View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Boiled Leather / Supreme Court of Westeros 
Site Admin

The gentlemen over from Boiled Leather will be crossing over sometime soon in honour of the 100th week of the Supreme Court of Westeros. Taking your theory and other questions here in preparation for that episode. Extra points for questions following up to the discussion in Episode 98.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

We have collected some questions already but not many from apoiaf listeners so this is your late chance to get some questions in by friday

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:32 am
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Are you doing White Raven's dragon panspermia theory? It's a good one that is thoroughly supported by VOK.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:53 am
Site Admin

Varley wrote:
Are you doing White Raven's dragon panspermia theory? It's a good one that is thoroughly supported by VOK.

Maybe if it is posted here.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

Well, you never answered where do wild boars go in episode 98?

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:48 pm
clerk at the supreme court of westeros

If not too late, What was Doran's long term plan for Myrcella, assuming that the Lannisters get demolished in the upcoming war and/or that the Incest allegations get proven?

"Remember who you are, Daenerys...The dragons know. Do you?"
Quaithe

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:46 pm
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

This comes from our re-read series that we just started.

I think that Ned gets a bad rap as to how "naive" and "too-trusting" he is. I think that he is almost as savvy as the players, he just has less patience for it. It doesn't mean he has no idea what's going on. But early on we see how he correctly questions his own motives (particularly with trusting Littlefinger) and pushes forward anyway.

I just feel that Ned was going down in KL no matter what he did, but he didn't bring most of it on himself like a lot of people say.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 am
★wardens of the woody★

claudiusthefool wrote:
This comes from our re-read series that we just started.

I think that Ned gets a bad rap as to how "naive" and "too-trusting" he is. I think that he is almost as savvy as the players, he just has less patience for it. It doesn't mean he has no idea what's going on. But early on we see how he correctly questions his own motives (particularly with trusting Littlefinger) and pushes forward anyway.

I just feel that Ned was going down in KL no matter what he did, but he didn't bring most of it on himself like a lot of people say.

Yeah, what he said! Some people have these sort of narrative Dunning Krueger Effect happening in their discussions of a lot of things in A Song of Ice and Fire where the characters make quote unquote mistakes. It bothers me because it seems like missing one of the artistic points Martin is making by telling his story this way, where you've got a lot people making decisions for what they think are good reasons or muddling through or whatever. It grows out the portrayal of all the characters as human and 'heroes in their own story' so it seems wrong to react by heaping scorn on Ned's political performance, which seems to me to grow directly out his character's traits of being a generally decent guy for a high lord.

Here's a theory question I'd like to see addressed by the august body:
My theory is that Littlefinger's preservation of the Vale of Arryn from the War of the Five Kings and what appears to be upcoming devastation when winter comes to the areas that have been denuded of food by said war is going to be essential in the survival and victor of humanity against the Others. I like to add the perhaps fanciful portion that Littlefinger survives the series and prospers and remembered at Petyr the Wise because his efforts prove to be humanities salvation. He dies an old, powerful man, maybe as Hand to the King or Queen of Westeros. Am I right? And if I'm not, shouldn't George change his mind and do it this way because it's so damn great?

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:59 am
★wardens of the woody★

Khal Wadege wrote:
If not too late, What was Doran's long term plan for Myrcella, assuming that the Lannisters get demolished in the upcoming war and/or that the Incest allegations get proven?

I always thought that Myrcella is dead and they have that girl that impersonated her on the ship to talk to Swann. Two thoughts first Doran at the water gardens says something about the children all looking the same whether poor or high born. And later they say Myrcella will tell their version what happened, which doesn't make a lot of sense when she could just tell the truth. Amirite?

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 am
house smallwoody lord

For awhile now I have theorized that The 3 betrayals that Dani will know are going to come from her, not the other way around. I think that the Miri Maz Duur betrayal is the first one, but I think the betrayal is her betrayal over her baby with the blood sacrifice. Im not sure what else they would be, but I never have really thought af Miri Maz Duur betraying her simply because shes not a big enough person in Dani's life. What did she owe Dani. I dont think Ben is a deep enough betrayal. I can see Jorah as the Gold betrayal but I also never really thought Jorah betrayed her. Nope I think by the end of the books shes going to be the one to commit the betrayals. I also am toying around with the idea of them being connected. For example,

a fire for life, a mount to bed, and a treason for blood.
a fire for death, a mount to dread, and a treason for gold
a fire to love, a mount to love, and a treason for love

So far I think the first one make sense. The fire, mount, and treason can be connected. Fire for the life of the dragons, the mount either being her Silver or Drogo or even referring to both. the treason is her treason over her unnborn child, or even the treason of her unborn child, drogo, and Silver for the lifes of the Dragons.

I think it might be possible that the next set will be fire for death(maybe burning the shit out of Mereen) a mount to dread(obviously, Drogon) a treason for gold(maybe with the dothraki army they will plunder all the gold and statues. not quite sure about this but i think the betrayal will be Dani's betrayal of the City as a whole)

the Fire mount and treason to love I would assume would be in the final book, and more then likely something to do with Jon or her Dragons.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:23 pm
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

I finally got around to listening to this. Thanks for reading my question (and to Stefan for correcting my lack of a question mark in my question)...

Nice to know everyone didn't think Ned was a complete Rube.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]