View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Episode 165: Valentine's Day in Essos 
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

I really gotta chime in about the last segment where you guys were talking about Wordstar and all that stuff. Wordstar was my first word processor, and I still have a fully functional working copy of it. For the curious, some of the files have timestamps from 1986. Anyways, if you try to run it on a modern system, it will spit out some errors at you since I think it relies on DOS functions that are depreciated, but if you install the DOSBox emulator, it works just fine, so I'd bet that GRRM is not actually using computer hardware from the late 80s. Sorry, no, but I will not share my copy of Wordstar, since, believe it or not, it is still registered software and I like my Dropbox account not being shut down for warez trading. :P But you can look this screenshot I typed out, and make believe that you are George.

Additionally, there does exist a Wordstar import filter for MS Word, which is kind of hard to find, but it's on a Microsoft FTP server somewhere as well as this handy Dropbox link of mine if you want to check that out (also contains filters for the old Windows Write (.wri), MS Word for DOS, RTF-DCA, and Lotus Ami-Pro 3.x (.sam)). So again, your fantasies of reams of dot-matrix printouts with those nifty strips of holed paper being shipped from New Mexico to editors around the world have been squashed. He can just e-mail the thing to them like a normal person.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:29 am
★wardens of the woody★

Yup totally cracked up on a bus packed with people. Great podcast and great to hear Ashley again!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:57 pm
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

When I was doing my re-read one thing I noticed from Dany's chapter was that she said that she's "crossed the Narrow Sea" half a hundred times. Is this true? As far as we know she's only crossed it once, right? Unless that just means her journeys on the Narrow Sea between the Free Cities.

Also, Jon's chapter had one of my favorite Mance Rayder quotes, " I have a great fondness for the charms of women...which makes me no different from three-quarters of the Watch.” One Quarter Fabulous Night's Watch.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:26 pm
house smallfolk

Good solid episode, well done. :D

I signed up for dropbox under your link so hopefully that helps.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:08 am
mrs. sandor clegane

claudiusthefool wrote:
When I was doing my re-read one thing I noticed from Dany's chapter was that she said that she's "crossed the Narrow Sea" half a hundred times. Is this true? As far as we know she's only crossed it once, right? Unless that just means her journeys on the Narrow Sea between the Free Cities.

Also, Jon's chapter had one of my favorite Mance Rayder quotes, " I have a great fondness for the charms of women...which makes me no different from three-quarters of the Watch.” One Quarter Fabulous Night's Watch.

you know that makes me think, maybe there was a good chunk of gay people there by choice as a way to avoid marriage?

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:11 am
★wardens of the woody★

Ashley wrote:
claudiusthefool wrote:

you know that makes me think, maybe there was a good chunk of gay people there by choice as a way to avoid marriage?

So were the guys praying doing it the way Renly and Loras prayed together?

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:14 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Septon Cellador seemed like a pretty go with the flow kind of guy.

Fantasy Football Team: The Gay Abandon

Last edited by Alias on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:34 pm

After listening to a recent episode of the Dollop in which many gay men in America joined the Navy to get laid (Newport Navy Sex ScandalI won't hesitate to see Castle Black as a refuge for people in similar situations in Westeros. Although for some reason I think the Night's Watch would be more welcoming than the American military in 1917.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:59 pm
clerk at the supreme court of westeros

I'm really surprised that Jon doesn't have brief thoughts along the lines of, "everyone knew ranger x and ranger y shared a bed together in the silent tower, though no one talked of it", Jon Snow really does know nothing!

Also that dollop podcast was some of the most bizarre, funny shit I've listened to, I lost it reading some of the uh, diligent notes taken :lol:
Spoiler: show
Fred Hoage and "Ruth" (John Gianelloni), who were both praised for their oral skills, much like their friend Jay "Beckie" Goldstein, who had, everyone agreed, "a nice chin to rest a pair of balls on."

The level of denial undertaken by some of these investigators, particularly the chief investigator Arnold, is fascinating.

"Remember who you are, Daenerys...The dragons know. Do you?"
Quaithe

Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:55 am

Yeah, that was insane. It also makes me re-think the Village People's "In the Navy" as more of a documentary song than wishful thinking.

Those transcripts were insane, but I think my favorite line was Gary's, "They're making more gay people!"

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:39 am
house manwoody lord

Brown Ben Plumm's ancestor, the one with the 6 foot whang who impregnated his wife while dead and buried. I think he beats Tormund, even before the bear bite.

Which reminds me, it was great to hear Ashley back on the podcast! :)

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
brotherhood without banners

Ramsey/Reek shipping is even worse than Stansan to be honest.

Also, I guess Roose and Walda are a happy married couple so far. Roose even seems to like her.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:07 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Isn't the Tywin/ Roose/ Walda letter writing theory that Tywin was writing letters to Walda disguised as Roose to endear her to Roose to further ensure the betrayel of the Frey's?

I think this has more plausibility than the disregard that Amin gave it and would have liked more discussion about the theory.

FTWard wrote:
+5 to nerd cred for Eiffel :geek: :D

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 pm
Site Admin

Eiffel wrote:
Isn't the Tywin/ Roose/ Walda letter writing theory that Tywin was writing letters to Walda disguised as Roose to endear her to Roose to further ensure the betrayel of the Frey's?

I think this has more plausibility than the disregard that Amin gave it and would have liked more discussion about the theory.

This doesn't make much sense 1) There were far better reasons for the betrayal than Walda warming up to Roose 2) Tywin probably wouldn't think of such an idea 3) Tywin wouldn't do that himself anyway, at best an underling would be doing it, but unless it was Kevin, who else would be trusted to do so?

It is quite possible Roose and Tywin were communicating indirectly through Walda. Tywin was communicating somehow with both the Boltons and Freys, and they were communicating with each other, so the Walda letters are relevant, even though Tywin may or may not have known that Walda was willingly or unwittingly being used as a messenger.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
brotherhood without banners

Amin wrote:
Tywin wouldn't do that himself anyway, at best an underling would be doing it, but unless it was Kevin, who else would be trusted to do so?

We need to talk about Kevin.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]