View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Episode 75 Garden of Bones 
house blackwoody lord paramount

http://podcastoficeandfire.com/episode-75-garden-bones/

Highlights for me of this podcast:

Spoiler: show
Amin and Kyle re-enacting the 'Bag of bones' scene
Mimi's Reaction to the Shadow Baby scene

I will forever imagine Amin and Kyle as the two Lannister guardsmen who die in the beginning of the episode.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am
☁ podcast art manager ☁

Yes! Loved this episode.

So you guys are going to do non-show related posts over your summer! Yay! :)

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 am
podcast historian

first: thank you for pumping out the episodes so fast.

second: pretty good episode, i liked the guys making fun during mimi is in "i'm so serious mode". and how they replay the scenes. where was ashley suddenly??

and something unrelated: this ep. is considered to be number 75. my itunes has two episodes with number 3 - so i have 76 episodes. :?

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 am
Profile WWW
house micro-woody☹

I think I want to marry Amin after all that Ros hate. I can't stand how much screen time she gets either. This was a fun podcast episode to listen to, hopefully Mimi does more live reactions because that was great lol.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 am
house tinywoody lord

The live reaction to the
shadow baby scene
was by far the best moment...

I'm pretty sure that if you did one live podcast of your reactions as you watch an episode for the first time it would be hilarious....
:lol:

Mimi:
"Woah, that bitch is so pregnant! Holy shit! Woah, well... What the fuck?! She's just spreading her legs and its just... What is... what? Oh, Jesus Christ... Holy mother of god, Davos, kill it with fire! Oh it's moving, it's moving like an alien... Oh, uh... Woah, Woah... Oh my god it's like Hexxus from FernGully coming out of her vagina. Thats insane... HOLY GOD, and now she's not pregnant.

...and scene. :ugeek:

Mere steel can't kill
-The Sword

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:24 am
house stark

I loved Kyle's Stannis as Bruce Springsteen impression. What's up with those bones...
She kinda passes for Melisandre...
Attachment:
bruce and wife.jpg [34.05 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Fantasy Football: A Njoku Needs A Name

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm
house micro-woody☹

You guys are insane on this Littlefinger thing.

He's supposed to keep the "secret" of Renly and Loras being gay but we JUST saw two random Lannister "soldiers" (translation: peasants holding their first sword) also know this big "secret". Its not a secret. And once again, if you saw Littlefinger this often in the books, he would also be pretty and getting himself pwned left and right. He's giving everyone else what they want to hear. And then he's going to fuck them. He already explained this to you. You guys are falling for his game the same way everyone else is.

And since book 3 is being stretched a lot further than books 1 and 2, I think its safe to say that Queen of Thorns will be around next season. They've already built up that the Tyrells as pushing Renly to the throne.

As for the new Mountain, sure he's skinnier than old Mountain, but the main reason why he looks smaller is the change from the blocky black armor to the stylish Lannister armor.

Once again, Kyle was the voice of reason saying that Dany could have waited till the last second before saying "Ok, I'll show you the dragons." And yes, Dany is being undiplomatic, I thought that was the point....Dany is retarded in the books and has always gotten by due to luck or Drogo or Jorah or Barristan or anything that isn't herself.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:29 pm
bastards of kingsgrave fan

enjoyed the podcast! Some thoughts...on creepy patchface..I always took the quote about "under the sea the birds have scales..." to be in reference to Jon Con and his greyscale. Just a thought.
Also I wanted to chime in on the Jaime and Theon debate.. Why I am far more forgiving with Jaime (I freaking love him) than I was in regards to Theon.
Jaime is yes- hot and probably an amazing lay..now that, that is out of the way...Jaime did push Bran from a window and yes I hated him before I read his POV chapters. However after getting in his head..I loved him..he is so different in character from Theon. He is a cocky sarcastic prick. He knows who he is, and what he is good at. I never expected him to be nice or loyal to anyone beside his sister and to a lesser extent his family. He isn't needy. He goes through his own development after he loses his hand and starts to reevaluate his life and his defense of Brienne the beloved moo cow warmed my heart..The difference with Theon..his betrayal made everything worse. He turned on his "brother", not only that but Theon is insecure and needy to a fault (the whole "look at me!" syndrome) he isn't just a dick..he is a douche bag. Jaime can be a dick because Jaime is an actual badass..Theon has nothing. He doesnt know who he is. He lacks the easy confidence that Jaime has just by being Jaime. Now after reading ADWD I did feel sympathy for him..he finally had some kind of remorse which was great to finally see..he has always been this kind of pitiful/pathetic thing even more so now.. But I was rooting for him to step up and escape from Ramsey and loved his chapters in Dance. Just wanted to add my own reasons why I loved Jaime more and was quicker to forgive I suppose

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:22 pm
littlefingerlick.gif

^^Thats great but what exactly does it have to do with the topic?

I really enjoyed the episode, I thought Mimi's live reaction was hilarious, same with Kyle and Amin impersonating Stannis and Davos.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:40 pm
fantasy manwoody champion

Kyle and Amin's "bones" discussion was hilarious. And I gotta agree about the gates of Qarth scene. It just seemed cartoony to me. And I can't remember if it was Kyle or Amin who made the point about how scenes like this turn people off of genre fiction. At one point, right after Xaro speaks up, the main merchant was like "this is highly unusual, Xaro Xoan Daxos!" and the fact that he spit out the whole name like that made me cringe. Like, there's a reason why people called him Ned instead of "Eddard of House Stark" the whole time. It's not natural to address people like that, and it stands out like a sore thumb, especially when that person has a distinctly unique fantasy/scifi-style name. I feel like they were trying to make the Qartheen seem otherworldly, and in a series so rooted in reality, the unnatural dialogue in that whole scene was more out-of-place than a woman spewing magic shadow critters from her vag.

And btw, I tried listening to Cast of Thrones the other day. I don't wanna be a hater, but there's a reason I used the word "tried". This is my way of giving some love to APOIAF without getting all mushy about it.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 pm
house mormont

So the freaky looking guy standing in the background with the 13 during the Gates of Qarth scene was indeed Pyat Pree.

And, here's the casting photo for Pyat Pree:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:43 pm
☑ guest host ♘

In other news omg Emilia in that dress

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:28 pm
podcast historian

But Pyat Pree is no member of the 13 - or do I show a shocking lack of knowledge here. I always thought warlocks and the 13 are different things...

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
littlefingerlick.gif

brynden wrote:
But Pyat Pree is no member of the 13 - or do I show a shocking lack of knowledge here. I always thought warlocks and the 13 are different things...

Yeah I thought the same.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:38 am
house stark

Awesome podcast, as usual. Like Kyle, I absolutely loved the moment when Tyrion offered Sansa his hand. Dinklage conveyed so much gentleness and compassion towards her - how does he pull that off with just a few seconds of screen time? I ended up being much more interested in watching their relationship develop onscreen than the one between Robb and Jeyne Whoever-she-ends-up-being.

As for Middlefinger, even if he's really just "playing dumb" he could at least look less slapstick while he's doing it. That "air hug" lunge toward Cat was ridiculous.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:29 am
house micro-woody lord

First time post, long time listener (and lurker). Great discussion about the episode, loved the live response to the shadow baby!

How do you all feel about how much the show is jumping around? I almost feel like they should have tried a Lost approach and focused on one character an episode (the Wire sort of/kind of did that too). It might be difficult with only 10 episodes.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:45 am
house stark

It emulates the book in jumping around e.g new chapter different POV. Sadly there would never be enough time to have character focused episodes and if they were it would be hard to show every characters development chronologically to a certain extent considering the size of the series. It's a nice idea though. I don't mind that the show jumps around as long as there is some development of the plot in the scene and that the change is fluid.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 am
fantasy manwoody champion

Index wrote:
In other news omg Emilia in that dress

Seconded.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 am
☑ guest host ♘

Quote:

From the wiki:
Quote:
The city is ruled by a council known as the Pureborn, though in practice the council has to balance its interests against those of three powerful guilds, the Thirteen, the Ancient Guild of Spicers and the Tourmaline Brotherhood. Qarth is protected by the Civic Guard and a strong navy. The rulers of the city are advised by the highly enigmatic warlocks of Qarth, who dwell in the forbidding House of the Undying.

So, no, the warlocks are not part of the 13, but also Qarth isn't ruled by the 13 in the books either.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 am
house micro-woody lord

When do you all think they will bring "Whitebeard" in? Before the last episode/last episode/next season?

It was also nice to see the Brotherhood mentioned, but no mention of Beric? I'm kind of skeptical if they actually bring him into this season (or back at all even).

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:42 am
team stannis

Puntigamer wrote:
When do you all think they will bring "Whitebeard" in? Before the last episode/last episode/next season?

i do not think the actor is listed as being in the sereis this season on IMDB

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am
house greyjoy

I am forgetting, when do the Brotherhood with out Banners get Arya? If it is in the 3rd book there wouldn't be a need to have Beric this season. Although they did give him the slightest shout out in the first season. Either way great podcast guys!

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 am
house micro-woody lord

You are correct, she doesn't run into them until Storm when she's running around with the Hound. I don't think they'll tie Beric and the brotherhood mostly because of such little build up they've given it. Small shout outs so far do not compare with the way they have built up to the Greyjoys or the way they appear to be building up to Dorne.

Beric got a cameo last season and Thoros got the smallest of shout outs. I think if they go about having red priest resurrecting guys, it will confuse the audience (since the Others do that as well).

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:55 am
for my freckles, your grace

Puntigamer wrote:
You are correct, she doesn't run into them until Storm when she's running around with the Hound. I don't think they'll tie Beric and the brotherhood mostly because of such little build up they've given it. Small shout outs so far do not compare with the way they have built up to the Greyjoys or the way they appear to be building up to Dorne.

Beric got a cameo last season and Thoros got the smallest of shout outs. I think if they go about having red priest resurrecting guys, it will confuse the audience (since the Others do that as well).

My only concern about not introducing Beric (besides being a huge fan) would be the explanation of Un-Cat. You can't just kill her and bring her back without another example of that happening and the toll it takes on that person.

Resurrection and time travel are two of my fantasy/sci-fi pet peeves. If you just start using either willy nilly then nothing that happens in the rest of the show feels significant. What's the point of worrying about anyone or anything if you can just bring them back to life or go back in time and fix it?

GRRM was smart and showed the consequences of being resurrected. Losing part of yourself and become a shell of the person you once were. Also (and I think I remember Thoros explaining this in the books) not everyone can be brought back to life. Thoros was as surprised as anyone when Beric rose that first time.

www.MADCANARD.com

FF: The Rat Cook

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:07 pm
house micro-woody lord

I sort of meant that none of that resurrecting would be in the show at all. Cat would just stay dead. Although, now I feel like they would like to capitalize on such a good plot twist. Suppose they could build to it next season depending on how they break Storm up.

I agree; I like the way GRRM shows consequences to resurrection and how it differs from what the Others are doing (although we understand very little of how their system works). That why I think the show needs to tread carefully on how it is handled. I think it also might raise issues with the whole "This is a show were people stay dead" mantra. It sort of breaks down as the book go on.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:48 pm
house smallwoody lord

Bonus points for Kyle on the Splinter reference.....

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 pm
house blackwoody

Quote:
I sort of meant that none of that resurrecting would be in the show at all. Cat would just stay dead. Although, now I feel like they would like to capitalize on such a good plot twist. Suppose they could build to it next season depending on how they break Storm up.

I think it all goes to how significantly the situation is going to affect things later on down the line. D&D probably field a lot of questions to Martin on small things to see if they can be changed/replaced with other things.

For instance, they cut Storm's End because it isn't particularly needed. Edric Storm can be introduced by other means (Varys saying he's only aware of two living bastards, and then some random lord pulling up to DragonStone with "Robert's last living bastard would do it), and the primary reason for having the siege of Storm's End beyond that is already gone: it was a means of explaining why it took so long for either of the Baratheon brothers to get their act in gear and besiege King's Landing.

We don't have that in the show: so much of the early book was removed and set in tandem with later events that it doesn't seem as if Renly has taken very long at all (I'm not one of those guys who thinks Renly was REALLY waiting for the Starks and Lannisters to wear each other down -- they'd done that significantly before aCoK even began). And it's only going to take Stannis 3.5 episodes to start his siege, so that won't seem very long, as opposed to 500-600 pages or so before we even get to Renly's demise.

That's a long way of saying certain things can be bypassed because a lot of the changes are just logistic changes. But a resurrected Catelyn out there in the world affecting the plot? There's not an easy way of getting around that. You can't exactly have some other long-lost love of Ned Stark suddenly appear and start acting all foster mother or something, much less try to replace her position in the story with a close relation like Lysa. That just won't fly. What seems like a small change in the moment can have huge impacts later down the line if you're not careful. Not resurrecting Catelyn would be a very large change that would only become bigger as the story went on.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 am
house manwoody lord

That they mentioned the Brotherhood during the torture scenes likely means that they'll feature more as the series progresses though I suspect it will be a case of some exposition dialogue by Tywin with the mountain that Arya will be privy to as she'll be around and about.

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:08 am
house manwoody lord

Puntigamer wrote:

I thought The Hound swiped Arya away from The Brotherhood *after* his duel with Beric.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:12 am
☑ ☑ ☑ guest host: triple gold club™

Jeremy wrote:
I thought The Hound swiped Arya away from The Brotherhood *after* his duel with Beric.

Yeah, but they can always write around it.

"At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way."

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next