....Brienne is coming.

Disclaimer: Not picking on you theyrenotdolls, just used your post to put out my ideas, which sometimes differ and sometimes sync with yours.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 pm
house tinywoody lord

Poe to the Pulps wrote:
theyrenotdolls wrote:
Likes Larry and hopes he keeps it real....fuck that bullshit about not investing in characters....Brienne is coming.

I certainly agree with that!!
maybe I was too hard on the guy. like I said, i like his youtube stuff...not sure if he adds to the podcast.
I think that his reaction to pull away from the series when tragedy strikes was the complete opposite of mine...when i read GOT for the first time, i thought: man...this is awesome...the gloves are off...who's gonna get fucked up next?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah. He kinda left his emotions at the youtube channel, and since he didn't really answer questions very well, didn't add what we were all expecting to the podcast. but he was an interesting guest for sure.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:58 pm
★wardens of the woody★

pjstwo wrote:
Yeah. He kinda left his emotions at the youtube channel, and since he didn't really answer questions very well, didn't add what we were all expecting to the podcast. but he was an interesting guest for sure.

Yeah...he basically blew his load on his youtube video.

Speaking of answering questions, most epic answer to a question in the podcast is Alex, from Tower of the Hand, answering the question about origins of Tower of the Hand with an Oral History par excellence of over 9 minutes....non-stop....un-interrupted.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Poe to the Pulps wrote:
Speaking of answering questions, most epic answer to a question in the podcast is Alex, from Tower of the Hand, answering the question about origins of Tower of the Hand with an Oral History par excellence of over 9 minutes....non-stop....un-interrupted.

That guy was awesome to listen to.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 pm
♕(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Poe to the Pulps wrote:
You said it yourself, 'the regular crew.' Everyone knows each other very well among the podcasters, so their banter is pretty effortless, and it's naturally intimidating. When I did my guest spot, I found myself repeating stock phrases, not because I have a low vocabulary, but just from being slightly on edge, not from anything that Mimi, Amin, or Christina said or did, but for the fact that I was the odd man out. Plus, it's unfair to put anyone up against Mimi in terms of witty vulgarity.

don't sell yourself short! i thought you were fantastic, had really intelligent points to contribute, and seemed very natural.

i know it probably feels awkward, given the rough spots and technical difficulties we always experience, but i love having guest hosts for this reason: despite the fact that we are strangers, the moment ASOIAF discussion happens, it's like a magical connection.

or as my girl dani BOOX pointed out during pictionary once, listening to the podcast for so many episodes feels almost like knowing the hosts for years. so y'all can just jump in and make fun of my pedophilia, like everyone does. :cry:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:09 am
Profile WWW
fantasy manwoody champion

I dig the spoiler-free episodes and Larry's contribution. HOWEVER, I miss all the constant talk back to future books and Manwoody references and whatnot. With that in mind, I'd try to keep those types of episodes limited. I feel like the listeners who've come to love all the in-jokes and what-have-you maybe came to miss it a bit after two episodes in a row where it was at least toned down, if not completely eliminated.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 am
☑ guest host ♘

Larry is one of those new viewers that I was really hoping the series would attract. After I heard that HBO was making the series I was really anxious to see people get really into the love/hate aspect of the series. I also thought him talking about being totally desensitized to it was hilarious, cause that's totally how I felt after Ned died, I was just bitter and pissed and couldn't care about anything for a little while.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:37 am
house smallfolk

Love Larry, but I miss the spoilers and crazy theories.

And on a side note at the start of Episode 60 everyone was going on about Joffery was unaware of his incestry (incestuous ancestry). I have to agree with Larry, he knew. The same way Tywin knew about it.
In that they know but deny it as it ruins the chance of Lannisters being the ruling house. Hence he tries to kill Bran. Kills Ned, and overreacts when he receives Stannis' letter and tries to subdue the rumour of kings landing.

Joffery may be a psychopath but I wouldn't call him completely stupid.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 am
fantasy manwoody champion

Cresdee wrote:
Love Larry, but I miss the spoilers and crazy theories.

And on a side note at the start of Episode 60 everyone was going on about Joffery was unaware of his incestry (incestuous ancestry). I have to agree with Larry, he knew. The same way Tywin knew about it.
In that they know but deny it as it ruins the chance of Lannisters being the ruling house. Hence he tries to kill Bran. Kills Ned, and overreacts when he receives Stannis' letter and tries to subdue the rumour of kings landing.

Joffery may be a psychopath but I wouldn't call him completely stupid.

I, personally, would call him completely dumb. I think it's possible Joff knew or at least suspected, but I think Joff denies it for more personal reasons. He doesn't *want* it to be true, for more reasons than just maintaining power.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:53 am
house smallfolk

MaesterKevin wrote:
I, personally, would call him completely dumb.

Hmm I looked up all the things I thought could prove Joffrey had plans and forethought, alas I was wrong :oops: . It seems everything he did was either because he was being duped or due to insanity, no sign of higher intelligence in that blonde.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next