View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Plan for Future Episodes(at least until HBO season 2 starts) 

Plan for Future Podcast Episodes?
Reviewing A Dance with Dragons, one POV at a time (one POV per episode) 35%  35%  [ 24 ]
Going back to the Clash of Kings reread (1-2 chapters per episode) 65%  65%  [ 44 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 68

Plan for Future Episodes(at least until HBO season 2 starts) 
Site Admin

Hey all. So I'm sure you've noticed the slowing pace of episode release. Part of it has been that we are all busy right now in our personal and work lives, so it is hard to record regularly. And even when we do, the editing takes 2-3 times longer than the recording, which again slows down the episode release speed.

Nevertheless, we do plan to continue recording episodes. To help with releases, it could be useful to have a few people on a trusted list we can ask to edit raw episode files for us. So if you are interested and good with using audacity (or an equivalent recorder) let us know.

So the tentative plan for the next set of episodes (until season 2 of the HBO show comes out) is to review A Dance with Dragons, but POV by POV, rather than chapter by chapter. That way we can do a deeper review of the book, but not at the snails pace of a chapter reread. The other option would to be go back to our Clash of Kings reread, moving through that, which could be good as we'll have A Dance with Dragons knowledge that may affect our reread analysis. We could also chat about how we think things from Clash of Kings will show up in the TV show.

Anyway, we are interested in your views so please vote and post about which option you prefer. One advantage of the Clash of Kings option is that we can just read a chapter or two per episode, making it more likely to get episodes out faster (in theory). For Dance with Dragons reviews (in theory) we would have to reread more chapters and that might delay things given our current busy status. But that assumes that we will actually reread all the relevant chapters per POV rather than skimming them and Tower of the Hand...

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
manwoody sweater

I say continue with aCoK chapter rereads, so you guys arnt skipping around from this book to that book. There will be plenty of time to get to aDwD. Also for reasons Amin posted, sounds like a good plan to me.

About the editing. I would like to help out any way that I can, and lately Ive had plenty of free time. I've never edited anything before and dont know anything about audacity, but I'm pretty sure I can pick it up easily enough. I just downloaded audacity. And I will tinker and practice with it a bit
Also, I do not always have access to a high speed internet connection, but thats yet to be a problem for me. Like I said, I am definitely willing to help. And I like to think that I am trustworthy.

"Gods and dogs alike delight to piss on me." ~ Eddison Tullett

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:50 pm
house micro-woody☹

Even if I'll miss the chapter rereads I really like the POV idea. If not we'll get to the aDwD rereads in about 35 years...

Having said that... I'm mainly here for the laughs so you guys can talk about pretty mutch anything you want :D

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:07 am
podcast historian

I'm for the aCoK idea. Simply because I like the format. And knowing you guys a little bit: You will have plenty of possibilities to run off the track in the direction of aDwD ;)

And it fits with the upcoming season...

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:23 am
Profile WWW
house mormont

Since they're filming the north-of-the-wall scenes for season 2 in Iceland, could you find time in an episode to discuss The Icelandic Phallological Museum?

Last edited by MadChef on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 am
☑ guest host ♘

Yay! I'm happy that you guys are back. I wouldn't be terribly upset whatever you guys decide, but I think I would prefer (like everyone else so far) to continue with ACOK in preparation for Season 2. I have a feeling that we are in no rush and you guys can probably finish the series before the next book comes out. Happy to be see familiar "faces" on the forum again :)

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:08 am
house blackwoody lord paramount

Continue with ACOK readings.

Also, more innuendo, here-say, and shocking lack of knowledge. :|

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:05 pm
house smallwoody

I don't have a strong opinion, but if I was to choose I'd say go over Dance before returning to the Clash re-read. It's new and shiny, so I'd rather hear about it first. Neither one is really time sensitive though, so I guess anything is fine.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:21 pm
☑ guest host ♘

I'd love more Clash re-reads, since season 2 is coming up and it'd be cool to refresh my memory and listen to some debates on things that'll be coming to television in the near future (plus my feelings about Dance are still "meh" lol)

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:25 pm
manwoody sweater

cosmia wrote:
I'd love more Clash re-reads, since season 2 is coming up and it'd be cool to refresh my memory and listen to some debates on things that'll be coming to television in the near future (plus my feelings about Dance are still "meh" lol)

An excellent point. Hadn't thought of refreshing my memory for the TV show. I will probably be rereading the whole series about that time anyway, so it would be good to hear about it on the podcast. But I am fine with what is decided on, either way.

"Gods and dogs alike delight to piss on me." ~ Eddison Tullett

Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:51 pm
☑ guest host ♘

Haven't listened to 65, looking forward to it.

I like both, leaning towards ADWD atm.

Also, Woo! Podcast!

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:48 am
house blackwoody lord

Both options please. and more podcasts. I have always loved listening to the show but didn't realize how much until seeing your newest episode (finally) on my iPod. Thanks APOIAF, your shocking lack of knowledge makes me very happy.

I ruv u guys. :ugeek:

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:26 pm
house micro-woody☹

I vote for aDwD, just because I'm doing a re-read of it at the moment and would love the additional insight/conversation.

I would love to help out with editing. I have experience editing some self-syndicated podcasts actually, I use SoX/Linux, but I'm familiar with many tools (software guy by trade).

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:15 pm
★wardens of the woody★

I vote for ACOK chapter reviews for the reasons already stated.

I drink wine mainly for muscle definition.

Fantasy Football Team: Lots of Cunts
Lots of Cunts is a reference to the line the Hound says in the HBO series Game of Thrones and my general opinion of my fantasy team most days.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 am
podcast fanatics ☺

Apocalypse Dan wrote:
Both options please. and more podcasts. I have always loved listening to the show but didn't realize how much until seeing your newest episode (finally) on my iPod. Thanks APOIAF, your shocking lack of knowledge makes me very happy.

I ruv u guys. :ugeek:

This. Both are fine by me. Whichever one you end up with, the other will come up I'm sure :p
APOIAF has the loveliest habit of going off the track into beautiful and wild territories... sometimes these territories even include pokemon.

Twitter: vaarsuvius_

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:08 am
house micro-woody☹

Continuing Acok rereads would be awesome.
Personally i think you guys should do some 5-10 mins AsoiaF news report again, to flesh out your conversations a bit more with the hbo show.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm
house blackwoody lord

Nothing makes me happier than acok all up in my ears. :shock:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:14 pm
Site Admin

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far, including a few people who emailed to help with editing.

Just to note that we are quite busy the next few weeks so a new recording is unlikely. But I plan to record an episode later in the month and then get back into a regular recording schedule starting in January.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
house smallwoody lord

I voted for ADWD POV's, just because if you guys do find time to get out regular podcasts, I think it will take too long to get through the chapter rereads before the 2nd season comes out, and it will get pushed to the back burner again.

Trying to figure out how many POV's are actually in ADWD? If the podcast can get out on a regular basis, even just somewhat, you guys might be able to get through all of the different POV's by the time the 2nd season of the HBO series starts.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 pm
podcast historian

ADWD POVs - from: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Adwd

Varamyr Sixskin
Jon Snow
Tyrion Lannister
Ser Davos Seaworth
Queen Daenerys Targaryen
Bran Stark
Arya Stark
Asha Greyjoy
Quentyn Martell
Theon Greyjoy
Barristan Selmy
Victarion Greyjoy
Cersei Lannister
Jaime Lannister
Areo Hotah
Melisandre
Griff
Ser Kevan Lannister

Total: 18, but most of them have only 1-few chapters. The main ones are Jon, Tyrion, Daenerys and Theon

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:44 am
Profile WWW
☑ bastards of kingsgrave guest host ♞

With the aDwD excitement mostly sedated by now, I'd love to get back on aCoK and ride it for a while.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 pm
house micro-woody lord

Season 2 is coming up fast, lets dive back into Clash please!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 am
podcast historian

We nearly have Christmas and the holidays are not so far away and 2012 is coming soon - will we get new episodes at all before Season 2?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yes one this month and then back to (hopefully) more regular recording in January.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 am
Profile WWW
♬ podcast bard ♬

I'm for CoK reread , plenty of time to get to DwD as mentioned afore

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]