View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 2:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Episode 91 
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Just started listening. Awesome so far, as always! :D

Though Cersei was married off when she was 17.

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:42 pm
podcast fanatics ☺

Professionalism is really subjective ;P
I've always enjoyed the podcast, whether the topic be cat rimming or naming your twins after Cersei and Jaime.
As long as the audio is OK and it's entertaining, nothing else really matters, at least for me :D

Twitter: vaarsuvius_

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:30 am
podcast fanatics ☺

Valid points in the after show, Amin.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:36 am
house manwoody knight

Great concise chapter reread :D

Oh and so pleased that my internal trolling of the podcast has begun with Amin being unable to pronounce my username from my extra long post ;D

"You want to know the horrible truth? I can't even remember what she looked like. I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted. Someone took her away from me... and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind."

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
house micro-woody☹

Good solid episode.

One thing just really hit my nerve:

When Nick started to talk about people complaining that Cersei's less than sane behaviour in aFfC comes out of nowhere, I was like "whaaaaaat?". Even if you discount that Cersei has not been the most level-headed charecter in the previous books either, haven't you paid any notice to what happened to her prior to Feast: Her child has just died, her dad (and maybe the most influential person in her life) has just died (both murdered) and her relationship to her lover/twin Jaime has taken a really sour turn as the guy who he expected to come back to help her was not the same guy anymore. And I'm not even including the mental stress from playing the Game with very high stakes for a long time.

And people think that the drinking and insane behaviour comes out of nowhere?

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:56 pm
house micro-woody lord

dags_g wrote:

When Nick started to talk about people complaining that Cersei's less than sane behaviour in aFfC comes out of nowhere, I was like "whaaaaaat?". Even if you discount that Cersei has not been the most level-headed charecter in the previous books either, haven't you paid any notice to what happened to her prior to Feast: Her child has just died, her dad (and maybe the most influential person in her life) has just died (both murdered) and her relationship to her lover/twin Jaime has taken a really sour turn as the guy who he expected to come back to help her was not the same guy anymore. And I'm not even including the mental stress from playing the Game with very high stakes for a long time.

I think that some people overestimate Cersei on a first read through, thinking her stronger than she is. So that when you finally get to see inside her mind and you are confronted with all teh crazies, plus, as you said, the stress that she is under from recent events that seem to have made her somewhat less stable, it can be easy to say, "OMG, she so cray."
Most people seem to miss the crazy signposts in books one to three, but then again the only POV's seeing Cersei for any decent time in book 1 are Ned and Sansa, two people she outsmarts. First impressions can be hard to shake.
Also, the next POV of her, Tyrion in book 2, still sees her as an adversary that he is constantly reacting to, so it can be easy to fall into the bias' of the POV you are reading from which are all like, Cersei is a cunning adversary.
The actual info that points to Cersei's craziness is kind of subtle, or at least more subtle than other POV's impressions of her.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:22 pm
podcast historian

still no episode 91 in the itunes store :( . i have no other option at the moment - so i have to wait.

but from the title alone - amin, if you record sime other time at 11-12 pm i would wasily have the chance to contribute.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
house manwoody knight

brynden wrote:
still no episode 91 in the itunes store :( . i have no other option at the moment - so i have to wait.

but from the title alone - amin, if you record sime other time at 11-12 pm i would wasily have the chance to contribute.

It's on my Itunes store so I'm not sure what's wrong with yours, are you subscribed to the podcast on Itunes because mine downloaded when I turned my Itunes on this morning.

"You want to know the horrible truth? I can't even remember what she looked like. I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted. Someone took her away from me... and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind."

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
podcast historian

when I go to podcasts and "search" in my itunes-app on my ipod-touch. it finds the podcast - but the newest episode is (still) 90.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
podcast doctor

this episode could've used a little more enthusiasm. i would also encourage amin when asking questions to the guest hosts to not ask as if doing so is a chore because it comes through that way sometimes. i would suggest to either ask tedious questions like "how'd you get into the series?" with more enthusiasm or to find a more interesting way to obtain that type of background information. i would say that sometimes, whether intentional or not, the hosts come across like they are just recording b/c they feel an obligation to do so and not b/c theyre really in the mood. anyway you all know i love you all and the show but just thought i'd throw in some constructive feedback. certainly a new episode is better than nothing and i can empathize that you all are busy with other things and that this is not your job. i definitely dont mean to sound discouraging b/c it was still a fun chapter re-read episode. the guest host started off a little slow, but i think he really picked up as teh show went along and overall did a very good job.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:59 pm
team stannis

I thought Nick (or as linecom might say "the guest host") was quite good. Mayhaps not the most compelling chapters but some of us appreciate Canadians polite civility ;)

Sorry for my potato obsession. Tyrion describes the wildfire containers as being like grapefruits.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm
house smallwoody

So far I'm about halfway through but I gotta say that I disagree with linecom1...I think there is plenty of enthusiasm and Ashley is rocking the episode! I'm beginning to enjoy the podcasts without Mimi more and more...it lets Ashley and Amin really take center stage and their chemistry together (in a non creepy way) is very good when bringing in a guest host like Nick or Cosmia. Great job!!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 am

I have to say it is weird to hear people try to pronounce my username. :lol:

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:31 am
house tyrell

Amin, would it help the disk space situation if you were to have (say) only 20 episodes up on the site at a time, and rotated the selection every month? There's a precedent: my daughter informs me that pokemon.com does something similar with its back catalogue of episodes.

We ASoIaF fans all expect to have to wait for all our gratifications.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:22 pm
podcast historian

Thank you for the solid episode. I liked it - it felt like an oldschool and very serious attempt - all of that is not the worst. It sometimes is great if you "just" try to get the reread done - you (and nobody) can not be hilariously funny everytime. Don't understand me wrong - it was funny and I enjoyed it, but it was not "crackpot-funny" which is quite ok. Thanks for the late night recordind btw.

I would suggest that if you reference topics of the boards, you should somewhere provide the links to those. First for pushing the boards, and second if somebody has new/other ideas and want to discuss it - it is hard to find the topics otherwise (and it prevents of opening the same discussions a second time).

And two more questions:
- What is the music that is played in the end?
- What is "Nick"'s board name?

btw: The iTunes app on my iPodTouch needed nearly 1,5 days to update the list...

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 am
Profile WWW
☁ podcast art manager ☁

Huh that's weird Brynden. My iPhone podcast app had it almost instantly. Very odd.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 am
★wardens of the woody★

Gladrian wrote:
dags_g wrote:

I think that some people overestimate Cersei on a first read through, thinking her stronger than she is. So that when you finally get to see inside her mind and you are confronted with all teh crazies, plus, as you said, the stress that she is under from recent events that seem to have made her somewhat less stable, it can be easy to say, "OMG, she so cray."
Most people seem to miss the crazy signposts in books one to three, but then again the only POV's seeing Cersei for any decent time in book 1 are Ned and Sansa, two people she outsmarts. First impressions can be hard to shake.
Also, the next POV of her, Tyrion in book 2, still sees her as an adversary that he is constantly reacting to, so it can be easy to fall into the bias' of the POV you are reading from which are all like, Cersei is a cunning adversary.
The actual info that points to Cersei's craziness is kind of subtle, or at least more subtle than other POV's impressions of her.

The other thing is, at least for me, she suckers me in a little bit because she has valid complaints about the patriarchy. So I'm thinking, 'Yeah, it is unfair that you won't ever get to lead' and 'Oh, it did suck to be Cersei married to King Waaaaaaaaaaaaah Lyanna McMarital Rape Bartheon, First of His Name.' But she' s also a horrible person and is probably smart enough to rule. So she's been sitting around thinking she's smarter than everyone and she hasn't had to learn her limitations because she's not allowed directly into politics. It's a bad combination of arrogance and inexperience.

Complex character is complex. Good on you, George.

"These wonderful narrations inspired me with strange feelings. Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous and magnificent, yet so vicious and base? He appeared at one time a mere scion of the evil principle, and at another as all that can be conceived of noble and godlike."
—The Monster, from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am

witless chum wrote:
The other thing is, at least for me, she suckers me in a little bit because she has valid complaints about the patriarchy. So I'm thinking, 'Yeah, it is unfair that you won't ever get to lead' and 'Oh, it did suck to be Cersei married to King Waaaaaaaaaaaaah Lyanna McMarital Rape Bartheon, First of His Name.' But she' s also a horrible person and is probably smart enough to rule. So she's been sitting around thinking she's smarter than everyone and she hasn't had to learn her limitations because she's not allowed directly into politics. It's a bad combination of arrogance and inexperience.

Complex character is complex. Good on you, George.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:07 pm
podcast doctor

random question, so why is it that ashley's post count is so low. was there a reason why she hardly ever posted on the forums before?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 am
team stannis

I am betting on a subtle adjustment in the ratio of Ash's coffee/energy drink/alcohol liquid diet in favor of the alcohol.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 am
house smallwoody mongoballer

linecom1 wrote:
random question, so why is it that ashley's post count is so low. was there a reason why she hardly ever posted on the forums before?

She prefers to lurk, and sticks to the anime thread.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 pm
team blacksmith

I couldn't help but laugh when Amin said that Game of Thrones is best not watched alone in sweatpants, since that's exactly how I watch it :lol:

And I do love to hear you guys discussing the forum community so warmly.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm
house payne

Yup. I sometimes watch with my brother-in-law, but otherwise I'm rocking the solo couch potato vibe pretty hard.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]