View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Ice and Fire Convention 2016 
Site Admin

Thread for planning for the convention.

[ List of confirmed attendees to be edited in here ]

Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:58 am
Profile WWW
team stannis

witless chum wrote:
I don't love driving and I hate airports, so I might consider a leisurely train.

I mayhaps have a romanticized notion of what train travel is like ...

but I am intrigued by Amtraking.

Looks like Hinton has car rental. Welcome to the 20th Century WV.

http://www.andrewautorental.com/

Let me know if you (and anyone else) are interested in sharing a car from there.

Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:43 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Reposting my question here.

How fast do these tickets sell out?

I would like to go but cannot commit to something a year away for a variety of reasons. Should I buy a ticket now and hope to sell it if I cannot go?

Or should I wait until I know I can go and hope that there are still tickets available?

FTWard wrote:
+5 to nerd cred for Eiffel :geek: :D

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:28 pm
team stannis

Eiffel wrote:

I would like to go but cannot commit to something a year away for a variety of reasons. Should I buy a ticket now and hope to sell it if I cannot go?

Or should I wait until I know I can go and hope that there are still tickets available?

Not sure anyone can answer how fast this year.
Might want to email Tara.

Personally I'd wait till I was relatively certain before I bought a ticket.

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:40 pm
★wardens of the woody★

FTWard wrote:
witless chum wrote:
I don't love driving and I hate airports, so I might consider a leisurely train.

I mayhaps have a romanticized notion of what train travel is like ...

but I am intrigued by Amtraking.

Looks like Hinton has car rental. Welcome to the 20th Century WV.

http://www.andrewautorental.com/

Let me know if you (and anyone else) are interested in sharing a car from there.

If I end up training, definitely. There's only one train to Hinton, so we could be assured all the attendees who were Amtraking would arrive at the same time on Friday afternoon. Or we beg and cajol someone who's driving in early to come pick us up.

My experience with long-distance train travel was pretty good, but I was the kid who loved trains so I've retained some residual affection. And I read Murder on the Orient Express before I went, too. It was just in general a nice, relaxed way to travel at least for me, but I'm perhaps easily amused by scenery.

Things you might not like but might not immediately think of:
Whistling-They do it a lot. Personally, I think cars should just look both ways especially in the middle of the night in darkest Arkansas. But it can make it hard to sleep if you haven't gotten used to it.
The bathrooms-They're a step up from airplanes, but not a leap. I'm not real squeamish, but they're a little gross.
The upper bunk-I was bugged by the upper bunk in their staterooms, because I felt too claustrophobic being shut away from the window. But I just switched with my wife.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:16 pm
team stannis

So state rooms? Is that a thing or do you just sleep in your seat?

What about your bags? Like if I go to the head, do I need to worry about my carry on?

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:18 am
♜ vassals of kingsgrave curator ♖

I'm in. Not sure where the best place to room would be. I would assume the lodge, but the cabins on lake look nice too.

House Words: "I'm in as long as I don't have to edit."

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:38 am
★wardens of the woody★

claudiusthefool wrote:
I'm in. Not sure where the best place to room would be. I would assume the lodge, but the cabins on lake look nice too.

Some of those cabins are very fancy and huge. I don't have a strong preference between lodge and cabin myself.

Quote:
So state rooms? Is that a thing or do you just sleep in your seat?

What about your bags? Like if I go to the head, do I need to worry about my carry on?

State rooms are a thing, which costs a bunch more. The long-distance train I've been on had two kinds, one with a private bathroom and one without. It didn't look like the Cardinal train had two kinds, but I didn't look super close into that. Or you can just sleep in your seat.

I don't think I've ever gone without someone else to watch my bag, so I never had to think about bag watching when in the can. I guess so, though I'm not sure how much thieving is going to go on in a train where you can't exactly grab an iPad and run off or whatever.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:11 pm
house mormont

Eiffel wrote:

The last couple years the tickets sold out pretty quick, because of limited space and they let the first years buy first and then they opened it to the public. I would assume with the change of venues almost doubling the capacity, the tickets should be a lot easier to get this year. If I was you, I'd wait until it gets a little closer before purchasing a ticket.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:45 am
Site Admin

Need recommendations on what rooms/cabins/etc are good to book because I may be able to book mine soon.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
team stannis

I am just putting the Lodge link in here so that it is easier to find for planning...

http://www.mtnlakelodge.com/

I think a cabin might be fine if we can get enough folks together stereosmiley munchsmiley :feathered: 8-)

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:33 am

I assume the '13 attendees will be able to purchase their tickets soon. Is there a specific date for when they will go on sale for the Small Folk?

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:22 am
★wardens of the woody★

Presuming everyone who went last year got the email, but for others:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/iceandf ... 308201379/

Quote:
Hey all - it's the moment you've been waiting for [hopefully]...we've got a TICKET ANNOUNCEMENT!

2013 attendees, please keep an eye on your email, as we'll be sending some info to you within the next week.

***Tickets will go on sale to the general public beginning Saturday August 29th.*** They will be priced at $50 each. Please note that this *only* includes convention admission - no meals. We will have more info on food options at a later date
smile emoticon
Also, as usual you will not be able to book a room at the location without having first purchased a ticket...so please, please don't try
wink emoticon

Feel free to comment with questions, or to PM myself, T.M., or Brendan !

Ice & Fire Con 2016 Dates: April 22-24
( http://www.mtnlakelodge.com/ )

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Yeah I didn't get any email. Thanks for posting it.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:11 pm
Site Admin

I'll be able to book a room as of Aug 1st, but haven't decided which option yet.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:55 pm
Profile WWW

should we try to do a cabin/common area for APOIAF attendees or just try to get rooms in the lodge itself? I have no reference aside from the layout/photos on the website.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:45 pm
team stannis

Things seem pretty spread out at least as far as I can tell from Google.
I think a cabin(s) could be fun, but I am down with what the group wants to do.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:06 pm
Site Admin

http://www.mtnlakelodge.com/content/dow ... 202015.pdf

I'm hesitant to go for blueberry ridge cottages when I don't know what the walking distance is and most of the events should be closer to stone lodge. So I'm going to go for one of the rooms in stone lodge (so I can have one roommate or potentially two there if the 1 queen + 2 twins beds room is a decent deal) or one of the nearby cabins, maybe sunset or cayford cabin (that have 1 king/queen, 2 twin beds, sofa beds as well).

http://www.mtnlakelodge.com/accommodati ... tic-cabins

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
★wardens of the woody★

I was curious about that, too, (the site map is not to scale) so I called them and the front desk lady said 15 or 20 minutes to walk from there to the Stone Lodge.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:41 pm
team stannis

I'd be in for a twin bed in the Lodge or if people were able/interested in a closer cabin. Valleyview, WV, Norfolk etc.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 am
★wardens of the woody★

My sister and I would up for sharing one of the closer-in cabins Amin mentions with the group. I don't suppose we could get a count this far out and figure how big of a cabin our group could fill.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 am
Site Admin

Haven't seen cabin prices yet but the family suite (1 queen in one room, 2 twin beds in another) is $143 per night (convention rate) which should be good for 3 people, I will try to grab one of that.

http://www.mtnlakelodge.com/accommodati ... tone-lodge

Attached convention prices for some rooms:

Attachments:
20010_10102165612213118_2503125962876202982_n.jpg [50.04 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well I've got a family suite booked for Thursday-Sunday checkout, rooming with FTWard and Claudiusthefool for Friday onwards. Got one other friend staying for just the Thursday so one of you two can get the other Thursday spot if you want it.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:55 pm
Profile WWW

So are we cosplaying as Freys like I suggested last year or do we not want to be hated and despised by everyone for the whole weekend?

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:24 am
team stannis

I don't know about the whole weekend as I cosplay for an hour or so just to get photographic evidence.

I would like to do a themed APoIaF cosplay and am cool with the Freys.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:07 am
team amin

I was pretty bummed last year when my commencement got bumped to conflict with the Con, but I'm committed to doing all in my powers to make this year work.

Offically, tickets haven't started selling yet for non-2013 attendees correct? (I noticed an earlier post referenced August 29th).

Last time I checked the Facebook group, it reported that non-2013 tickets start up September 12 (or so). I'm going to run into Tara this weekend at DragonCon, so I'll re-confirm that date if needed.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:06 pm

Yeah I actually just emailed Tara and she confirmed that tickets go on sale for non 2013 attendees on Sept 12th.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:20 am
★wardens of the woody★

Soon...

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:06 pm
★wardens of the woody★

Per the Facebook group, ticket page will be opening later this afternoon for those not among the 2013 Pureborn.

Is anyone going who wants to possible share one of the cabins with my sister and I? If they haven't been snapped up, that is?

http://www.mtnlakelodge.com/accommodati ... tic-cabins

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:46 am
★wardens of the woody★

Ticketed!

Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next